nut size

What's Hot
gr1gr1 Frets: 0
edited August 2017 in Acoustics
ive just bought my first guitar its an aj220s im learning chords. I friend of mine who played over 15yrs ago seem think the neck at the nut end is too slim
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26567
    edited August 2017
    Moved to the Guitar Acoustic section - Help & Feedback is for help and feedback with the forum software itself.
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28123
    From a quick google it has a 1 11/16" nut, which is pretty normal. 1 3/4" isn't unusual and is a teeny bit wider (just under 1.6mm) so will feel different, but it sounds like your friend is just used to a wider nut. Neither precludes learning to play well.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • gr1gr1 Frets: 0
    thanks he seem to think so. he thought it was for small handed people. an example I was asking about playing the a chord I think its that. how I couldn't get top string of the 3 to ring out no room if that makes sense
    would it be easier to play with a wider neck. I know classics have a wider neck but I don't realy like the sound compared to steel strings
    It might, but it's unlikely that's the limiting factor if you've just started playing. At first it's always a struggle to cram all your fingers into what feels like very limited space, but it gets much easier.
    thanks ill just carry on. but so much to learn but happy i started. any tips on the a chord the one with 3 finger i think on adg string
    sorry if this is boring for you. i just cant get the top string to ring out to far from the fret ive tried the triangle method but takes an age to get fingers into position i want to learn a few chords before much needed lessons
    digitalscream I see you added a comment but cant find it please advise
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    gr1 said:
    ive just bought my first guitar its an aj220s im learning chords. I friend of mine who played over 15yrs ago seem think the neck at the nut end is too slim
    Sporky said:
    From a quick google it has a 1 11/16" nut, which is pretty normal.
    Your friend is wrong.

George Harrison had quite big fingers, and he could play chords cleanly on a Rickenbacker 12-string, which only has a neck width of 1-5/8" and twice the number of strings on it.

I find that a challenge, but I don't have the talent of George, and I haven't practiced enough... most of it comes down to that, more than talent.

One of the traps that a lot of people fall into when they're starting is thinking that because they can't do something, that there's something wrong with the guitar. While it *is* possible for that to be true, with the standard of even budget guitars nowadays it's becoming rarer. It may be worth having someone check the set-up, since that can make things harder if it's not particularly good, but that's more to do with the action (including at the nut) than the string spacing.

After that, unfortunately it's just all down to putting the hours in to make your fingers learn the shapes and moves - it can be a bit slow at first, but work at it and it will come. Once you're past the initial clumsiness it gets easier, honestly!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

gr1 said:
    sorry if this is boring for you. i just cant get the top string to ring out to far from the fret ive tried the triangle method but takes an age to get fingers into position i want to learn a few chords before much needed lessons
    Not boring at all.

If I was starting again I'd go for lessons with a good teacher straight away - it'll get you learning faster and avoiding any habits that might hold you back later.

I still remember how hard it was to switch from one chord to another - that is completely normal, and you will get better and better at it as you develop muscle memory. That just takes practice.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    In my experience it's possible to learn on pretty much anything.
    With time and determination, it will all fall into place.
    It's good that you're actually listening to what you're playing. A surprising amount of people don't seem to do that.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I can't believe that I started on a classical with a baseball bat for a neck, albeit one with a "crossover" nut width of 48mm. I just don't know how my 11-year-old hands could have managed with cowboy chords. I got the guitar back recently, it was my mum's and it's been around the family, and now it feels good although the barre towards the end of Spanish Romance part 1 is still a bugger to get right.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    gr1 said:
    your 15 yr playing buddy dont find the aj neck good - right - he has had enough playing time to come to that conclusion - u need to give it time to learn how to best configure u'r fingers so chording is second nature.
    Think of it this way - you love the sound of - say the mandolin or banjo or any small f/board instrument sounds like u'd just give up cause ALL the f/b's / necks are WAY to narrow.
    All this pickiness is a first world problem, theres kids all around the world playing old plywood guitars most in the 'western world' wouldn't touch, making music and having fun.
    I started playing in the uk in the sixties, on old European plywood guitars that were not easy to play and the corrosion on the strings would take u'r skin off doing a slide and they sounded horrible - but I really wanted to play - so I did.
    If u want to play - you'll play, 'just do it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Worrying about whether your nuts are 'average' or not is perfectly normal....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44

my washburn has a Nut Width: 1-11/16" and I like it   -  Its true  if you have big hands a smaller string spacing might not be good , Don’t always listen to people when they say it shouldn’t matter , if you want proof come to my home and I will show you , even with one finger holding down the string you can see the side of the finger slightly touching one of the other string  , these are just the laws of physics there is know special way to play to stop it touching if your fingers are big , although I don’t have this problem with a lot of guitars and its why you should try it out before buy them

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Worrying about whether your nuts are 'average' or not is perfectly normal....
    I'm glad you said that. I'm a bit concerned that one of mine is bigger than the other two.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom