A stressful time. and a NBD

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6121
in Off Topic tFB Trader
Well i have to say its been a very stressful couple of weeks and I rarely flap.

So my wife went to her midwife appointment as per usual for the 34 week checkup, It had been a really easy pregnancy up until that point. Anyway, queue worried face from the midwife and we were directed to the hospital because of my wifes onset of high blood pressure.

well the best laid plans seemed to go out of the window because once at Oxford John Radcliffe hospital they wouldn't let my wife leave, apparently she had developed Preeclampsia and both my wife and my unborn daughter were now in trouble.

So, we were told to prepare for an early birth and the after 24hrs of observations the inducement started. suffice to say this isn't a quick process, however after another 24hrs of waiting I was told to get something to eat and get some air, no sooner had i finished eating than i had to rush back to the maternity ward.... push. push push and our 4.8lb bundle of joy was born 5 weeks early. phew what a relief....... or so we thought.

however as is the way with these things an hour alter two things happened that nearly broke me, first my wife collapsed (i caught her thankfully) and bled out 1.5litres of blood.... then after being resuscitated we settled down. an hour later and my daughter stops breathing.

Queue, another resuscitation team and all improves, albeit she was admitted to the High dependancy Baby Unit and placed in an incubator on a drip, an antibiotic drip, measurement equipment and a feeding tube. We have been in HDU ever since although we have since transferred to another hospital more local to home.

I have to say, I've dealt with some S**t in my life but this has got to be the scariest most exhausting (mentally and physically) thing I have ever been through... Thank goodness for the NHS, I couldn't have hoped for better treatment from a more dedicated group of individuals. Everyone from the midwives, to the nurses, Doctors and healthcare assistants have been beyond reproach.

My daughter isn't home yet, but things are improving, she is getting stronger, all of the wires save for the feeding tube are gone and I really can't wait to see her in her nursery.

Anyway, apologies for that, i need to write it all down somewhere and share, I'm worn out tbh and I'm so lucky cos my wife is such a strong person, amazing what strength mums have within....

http://i.imgur.com/AiXxLn2.jpg

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 41reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Wow.

That sounds like a crazy time for all of you.  Wishing you all the best and congratulations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Blimey, that was eventful. Sounds pretty similar to the experience My Wife and I had for the birth of our Daughter, although she was induced for a different reason.

Congratulations, and wishing you and your Family the very best.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited August 2017
    Wow. What an ordeal. So glad that things are on the up. I hope things continue to get better and better. 

And there I was thinking you'd bought a bass. Puts things into perspective 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    JAYZIZ! Sending positive thoughts to you all and glad things are looking up. Sounds horrendous, and hoping we don't experience anything like that when our boy arrives in December. All the best to you and your family sir! 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    Glad she's ok.

I have great sympathy. I almost lost my missus and 2nd daughter during birth. Baby spent a couple of weeks in HDU before being allowed home.

I did not expect her to survive.

Now she's a massively argumentative 11 year old.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Holy crap, that IS the "scariest most exhausting" thing that will happen to most people.

Sounds like it's going as well as could be at the moment though... so congratulations and best wishes!

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    That sounds utterly terrifying. I hope everything is smooth sailing from here on out. Touch wood!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Congratulations on your daughter, she looks beautiful. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    It took me ages to work out why you hadn't posted any pictures of your new bass.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4256
    Blimey, even my two relatively straightforward child birth experiences were completely terrifying, can only imagine what you have been through.....
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    congratulations and great pic. glad things are looking up, that sounds properly scary!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Wow. Sending all the best wishes to you, and hoping everything is smoother from here onwards. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308

All the best to you and your wife. Congratulations.

I hope mini Thorpy is home soon.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Stone me, that's quite a day!  Pleased to hear that everyone's well, best wishes to you all.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Congratulations, and a big thumbs up the wonderful staff we have working for us in the NHS. 

Hope the whole family is home soon.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Wow, what an experience...I'm sorry you guys didn't have the easy start to her life.  But massive massive congrats to you for the lovely little girl :)

It's a weird thought, but it gives you a strange gift...When our second child was born he was unresponsive for about a minute/90secs.  Felt like forever and was scary as hell, as we were just sat there watching everyone gathering round him and couldn't do a thing.  Then he let out this massive cry and it was amazing.  Now, even if it is 4am, I can smile at his cry (not in a mean way...).  

Ps...where is the thread where the forum decides her name? 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    You have my sympathy.  My wife had pre-eclampsia with our first one.  She also lost a lot of blood.  She was in a high dependency unit for a few days afterwards and had to have a blood transfusion.

Our daughter was fine though.  I'm glad I didn't have to go through that.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    Congrats mate... those new 2017 models look beautiful...
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited August 2017
    Sorry you all had to have the experience and I wish you all the best. Try not to worry as Units are well-equipped and very familiar with these sorts of situations these days and I'm sure all will be well.

We had the same with both my wife and son (he was born at 26 wks and weighed 2lbs). He's now a strapping 13 yr old and all's fine and there are no issues. Also, with that start in life, they tend to have quite a bit of fight in them.

You all take care and congratulations on Thorpy Jr (Eleanor)

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Can honestly say i would have soiled myself at what you've described, so well done all and congrats