Lovely day at work

What's Hot
FosterFoster Frets: 1100
Got called in to see my manager - my mate who offered me the job. I'm currently 3 months in and still getting to grips with everything.

Was basically told "it's not working out" and i've been given a month to find a new job. Woo.

Shit weekend followed by shit day, going into the old place tomorrow to see if they'll have me back so I can continue paying my rent!
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• oafoaf Frets: 300
    With friends like that...

Good luck finding something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Sounds like a sales job to me. Good luck
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    :anguished: 

I'm three months in and have to have little reviews every month, not pleasant and MrsTheWeary will kill me if I end up back on the dole. You have all my sympathies. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Trying to take it in my stride, bloody hard work though when you know you're shit.

Going to do my best to stay off the bottle tonight too, last thing I need is another night when I end up drinking stupid amounts in minutes and get close to doing stupid stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I doubt you're shit. Likely you're not recognised within a reasonable timescale. Chin up fella. 
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Colms2005Colms2005 Frets: 18
    Don't let the bastards get you down , this patch of shit will soon be lost in your rear mirror. Best of luck in your future.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Sorry to hear this - but at least you have a month. I used to work for a (large) organisation where 'not working out' conversations meant a week's pay and 'off you pop'. The world of work can be brutal....
    Yeah tis shit but having a month is good, gives me time.

I've the festival this week, going to use it as an excuse to blot everything out of my mind and just get lost in the moment. I'm sure a bit of Colonel Mustard will help wonders.
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Foster said:
    Trying to take it in my stride, bloody hard work though when you know you're shit.

Shit is as shit does and 'does' is controllable. Think about how you didn't perform in this job and why that is, then address it. The majority of people will blame someone else for their own poor performance - I'm hoping you're the minority because, if you are, you can change it.

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Foster said:
    You're not shit, but you do need to find out what's not working out. Is it a very different role to what you were doing before? The first 3 months in a new place are tough.  
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Are you still in a probationary period?

Surely there needs to be more process to just give you a months notice? Have the reasons been properly explained and have they made any effort to work with you in order to address any shortcomings? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    One thing learned over years is never to be nice and reasonable at start of a new job.

First thing is to identify those around you whom you can lay pressure on and entrap into your regime along with those officially under you. Those that provide dissent - get them moved; those that are eager to please - exploit. And finally, talk-up a set over-blown objectives to your boss and explain that you have set in-place a programme whereby the wood will be shaken from the trees and that will identify who are the weak spots in the team. This way they get the blame and you shine regardless...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Foster said:
    Did you get the apostrophe in the right place? There's a difference between "know you're shit" and "know your shit". I hope things work out for you. If there is an up side, you haven't been let go immediately which can happen during a probationary period, you have a month to find something else. Good luck.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Sorry to hear this. Best of luck.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    edited July 2017
    Gutted for you mate. Lost my job last week and currently applying for other jobs so know what it feels like. Hope you stayed off the alcohol last night and you find something new very soon.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9593

OK, I'll say it... Are you in a union?

I guess not. Been there more than once so you have my sympathies and good luck in finding your next job.

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Foster said:
    Got called in to see my manager - my mate who offered me the job. I'm currently 3 months in and still getting to grips with everything.

Good grief. I remember the original thread where HE rang YOU up trying to get you on board... :(

That's a bummer, but something'll turn up...

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    "Mate"

hmmm....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ravenous said:

Good grief. I remember the original thread where HE rang YOU up trying to get you on board... :(
    Yes quite, I remember discussing with him how i'm not a salesman before I went to the interview (and during the interview...)

Anyway, good news - had a chat with the top brass at the old place, they're more than happy for me to return. Something about me being an asset to the company. They're not sure how it's going to exactly happen (they have to speak to parent company) because rather than have me work in the lab they want to create a new role just for me, putting me in charge of the computer systems. They're getting new awesome software and want someone to be in control of it, do training, etc, etc.
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Sounds like a good result @Foster - nice one!