Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I know Apple Watch is a marmite product but...

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24268
    Necro thread bump.

I seriously thinking about one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Still like my old one. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited February 2019
    I upgraded from S1 to S4.
    S4 has vastly better battery life.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2631
    edited February 2019
    I have an S2 - I put it on the charger after I get up and it's charged by the time I go to work (so I can wear it overnight and use it as the alarm). It's usually down to about 50% when I charge it, but I've got most of the alerts turned off - I do have SMS and a couple of other things. Use it on the elliptical (don't run any more after falling over and breaking my hand) and for meditation. Amazingly useful for ApplePay, dangerously so in pubs. 

The oddest thing I've found so far is that when the phone rings (doesn't happen very often), I sometimes absentmindedly press "answer" on the watch, and end up having to talk to it, like Marine Boy. If you remember Marine Boy. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I have an S2 - I put it on the charger after I get up and it's charged by the time I go to work (so I can wear it overnight and use it as the alarm). It's usually down to about 50% when I charge it, but I've got most of the alerts turned off - I do have SMS and a couple of other things. Use it on the elliptical (don't run any more after falling over and breaking my hand) and for meditation. Amazingly useful for ApplePay, dangerously so in pubs. 

The oddest thing I've found so far is that when the phone rings (doesn't happen very often), I sometimes absentmindedly press "answer" on the watch, and end up having to talk to it, like Marine Boy. If you remember Marine Boy. 
    Michael Knight! 

You can take over on the phone at any time.
    One thing I get a lot of is false positives for 'Hey Siri'.
    Anything that sounds vaguely like 'Hey Siri', such as the word 'celery' will cause Siri to activate.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    57Deluxe said:
    Did you know that is is ilegal to access your Apple Watch at the wheel as it is for the phone itself??
    That's why I had to give up pottery.
  • octatonic said:
    You can take over on the phone at any time.
    Except that what usually happens is that the phone rings, but I'm on the other side of the room, possibly wearing my cheap bluetooth headphones, so I get the ringtone in those, but I look at the watch and press the button there, assuming the call will come through on my headphones, but they don't and I can hear a tinny little voice saying "Hello? Hello?" and I say "Hello? Hello?" and the call is obviously not coming through the headphones, and I either remember and talk to the watch, or I forget and dash across the room to find the phone, by which time they've hung up, but I agree theoretically I can switch from one to another. As long as I'm not panicking. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I don't wear a watch, so I don't need an Apple one.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    Siri thought I’d asked it to be my bitch the other day. It said I don’t know how to be your bitch. 

I was was talking to one of the apprentices at work and I certainly didn’t ask him the same question. Honest Gov. 

Siri is hard of hearing...

Apple watches are good for tracking exercise which is what I use it for - counting steps etc. But as someone who’s only just started wearing a watch again after 20 odd years it seems a shame that my relatively new and lovely mechanical Tissot has been replaced by one of these bits of plastic. Still the Tissot can be rolled out for special occasions.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Missus loves her Apple Watch, I don't miss mine I am much preffering the Huawei Gt, especially the always on heart rate and still getting a good 10 days battery life
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Necro thread bump.

For a specific reason? There might be another brand/model that does what you need but better (though I do admit the Apple Watch looks good) 
    joneve said:
    Necro thread bump.

For a specific reason? There might be another brand/model that does what you need but better (though I do admit the Apple Watch looks good) 
    That's true - although I'm pretty much bolted into the Apple system with phones / macbook / ipad etc.

Apart from the handy stuff of not getting my phone out of my pocket for reminders / notifications and stuff I'm running a lot more (after a year out for sodding adductor tendinopathy) and like the easier tracking options.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7852
    So, other than fitness, what other applications is the Apple Watch essential for?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    That's a sale price???? F*** that.
    axisus said:
    That's a sale price???? F*** that.
    It's 2 years old.

They start at £399 these days.
  • TheMarlin said:
    So, other than fitness, what other applications is the Apple Watch essential for?

If your thing is fatness, instead of fitness, the latest ones have an ecg monitor and they can give out an alarm if you are dying.

You could probably change the ringtone to Highway to Hell as well.  How good would that be?
    TheMarlin said:

If your thing is fatness, instead of fitness, the latest ones have an ecg monitor and they can give out an alarm if you are dying.

You could probably change the ringtone to Highway to Hell as well.  How good would that be?
    SOLD!
    Actually a mate has bought one for his ancient mother, because of the automatic fall detection.

So he gets informed of the G forces on the wait breach a certain amount suggesting a fall. If granny hasn’t moved or pressed a button within 60 seconds he gets the warning.

Thats seems like a damn good idea to me.