VERY basic(i think),Pre Sonus Audio Box,questions.

I'm attempting to set up my laptop,to fiddle about with a software recording system on my laptop using Reaper(64).
I've downloaded a trial version of Reaper & I've bought a used P.S. Audio Box,to get my guitar signal into the software,i have a couple of questions,maybe someone can help me with.
In reaper there's an interface box,where I can set-up the input/output,to/from the audio box,what is the correct/best settings from the drop down box settings?at the moment it's set to ASIO?,& it's working.
The other question is with my Guitar plugged into the Audio Box,i'm hearing an amplified guitar signal,which I can control with the guitar volume knob,where is this amplified signal coming from?
As you can tell i'm clueless about this,so any answers would be great.=)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    while not a user of the particular box of which you speak, 1) ASIO is the correct driver to use for low latency with an Audio Interface and 2) you are probably hearing the guitar due to the setting of the "mixer" knob - this balances the level of the input against the playback from the computer so you can play along with zero latency.
  • +1 for ASIO if you're on Windows.

Regarding the guitar signal you're hearing - as already said, you might be hearing the pure guitar pickup signal going into the AudioBox (pre-analogue-to-digital conversion) because you've got the mic control set to put some of the incoming signal into your monitor mix. Turn the mix control on the AudioBox all the way to the "Playback" side (clockwise) to get rid of it.

Or, if you're sending that signal to a track in Reaper, there's almost certainly a setting somewhere in Reaper (which I don't use, can you tell?) that allows you to monitor an input signal after it's been turned into digital, run through your amp sim plugins and converted back to analogue so you can hear how it sounds with some amp sim processing. Turn that off for the track and it should go away. 
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    Thanks,i just thought the Audio Box converted Analogue Guitar/Mic signal to digital USB,i didn't expect to have pick up output until I added an Amp in Reaper,so is the Amplified signal i'm hearing some sort of pre-amp signal from the Box?,sorry if this is another dim question,i'm really clueless with this,but on the bright side i'm used to being cluless =)   
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    well basically you are not wrong, but the interface has a "mix" knob which blends the direct signal from the guitar or mic with the computer playback so that you can hear the tracks you have already recorded. Try turning the mix knob - at one extreme you should hear only the guitar (without fx/ amp sim) and at the other you should hear just the computer playback, and in the middle, a mix of both. If you want to use an amp sim, you need to have the knob set up for computer only and have reaper set up for input monitoring as explained in the other thread.
    Good luck!
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I'm surprised to hear that there is a problem with the Presonus interface. I used an Inspire and a Firebox for years without issue. Admittedly I have always used Cubase, but the i/o setting should show a dedicated Presonus ASIO option if the drivers are installed.

There should also be a software mixer that you can use to set the i/o levels for the interface onscreen. 
    Thanks,for the replies,i'm way out of my depth,which with this stuff is about Zero/Zilch.
    To make matters worse I have 2 threads running,because I didn't know the problems i'm having could relate to both the Audio Box &/or Reaper,so I asked for help on both
    i'll clarify that the problems are probably me,not the products,but the net result,is I can't get reaper working properly either.
    Can I ask another question about the Audio Box,in the Manual it refers to adjusting the "buffer"?,but I can't locate the dropdown it refers to,in the PS instructions.
    I think I've downloaded the correct software(universal control?)or that's the only one I can find,but when I open it it just shows me a box,that looks as blank as me,any suggestions,what I've done wrong here/. :/
    Oh,dogload,i'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with Pre Sonus,,but I know there's plenty wrong with me.

Audio Box USB
    Thanks for your help,i've realised that the driver the box came with is too old for my laptop,so I installed the Win 10 driver & I now have it working(to an extent),but the power led is Kaput :/ ,but at least I now have a signal into Reaper =) .