Coiks DC8 - question - power supply voltage help

What's Hot
guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 376
Hey guys,

I'm wanted to make an actual pedal board. When I was last in a band I used a plank of wood and a marlin power supply. This time I'm going more premium hah. 

I'd just come to terms with the £155 outlay for a Coiks DC8 but then I noticed something, that hopefully I'm just reading wrong/don't understand. It says that there are 6 isolated sections and that the last two isolated sections and 9 and 12 volt. Looking like in each section there is a 9v and a 12v input. 

Am I right in thinking that I could only plug 6 9v pedals directly into this unit without using a splitter/daisy? The reason the pedal appeals to me that I wouldn't need to use a splitter. The only unusual pedal I have is a full tone 69 with with centre positive connection, so I just need an isolated power supply with at least 7 inputs. 

I have 7 9v pedals, no 12 volt pedals! So would that mean the 2 12 volt inputs are useless to me on the coiks dc8?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    You're reading it correctly, yes. 6 9v only connections, two surplus 12v. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah thanks a lot for the info @GavRichList ... Saved me an expensive 'doh' moment. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4774
    I have one and Gav above is right, that being said I just used to daisy chain those pedals that were never on together or played nice with each other on one of the 9v 300mA outputs with the timeline on the other. I also used the 12v output for my comp which could use the extra voltage. Great psu but obvs YMMV, wouldn't let it put you off though dude. Also you can buy a gigrig isolator if you're really bothered and use this in conjunction with the DC8.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Yes you are right, the last two outs can provide 9V and 12V (not isolated from each other) up to a max 300ma.  Some of your 9v pedals may be OK, or even better on 12v, but it depends what they are, don't just go and try them on 12v.  I'd look at a voodoo lab pedal power or truetone CS12 as an alternative.
    The DC8 actually comes with one split flex that powers 2 pedals from one output saving you from buying an extra daisy chain, I used it to power my chorus and flanger pedals as I never used them at the same time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    For the comparative price, I'd recommend the cioks / Eventide powerfactor2. Hotrox carries them pretty cheaply, and second hand would fall within budget even further. MUCH more juice available, and far more customisable. 

That said, cioks offer a bunch of splitter cables which work perfectly well. 
  • Cheers guys, right ... I think I'm back looking for a pedal power 2 then! From reading it looks like that could power 7 9v pedals with no splitters/dasiys etc? 

Thanks again!
    edited July 2017
    Cheers guys, right ... I think I'm back looking for a pedal power 2 then! From reading it looks like that could power 7 9v pedals with no splitters/dasiys etc? 

Thanks again!
    Powerfactor 2. But scratch that. Buy this one. 

http://www.hotroxuk.com/cioks-dc10-power-supply.html

That'll do what you want. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited July 2017
    or £2 cheaper from our very own forumite, custompedalboards

I've got the DC-10 and it's a great product.

https://www.custompedalboards.co.uk/product/cioks-dc10/

I don't know what you're putting it on (Pedaltrain) but look at the fitting of it and there are videos on YT.

• Oh custompedalboards looks great! i'm actually building a whole board ... I need patch cables too (well, want patch cables. Have some but they're fender custom shops that keep cutting out). 

I've just had a rethink and used the pedal board planner. It looks like I might fit everything on a metro 24 if i get a mini wah. Then I could put a Coiks DC5 underneath. On this set up, which pedals would you split the power between? I just don't want noise!

Wah - tuner - always on clean boost - uni vibe - fuzz - overdrive - delay 

Fuzz will need its own an its centre positive. 

I'm thinking wah and tuner to share, but then not sure what other pair of pedals to stare with?

Also, regarding patch cables. Is there any disadvantage regarding sound quality or noise if I use the pancake plugs, either switchcraft or hicon? 

Thanks,

Rich 
    Fuzz just needs its own cable, not its own supply. Cioks red cable if memory serves. You could use a channel split cable first then have your red off one and anything else off the other. Stick to chaining Analog if you can - you should be perfectly fine chaining boost, drive and Fuzz all on one. 
    edited July 2017
    You could also use the battery clip connector for the fuzz but you would have to make a hole in the casing for that. Thats how I did mine as it preferred battery and that way didn't need isolating either. A bit of trial and error will have you working out what best to chain together to avoid excess noise.

I think the Cioks fits pedaltrain boards better than the original Voodoo Labs but don't know about the PP2 as I've never looked. I think you had to raise the feet for the PP1 if memory serves me correct. 

I've used George Ls solderless patch cables and also Evidence too to good effect.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    If the Cioks website info isn't enough and you feel that way inclined, if you phone the company (overseas call), chances are you'll speak to Paul (Cioks) and he's very helpful. 
  • Thanks guys, I've doing a lot of reading and now I've got square eyes.

I think I'm going to go with a Coiks dc 5 and a metro 24. I'm ditching my big wah pedal. I don't use it much anyway, so just going to go with 6 pedals on the board. 

The DC 5 seems to include all the cables I'd need, one splitter cables and one centre positive cable. So perfect! 
    Wisdom awarded for wah ejection. Horrible bloody things :D
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    Wisdom awarded for wah ejection. Horrible bloody things :D
    Heathen.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    I have a Powerfactor2 for sale, if it's of interest :)