Moving to a village outside Ashford from London, and still partial commuting

Am I a nutter for considering this? Everything seems right, even the extra fee for HS1 - but just not sure if I'm not understanding how much of a ball-ache it would be compared to living right in the London suburbs.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    How far into the conurbation do you have to commute?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    It's a pretty quick and pleasant journey on HS1 from Ashford to St Pancras.

I wouldn't want to do it every day though, because if there are delays/signalling problems etc then you're a bit stuck.

The benefit of the London suburbs is that usually there is more than one public transport option. Where I am there are 2 train lines within walking distance and the Piccadilly line is not far away.

Do you have a work-from-home option 1 or 2 days a week?
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Ashford is not a bad place at all, since they cleaned it up. Has a lot going for it, nice modern town centre, and good links. Ourt band's singer lives there, and she's quite happy.

As for the trains, as the guys above said, but I think the commute is a reasonably quick one.

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Pretty sure that there's two train routes into London.

1. Old South Eastern route via Sevenoaks into Cannon Street 
    2. New High Speed (Javelin) into St Pancras. Quicker route but more expensive.
  • How far into the conurbation do you have to commute?
    9 minutes no traffic, probably 15 mins with traffic - 3 days a week

mellowsun said:

Yes, exactly this - my wife is a contactor and has had 2/3 days working from home for every placement in the last couple of years and I have (for now) got remote work status on my job.

Thanks guys, @exocet  @chillidoggy  - I'm just a bit worried about giving up all that easy connection, but part of me yearns to get out into the countryside for a change (after 30 years in the big smoke)
    How far into the conurbation do you have to commute?
    9 minutes no traffic, probably 15 mins with traffic - 3 days a week

mellowsun said:

Yes, exactly this - my wife is a contactor and has had 2/3 days working from home for every placement in the last couple of years and I have (for now) got remote work status on my job.
    It sounds compelling in that case. We nearly made the move (slightly further afield, to East Sussex) as we both love the sea and the countryside, but changed our mind (for now).  May revisit the prospect again in the future.

Upheaval is hard, particularly if you have ties to where you are, friends, family.

There is good countryside in the London suburbs though - here's some winter photos from my local area (Zone 5 London)
  • @mellowsun where is that, roughly?

We've been thinking of moving, from tube zone 4 where we have no ties to outside the M25, on the Chiltern line possibly.  
    @Guitar_Slinger  it's Enfield Chase

• Yarr   :s , thanks.  Was hoping it was west of the M1, on the Metropolitan Line.

As with the OP, what's to think about is the upheaval ball-ache, having plan B if the train doesn't work and what happens if you've accidentally moved to Royston Vasey?  :)

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    exocet said:
    Pretty sure that there's two train routes into London.

1. Old South Eastern route via Sevenoaks into Cannon Street 
    2. New High Speed (Javelin) into St Pancras. Quicker route but more expensive.
    Most trains on Route 1 go to Charing Cross.  There's also a route into Victoria via Maidstone East.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • Well I can drive to the office - but if the wife is also driving (and at different times) then not only is that the cost of another car + insurance + extra dog care (£16/day)