Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fretboard Jams - the future - calling all North and South residents!

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    tFB Trader
    I suppose no ideal option for the North that suits all - But taking Scotland out of the question for now, Leeds is well serviced by motorways/access - Manchester and Greater Manchester conurbations + South Yorks area are all only around an hour away, so big populations surrounding the area  - Go further North to say Newcastle and less surrounding population and certainly no one lives East of Newcastle and very little north of there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'm a miserable northern bastard (on a good day) who doesn't like to travel far, for anything. Why the bloody ell should should I? ;)
     And both Leicester and Leeds are within reach, so Leeds is probably a bit south for north, thanus..
    Plus.. it's Leeds!
     ;) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I'd be in for a North one.. I'm North Wales so Manchester area would work nicely for me :) On the other hand.. North Wales does have North in the title so.... ;)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    LuttiS said:
    I'd be in for a North one.. I'm North Wales so Manchester area would work nicely for me :) On the other hand.. North Wales does have North in the title so.... ;)
    Yes, I'm a. It concerned that Leeds is a bit East, given Leicester is also East. 
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited August 2017
    LuttiS said:
    I'd be in for a North one.. I'm North Wales so Manchester area would work nicely for me On the other hand.. North Wales does have North in the title so....
    Yes, I'm a. It concerned that Leeds is a bit East, given Leicester is also East. 
    Actually Leeds is quite central. The m62 corridor goes all the way to Hull and that's a good hour and a half East of Leeds. Leeds and Manchester are easily connected by train or car and the majority of trains from Scotland go through either Leeds or York. On that basis, even though it's Dirty Leeds (to give it its full name), it's probably the best location. 

Of course...Huddersfield (my second home!) is right smack in between the two and about as central as it gets  

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    bigjon said:
    I think a good reason why the September one took off so quickly is because Leicester is easily accessible from a wide area (eg direct train from Cambridge where I'm based). I'd therefore suggest central rather than West / East, say Oxford or even Watford / Milton Keynes rather than Swindon or Bristol.

I'd potentially be interested in the Southern one, and in the Northern one if it's in Leeds, as my folks live there :-)
    I wouldn't regard Swindon as West.  According to Google, it's 228 miles from Penzance and only 164 miles from Dover so you could argue that it's more East than West.  As for Milton Keynes or Watford, they are definitely East not central.

If anyone does want to come from the South-West proper (Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset), Swindon is definitely easier to get to than Oxford.  It would also be easier for anyone who wants to come from South Wales as it's straight along the M4.  Someone coming from Kent/Sussex wouldn't have to spend as long on the M25 either which has got to be a good thing.

It's also likely to be significantly cheaper than Oxford.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    LuttiS said:
    I'd be in for a North one.. I'm North Wales so Manchester area would work nicely for me On the other hand.. North Wales does have North in the title so....
    Actually Leeds is quite central. The m62 corridor goes all the way to Hull and that's a good hour and a half East of Leeds. Leeds and Manchester are easily connected by train or car and the majority of trains from Scotland go through either Leeds or York. On that basis, even though it's Dirty Leeds (to give it its full name), it's probably the best location. 

Of course...Huddersfield (my second home!) is right smack in between the two and about as central as it gets  
    I'd be up for Leeds but somewhere like Huddersfield or Halifax might be more convenient for the Manchester/North Wales crew than Leeds?
    I'm in York, and these places are definitely in the North (saying that as someone who grew up down in Bournemouth ;-) )
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
    I'd be up for Leeds but somewhere like Huddersfield or Halifax might be more convenient for the Manchester/North Wales crew than Leeds?
    I'm in York, and these places are definitely in the North (saying that as someone who grew up down in Bournemouth ;-) )
    My first crew!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonka said:
    LuttiS said:

Ahhh Halifax! I've whiled away many a summers eve, perched on Saddleworth Moor, listening to the soft ambient sound of police sirens and watching the gentle glow of car fires ;) 

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2017
    For those up North, I did my PGCE in Leeds so I spent a year there and feel semi-qualified to butt in.  Given that it's on the M1, it would be easier for those coming from places like Newcastle.  You are also more likely to get people coming up from places like Nottingham and Derby, although I realise they will be Southern Softies to the proper Northerners.

I actually did my main teaching practice in a small town called Cleckheaton that is about 13 miles West of Leeds on the M62.  Somewhere like that might be a decent compromise for those in cars.  Public transport was rubbish though.
  • Cleckheaton is basically Huddersfield, where there are several decent studios plus I could likely borrow a church or a barn if we wanted to keep costs down. My outlaws have a farm. We'd have beef and bbq facilities ;) 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cleckheaton is basically Huddersfield, where there are several decent studios plus I could likely borrow a church or a barn if we wanted to keep costs down. My outlaws have a farm. We'd have beef and bbq facilities ;) 
    + horsey rides?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Swindon is about as far west we could go before it became a West-Country Jam - it's still quite a haul from London based peeps (or worse still North,South or East of London).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited August 2017
    Jalapeno said:
    Swindon is about as far west we could go before it became a West-Country Jam - it's still quite a haul from London based peeps (or worse still North,South or East of London).
    Not as big of a haul as I would have! 
    3 hours including an eighty quid ferry crossing.......Swinedon appears well served by major roads
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Jalapeno said:
    As someone who grew up in Devon, it's not proper West Country until you are SW of Bristol.

I live in London now, so further East would be more convenient for me, but I think somewhere reasonably central along the M4 would be the best option.  If you go further East you will lose people from the SW and from South Wales.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    Leeds is not North!

How many of us from north of the border are interested?
    Newcastle is a bit of a pain to get too from the north. Would somewhere around Carlisle/cumbria work?

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Leeds is about 3 and a half hours North of where I live, so its QUITE North ;)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    Leeds is North enough that you have days in the winter where it just doesn't seem to get light.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    Leeds is about 4 hours south for me!
    Bloody southern shandy drinkers who think the north starts at Watford gap.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Cleckheaton is basically Huddersfield, where there are several decent studios plus I could likely borrow a church or a barn if we wanted to keep costs down. My outlaws have a farm. We'd have beef and bbq facilities ;) 
    Now we're talking!!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.