bass sounds...

What's Hot
What's up with me.....i actually prefer the bass sounds in my boss dr880 than my own actual really bass guitar? :o
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• So use those then?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Chances are that the bass guitar samples in the DR880 are the usual Roland suspects, drawn from the Spectrasonics Bass Legends sample library. Laboriel, Miller and Patitucci. https://www.spectrasonics.net/products/legacy/basslegends.php
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited August 2017
    It may be time to think about getting a new bass guitar 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    lol,

Until I got a decent bass guitar, I would have said the same. I shuoldn't have been surprised how much better a good bass sounds vs a cheap or average one really. But I was,
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    My bass is the one I gig with - myself and the other guitarist in my band share bass duties. Tis a cheapo yes - Ibanez £200 jobbie with 2 humbuckers - sounds good at the fatter sounds...its the brighter snappy twangy sounds it just cant do at all that well. But methinks I'd need a bass with single coils for those sounds. The £300 bass I sold when I got this was that - the opposite, brighter n twangier but not as phat. The Boss DR880 thought has great sounds inside (and lots of 'em even upright bass), just I find it easier to just play the bass rather than program stuff in.
  • How are they wired? If series then you might have more luck with parallel.

But yeah if you want snap and bright then singles do that better. Try a Jazz bass and see what you think
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    siraxeman said:
    My bass is the one I gig with - myself and the other guitarist in my band share bass duties. Tis a cheapo yes - Ibanez £200 jobbie with 2 humbuckers - sounds good at the fatter sounds...its the brighter snappy twangy sounds it just cant do at all that well. But methinks I'd need a bass with single coils for those sounds. The £300 bass I sold when I got this was that - the opposite, brighter n twangier but not as phat. The Boss DR880 thought has great sounds inside (and lots of 'em even upright bass), just I find it easier to just play the bass rather than program stuff in.
    Get a P bass, a decent one, and glory in the sound of a split coil. You won't want anything else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Get a P bass, a decent one, and glory in the sound of a split coil. You won't want anything else.
    Except a Jazz and a Stingray.

Then you won't want anything else.

Or so I hope anyway 
    Get a P bass, a decent one, and glory in the sound of a split coil. You won't want anything else.
    Except a Jazz and a Stingray.

Then you won't want anything else.

Or so I hope anyway 
    Had a Stingray, found I wasn't using it.

Tried so many Jazz basses and didn't find one that I liked playing
  • Stingrays are the least versatile of the 3 IMO, but have a recognisable sound that is very cool.

I love Jazz basses personally, but if your issue is with the neck maybe a P neck on Jazz body might suit you best if you ever build more stuff
    Stingrays are the least versatile of the 3 IMO, but have a recognisable sound that is very cool.

I love Jazz basses personally, but if your issue is with the neck maybe a P neck on Jazz body might suit you best if you ever build more stuff
    Current build is a PJ. I have a future plan to build a J with a P neck - probably not quite 1.75" but probably 1.65 ish
    Stingrays are the least versatile of the 3 IMO, but have a recognisable sound that is very cool.

I now have Bridgehouse's Stingray and I'd say it is very versatile. Broad range of tones.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited September 2017
    They are versatile, but they always sound a bit like a Stingray no matter what you do, especially the single H versions - which is a more distinct sound than a Precision or Jazz, at least IMO.  Despite only having one pickup, a Precision bass can sound good for pretty much any situation or genre, and through most overdrive/distortions/fuzzes as well.  I find Stingrays get more picky when you start distorting them a bit, due mostly to their core tonality.  I do like them quite a lot actually, but those are my observations.

As far as I'm concerned P, J, and Ray are the core classic bass sounds (in the same way I'd view Strat, Les Paul, and Telecaster with guitars) and any of them make for a good choice.

The feel of the necks on Stingrays is amazing, assuming you're doing the oil and wax maintenance as suggested 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Agree with Monsieur Fishbay.
    I have a P, J and a Stingray.

My core recorded bass tone is a the bass into a tube DI/preamp (a Groove Tubes ViPre) and then into a Distressor (a type of compressor) set to opto.
    My EQ of choice is an API 550 but most of the time I track without it.
    I haven't used a bass amp for recording since 2000- before the ViPre/Distressor I was using a Sansamp.

I prefer the Stingray for most of the music I do, I like how they distort under mid to heavy compression but the P and J are often easier to fit into mixes. The Stingray has a lovely rasp to it.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    A band leader I used to play for called the Stingray the 'I am here' sound. I've had 3. Currently got the 2 band and just have all the controls on max except for reggae. 

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Might I ask how old the strings are and what type/brand?

They are versatile, but they always sound a bit like a Stingray no matter what you do, The feel of the necks on Stingrays is amazing, assuming you're doing the oil and wax maintenance as suggested 
    Yeah, they do, to be fair. And I agree, they do have a sharp attack to them. IT is the sound I have loved since I was starting out playing guitar in 1984! A sound I had been trying to emulate for years.

as for maintenance, not yet, I've only had it a couple of months. Tell me more.....
  • @Snap ;

Check the section for  

How do I maintain the "unfinished" neck on my Ernie Ball Music Man bass?

here - https://www.music-man.com/faq

"An annual (or so) dose of tru oil and gunstockwax will help to keep the neck maintained; we use and recommend Birchwood-Casey Tru-oil, but any good quality gunstock oil will work."

• After you've finished, with the wax, it feels like your thumb glides around the neck.  It's the nicest feeling neck finish I've ever played.
    Thanks, everyone loves a gliding thumb right?