Sell Stingray for lighter bass?

What's Hot
DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
I have a stingray 5, proper American one that I really love, but ive got sciatica and its too heavy for me to play for 3 hours straight.

First question is do they sell for around £1000? It has the hard case and is in mint condition. Sunburst model from 2015 I think.

Second is what is a decent light bass for around £500 or so? I'm in a pink floyd tribute band and thats the only time I play bass, so probably wanting something that looks like a p bass.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited August 2017
    £1000 would be correct for a lightly used one if there are no serious finish dings or chips. Mint £1100-1250

If you want a 4 string P bass then you can get a Mex or CIJ bass in the £500 range that will be a fair bit lighter, if you upgrade the tuners to Gotoh GB640 then even more so.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    I should be able to sell for the mint prices. As far as I know there isn't a mark on it.
    Watch, I'll go home and find a massive dent now. 

I don't mind buying used and would prefer a 5 string because it means that I don't have to drop D for songs from The Wall.
  • If you buy used get the seller to weigh it before you buy, as basses can vary quite a bit.  You can get light Stingrays - but you can also get total boat anchors.  I really wanted to buy a specific model in the US, but when I tested it I'm not kidding in saying it made my 11.5lb Les Paul seem reasonable,  It must have been 13lb easily.

It's hard to go wrong with a P bass and it shouldn't be too hard to find one of reasonable weight 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited August 2017
    If you want a light 5 you will have to play alot of them in person and look for sometging like an MTD or modern style with lighter bodies. 5 string Ps are not common either. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited August 2017
    DefaultM said:
    drop D for songs from The Wall.
    Hipshot D-Tuner. Simples.

The Fender RW signature P Bass amounts to a Fifties-style Classic series model with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pickup, random, assorted hardware finishes and the all-important flat wound strings.

A pre-owned Fender MIM P Bass in the tasteful black plus a few choice modifications would do the job. Try several until you find one that is acceptably light.

If you are not a brand name snob, a Squier VM or CV Precision Bass with either a Duncan QP or the EMG GZR pickup would deliver.
    Be seeing you.
    Roger Waters uses flatwounds? I didn't know that. Though I wasn't really getting accurate tone with the stingray anyway.
    I was considering a squier, but I had a decent one previously and when I got the stingray it put it to shame.
    Just concerned it would be too big a drop in quality, but this was years ago. They've probably improved now.
    edited August 2017
    DefaultM said:
    Roger Waters uses flatwounds? I didn't know that. Though I wasn't really getting accurate tone with the stingray anyway.
    Some of the bass guitar performances on The Wall are not Jolly Roger.  

http://www.rotosound.com/jazz-bass-77/

Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    If you're looking for a light bass, don't get a 5-string. It's very rare/never that you'll find a light 5-string that sounds right on the low B string - if there's not enough body mass to stabilise it, the heavy string doesn't resonate cleanly. It's not impossible there are exceptions, but that's my experience anyway… and almost certainly so at the cheaper end of the market.

A 4-string with the bottom string tuned down to D sounds much better. Have a look at a Mexican Fender P-Bass, but be prepared to shop around - a friend of mine bought one, which was a total dog… luckily he was able to send it back. He then went and found another one - identical spec - in a shop which is quite seriously the best modern P-Bass I've ever played.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23960
    Stingrays are heavy. Can't get round it.

I was lucky with mine - it was pretty lightas they go - then I put Hipshot Ultralight tuners on it. That actually knocked off half a pound.

Then I put in EMGs - which sound great but without thinking about it... an EMG soapbar pickup (40DC) actually weighs over 300g. So a pair adds almost a pound and a half back on!

It is currently undergoing surgery to remove the EMGs and install an Aguillar P pickup which weighs sod all.

It should end up weighing about 8.5lb if I've done my sums right

Anyway - as ICBM said, most cheap 5 strings have a shite low B, and the ones that don't tend to be heavy.
    The Ibanez SR1205 or 1305 is probably the best (and dirt cheap used) but the low B still won't sound like a Ray low B.

HOWEVER... if you fancy trying a 4 string tuned drop D or putting a D tuner on, then have a look at this

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/307474-ft-marleaux-consat-4-strings-for-stingray-5/page__hl__dibetou__fromsearch__1

Marleaux are may favourite basses in the universe. As well built as Fodera (but without prices needed to cover New York rent) and beautifully sounding.Not clanky like a Ray - just a lovely piano tone

The model in the advert was part of a special run of super light weight ones made with Dibetou (African Walnut), so it's plain and classy and only weighs a smidge over 7 lb.

(Top tip - if it comes with Marleaux strings. Take them off and melt them. They are shite. I have no idea who makes them for Marleaux but they should be ashamed. Put D'Addario Nickels on it instead)

I like that but he's only looking for a stingray in black with rosewood fretboard, or a light 5 string and please don't offer anything else :(

I've always wanted a Warwick thumb 5 bolt on. I bet they're heavy aren't they?
    Sell yours and buy the Marleaux.

Warwicks are heavy. As heavy as a fat bloke who has eaten 3 fat blokes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Try a German-made Warwick Corvette - four string or five. The stock MEC Dynamic Correction J hum-cancelling pickups are not the snappiest sounding. (This might actually suit your requirements for P Bass-like thud.) The onboard stacked knob active EQ more than compensates for this, when needed.

This video is for the later Korean-made Pro Series version but it gives the general idea.

Be seeing you.
  • If you want a light instrument that could get a strong low B and get ballpark of classic sounds then get Fender US Standard.  A used one would be outside of your budget, but it would be worth saving for IMO.  There are plenty of light ones about, and the re-enforced necks really help with getting good low notes.
    Have to try a lot of 5 string fenders though.

Some of them are shocking.

If the OP likes the Ray neck - then the Fender will be a surprise. It's a lot wider at the nut. I'd love a good 5 string Fender P, but it's far too wide for me

Fender 5 is 47.8mm and the Ray is only 44.5mm.

Makes a massive difference. The Fender isn't a thin neck either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Generally how high is the action on a bass? I've just always played this one as it came to me, but the strings are very thick and very high off the fretboard. They must be close to 1cm above the 12th fret.
  • DefaultM said:
    Generally how high is the action on a bass? I've just always played this one as it came to me, but the strings are very thick and very high off the fretboard. They must be close to 1cm above the 12th fret.
    Measure it because that's nuts.

My Jazz 4 string is 2mm at the 17th fret, low B string (I drop tune)
    DefaultM said:
    Bloody hell!

Halfway down - HOW DO I SET UP MY BASS

https://www.music-man.com/faq

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    My Ps are all at a consistent 1.5mm at the 17th...
    I'm going to have a look when I get in. It does seem very high but I checked the saddles and they're down as far as they'll go. 
    It might just be that because the strings are so thick it appears high.