Deep Purple with Royal Philarmonic Orchestra

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2608
in Music tFB Trader

Not seen this before today..   Fascinating...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615

Yep, brilliant pc of work, especially for 1969 when music attitudes varied across disciplines

Love the bit where Ritchie goes into an unplanned extended solo & the premier conductor of the day is flicking through his score trying to figure out where they are LOL

I was too young when this came out but went to the 30th anniversary 1999 performance at Albert hall

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Richie Blackmore hated it and at the time people just laughed ... I'm a Deep Purple fan but I never liked this ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The most interesting thing about this is trying to determine wether Blackmore or the conductor is the most over blown, pompous, self indulgent w*nker, 

Its just b*llocks isn't it.....
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Another band on their farewell tour this year. Was debating with myself whether to go, but got too many other commitments.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    The two highlights for me are Ian Gillan's singing and Ian Paice's drum solo.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Its interesting, as Blackmore is using an AC30... and his 335... and still sounds like Richie.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    Ritchie was smiling at the end too. They all look incredibly relieved. Some great playing all round.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    impmann said:
    Its interesting, as Blackmore is using an AC30... and his 335... and still sounds like Richie.
    Yes - he'd started using the Strat in DP, but used the 335 for this.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    prowla said:
    impmann said:
    Yes - he'd started using the Strat in DP, but used the 335 for this.
    Not strictly true. He played the 335 on all the early DP albums and was often seen with a Strat and 335 when playing live. Check out this video. He plays both a Strat and the 335 on early DP songs.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    When Blackmore moved from the 335 to the Strat he started all of that nonsense of mucking about with the guitar rather than playing it.

He would never have abused a 335 in the same way that he did a Strat, and to an extent I think that the live show suffered as a result. I'd certainly be hacked off if I was at a live gig and he spent half the time chucking the guitar around rather than playing it.