How long is too long (for a quote)

What's Hot
johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 393
Is 3 weeks too long for a quote on a new patio door/french window type thing? Been having a problem getting it sorted for a while now, had a few quote then not turn up so having to chase this latest one for a quote doesn't fill me with optimism. 
It's like it's too small a job for a building repair type to commit to, but would be too much for a general handyman to take on. Any pearls of wisdom welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Depends on how big the company are and how busy they are at the moment. Three weeks does seem a bit long, but then I've got a mate who runs a tarmacing/paving company with his sons. It's their busiest time at the moment because they do a lot of work for the council on school playgrounds and buildings, while the kids are on holiday. He's apparently got a stack of quotes to go out too, but they're so busy that they haven't had time to go through them and cost them out properly. Course a few months down the line it'll probably be too late and the customer will have got someone else in.

His wife normally does the paperwork and quotes but they're heading for retirement age and are trying to hand the running of the company over to their two lads (without much success it seems). The joys of runnng a small company.  :/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited July 2017
    If they take 3 weeks to quote how long will the work take them?

I'd have thought a local pvc company would love that job, easy money, low labour cost
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    underdog said:
    If they take 3 weeks to quote how long will the work take them?

I'd have though a local pvc company would love that job, easy money, low labour cost
    This - go find your local maker of pvc windows and doors, go to the retail counter, and ask the bloke who looks busy to recommend a "Window Fitter".  If you phone they probably won't recommend anyone (various reasons) but face to face is normally more effective.  I'm assuming you don't want the old wall modified of course.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I don't chase trades.
    I do leave online reviews when they fail to deliver a quote on time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Yep too long and don't chase them up, if they can't get a quote back to you in 6 days they've had it in my book. 
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 393
    Thanks @boogieman, yeah I think he's a one man band and flat out. Came recommended but I'm a bit concerned. @Chalky and @underdog me and the mrs also came to this conclusion earlier, existing doors are wooden and we had wanted to keep them wood, but with the hassle of fitting now thinking upvc will be better and advice there spot on. Cheers
    @octatonic and @grungebob cheers yeah you're right I'm going to right the guy off. Cheers
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    Gjohnswiss said:
    Is 3 weeks too long for a quote on a new patio door/french window type thing? Been having a problem getting it sorted for a while now, had a few quote then not turn up so having to chase this latest one for a quote doesn't fill me with optimism. 
    It's like it's too small a job for a building repair type to commit to, but would be too much for a general handyman to take on. Any pearls of wisdom welcome.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Where aee you in the UK?
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    My mum had a set of French doors fitted where a window was, that window was moved onto a new wall and the radiator below it was moved also to make way for the French doors, total cost was £1660. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    3 weeks Is nothing -  still waiting for the quote for my rear to be cladded from 4 and half years ... He must be busy still...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    existing doors are wooden and we had wanted to keep them wood, but with the hassle of fitting now thinking upvc will be better and advice there spot on. Cheers
    I'd really recommend replacing wood with wood if you can. UPVC frames look very grimy and tatty after a few years - it's hard to clean and dirt accumulates in the seams, the frames turn from white to a shade of grey. Our replacement wooden windows and doors look as good as new 10 years later, whereas the UPVC window that we had fitted at the back of the house looks terrible.

We're actually thinking of ripping out the remaining UPVC windows and getting wooden ones.

If you're in London or Herts this company is good: https://www.chasewindows.co.uk
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    57Deluxe said:
    3 weeks Is nothing -  still waiting for the quote for my rear to be cladded from 4 and half years ... He must be busy still...
    ^^^^ = patience
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16090
    UPVC is very functional but not attractive
    The modern styled alternative is powder coated aluminium in thinner more elegant frame profiles / folding sliding is the up to date favoured option ....work on about £1000 per metre of the aperture if you want a good quality mechanism.
    3 weeks for a tiddly quote is ridiculous.......400 page building specs can get done in huge detail in 28 days
    mellowsun said:
    johnswiss said:
    existing doors are wooden and we had wanted to keep them wood, but with the hassle of fitting now thinking upvc will be better and advice there spot on. Cheers
    I'd really recommend replacing wood with wood if you can. UPVC frames look very grimy and tatty after a few years - it's hard to clean and dirt accumulates in the seams, the frames turn from white to a shade of grey. Our replacement wooden windows and doors look as good as new 10 years later, whereas the UPVC window that we had fitted at the back of the house looks terrible.

We're actually thinking of ripping out the remaining UPVC windows and getting wooden ones.

If you're in London or Herts this company is good: https://www.chasewindows.co.uk
    You can clean upvc window frames with Jiff or whatever it's called these days. Comes up like new. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16090
    Thompson upvc cleaner - it leaves an anti UV coating on it ..........upvc yellows over time in the sun
    Dominic said:
    UPVC is very functional but not attractive
    The modern styled alternative is powder coated aluminium in thinner more elegant frame profiles / folding sliding is the up to date favoured option ....work on about £1000 per metre of the aperture if you want a good quality mechanism.
    3 weeks for a tiddly quote is ridiculous.......400 page building specs can get done in huge detail in 28 days
    Presumably that 400 pages gets done by a person employed to do just that? Small companies don't have that luxury. 
    We went with the local UPVC company in the end. Couldn't fault them, came to quote within 3 days, job booked in 3 weeks later, they turned up and did a great job. Couldn't fault them.