Help me decide on the new floating bridge for my N2

ElxElx Frets: 412
Just got this from a friend, this guitar should not be this good, but it is and I like it a lot. However, I do want to change the bridge. In case you ask why changing the bridge if it's already good, well for the same reason monkeys lick their dicks…because they can! :)

It's a Washburn Nuno N2, not American, not Japanese, not Korean, but Chinese, and a really good one.

My preference would be Gotoh, what do you guys say? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElxElx Frets: 412
    edited February 2014
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926

It depends on the dimensions of the current rout, and also the post spacing. Floating trems aren't necessarily interchangeable.

Some good floating trems include Gotoh, Schaller and Ibanez, along with the original, of course. You'll have to do a bit of researching into what will fit though :)

• I went through this thought process and arrived at Gotoh. If it's a Washburn 600S (same shape as a Takeuchi TRS-101) as per the Korean ones (it looks like one from the photo), post spacing is smaller than an original Floyd I believe. I must stress that I never did it though! There are diagrams on the net, do some measuring.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Schaller. Put one on my Jackson, got a better (to my ear) tone, and more sustain, over the original bridge.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Three choices gotoh, schaller and original floyd. All good, I'm thinking of trying the new schaller lockmeister in a charvel. The gotoh is great for the money.

@Van_Hayden ; I've had original and Schaller in the Jackson. To me, the bridge made nearly as much difference as changing the pickups.....

It went from the standard Jackson P/ups via Pearly Gates to a Bulldog/Duncan Distortion set-up, all with both bridges, but I settled on the Schaller for the bestest tone with each of the P/ups.

And the Bulldog/Duncan P/ups for the same reason.

All purely subjective to me though.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    Bidley said:

It depends on the dimensions of the current rout, and also the post spacing. Floating trems aren't necessarily interchangeable.

Some good floating trems include Gotoh, Schaller and Ibanez, along with the original, of course. You'll have to do a bit of researching into what will fit though :)

That's what I'd have thought. Whatever one fits easiest will probably make most sense :))
  • mike_l;165630" said:
    @Van_Hayden  I've had original and Schaller in the Jackson. To me, the bridge made nearly as much difference as changing the pickups.....

It went from the standard Jackson P/ups via Pearly Gates to a Bulldog/Duncan Distortion set-up, all with both bridges, but I settled on the Schaller for the bestest tone with each of the P/ups.

And the Bulldog/Duncan P/ups for the same reason.

All purely subjective to me though.
    @mike_l I agree trems do make a big difference, on a par with pickup swaps. But it can be a pain in the backside swapping them, watch the profile of the post matches the knife edge of the trem. Different spacing, different threads. Grrrrr....
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    Cheers guys, I will have to make the measurements and see what my options are...
    @mike_l I agree trems do make a big difference, on a par with pickup swaps. But it can be a pain in the backside swapping them, watch the profile of the post matches the knife edge of the trem. Different spacing, different threads. Grrrrr....

I guess I've been lucky then, the Jackson, ESP, Ibanez* and Original Floyds have all been directly swoppable, without any issues.

I didn't actually swop this one out, but did put it face-to-face with an OFR, and everything matched up.