SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Taylor Grand Concert/Grand Auditorium (412ce/414ce or similar)

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5595
edited September 2017 in Acoustics £

On the lookout for a Taylor Grand Concert/Auditorium series, probably something like a 412ce-R or 414ce-R

Had the opportunity to buy a 712ce here a few months back but my budget just wouldn't stretch at the time.  Sadly that one has sold now but thought I'd throw this out there to see what's about.

TIA

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    What's your budget @Haych ?

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5595
    Well I've seen a used 412ce for around £1700 so it'll be in that ballpark. I think that's a bit pricey for a used 412 but wouldn't be wanting to go much more than that unless it was a 712 or 812. 

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1264
    There's a 714ce in my local guitar shop at £1799. Pretty sure you could knock a bit off, Neil Ogden, the owner and a drummer for Demon is a top bloke to deal with.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1835481669814828&id=154642621232083
    Thanks, that's a pretty good price. However I'd want the shorter scale flavour, if it was a 712 I'd snatch his hand off. 

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1264
    No worries dude, good luck with the search.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    edited August 2017
    I've got a 324ce-k that I'm looking to move on, it's an all koa fall limited model from 2014/15:

https://i.imgur.com/H4jwDCD.jpg
    Thanks @Guitargeek62 but again this has the longer scale that I'm hoping to avoid.  I appreciate the heads up all the same though.

• Ah good point, I missed that!
  • You seem to be looking for a 12-fret model, however remember that the third digit in Taylor's model numbering system identifies the body shape. Therefore a 412 is a Grand Concert, the smallest size; a 414 is a Grand Auditorium which is the next size up. "412" in your original post doesn't identify a shorter scale 12-fret model - these are available with different body shapes. Suggest you keep a look out for a 412CE 12-fret. I'm also looking for a 12-fret but they're not easy to find and the only ones I've seen are around £2000+.

Good luck in the search to us both!        

edited August 2017
    All the x12 from 312 up have the shorter scale. They come in 12 and 14 fret models. 

Just popped to my local PMT to have a look at their Taylor range, although the only shorter scale guitar they had was a 522e 12 fret.  I have to say I came away feeling quite disappointed.  The 714ce I tried was really well built and sounded good strummed but lacked any kind of touch sensitivity when picked.

The smaller bodied all mahogany 522e projected a bit better but I still would have felt a bit disappointed at spending a cool £2700 on a guitar that wasn't that responsive.

I also tried a Gibson Hummingbird and that was the most disappointing of them all - better built than any modern electric Gibson I've played but again, not resonant and not easy to play like the Taylors were.

The search continues.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Steve-OSteve-O Frets: 37
    Hi,

I'm also in the hunt for a grand concert, mainly for fingerpicking. Recently, I went to a local Taylor dealer and played them all from the 312 up to the 912 and to be honest I didn't notice a great deal of difference in the higher end models to justify the price tag. Personally, I favour the full body models as opposed to the cutaway but they seem to be rarer.  I think I prefer the feel of the 12 fret models but I'm not a fan of the classical style tuners they have on those models.  Goodluck with your search!

• I have a 414 for sale on these pages (though I've let the advert lapse a bit lately). I travel about a fair bit so meet-ups may be possible. Please PM me if you're interested. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/94061/
  • I have a 712ce and I love it.  Not for sale, sorry, but I would encourage the OP to keep looking.  I had a go on a 322 a couple of years ago and liked it just as much.  They are relatively inexpensive for a Taylor too.
  • Ps don't you love it when folks don't bother reading your thread properly and keep offering you something that you clearly don't want.
    Still looking, just sayin' :)

OK, so just had a play on a 414ce-R at my local PMT and was suitably blown away by it so am now open to anything in the longer scale grand auditorium series - have edited the thread to reflect!

• Hi Hatch - pm sent.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    I have a 2002 414 CE that, sadly, I rarely play . . . Great condition, awesome action . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• Haych said:
    OK, so just had a play on a 414ce-R at my local PMT and was suitably blown away by it so am now open to anything in the longer scale grand auditorium series - have edited the thread to reflect!
    My Koa one’s still available!