Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Taylor 814CE - what else should I look at?

What's Hot
magsmags Frets: 0
I keep going back to an ex demo Taylor 814CE which is really nice.  Before I part with £2k+, is there anything else I should really try out in the same price bracket, either new or 2nd hand?  My other guitars are a Martin OM28 and a Taylor 514CE.  Looking for a general all rounder, with a tendency more towards a strummer.  All suggestions appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    GS Mini . . .  Koa or Mahogany . . .You can pick them up for sensible money and they will make you smile all day . . . Great guitars, big tone for a small bodied guitar . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • magsmags Frets: 0
    My daughter has just bought the Koa mini - it's sounds amazing.  Was looking for something a bit bigger (and will continue to play her mini !)
  • There's not to many about but for your budget a Martin M36 is worth a test drive .Its a good all rounder and you could buy new.
    Nice.  Had thought about that one when researching for OM28 but couldn't get one to test drive at the time. Thanks.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    If you're in Glasgow, there's a nice slope-shoulder J-style Collings that's just come into Strung Out Guitars which is well worth a look - it's not currently on the website yet but is a similar style to the Gibson J-35 they have. I can't remember the price but it's just over £2K, from memory. The Gibson is only just over a grand, if you feel like spending less!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I don't like to say it, because I keep hoping £1700 is going to somehow fall into my lap, but definitely at least strongly consider this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nick-Benjamin-Acoustic-Guitar-Top-UK-Luthier-Hand-built-/322666826231?hash=item4b207109f7:g:iYkAAOSwjvJZQTLO

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    I have an 814, lovely guitar. I tried quite a few other things but kept coming back to it, then Coda got a secondhand one in so I bought that. 
    Will maybe pop into see the Collings in Glasgow.  Never played a Collings before.  Nick Benjamin guitar looks lovely but too far away to try it and couldn't risk buying blind.  Thanks Guys.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3745
    edited August 2017
    @axisus I've read a lot of stuff about the ES2 system, mostly unkind. What do you think of it?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    To be honest, whatever I get will be used predominantly unamp'd. I've played my daughters Koa gs mini with ES2 through an amp and it was fine for our "at home" play. 
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    edited September 2017
    Maybe try a Bourgeois JOM, Lowden s35, Martin M36 or OM28V. I have a OM18V which is far better than my old Taylor 414ce, so make sure you shop around.
  • If you like the Taylor sound and GC shape then feel free to make an offer on mine ;)

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/110675/fs-t-taylor-324ce-k-koa-fall-limited
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Have a look at some of the smaller British builders like Brook, Atkin, or in Scotland especially, Moon.

Furch are good as well.
    Have never tried a Bourgeois, so that's an interesting one.  Martin M36 has come up more than once, so again, worth a look.  Crunchman - you know, Moon is about 15 mins away from my home and I have NEVER been there.  Always felt a little intimidated that I wasn't good enough to go into workshop.  Maybe time to put the brave pants on and venture in !  Thanks for recommendations Guys.
  • Mags, since yer interested in Bourgie - this is what their JOM, jumbo/ dread depth   + 1/2 inch on the lower bout width up'd to 15 1/2 inch, easy to handle seated for a 6' frame with a (slight) paunch :3
    Strummin, though I use free hand / fingers, flatpicking to delicate fingerpicking - all in one guitar.
    Here's an example - if ya dont mind - headphones or good speakers recommend but please excuse the quality - cheap mic was all I had when recording.
    Oh the bottom end is tuned to C.

https://youtu.be/pXdGXIRSibo

AliGorie said:
    Mags, since yer interested in Bourgie - this is what their JOM, jumbo/ dread depth   + 1/2 inch on the lower bout width up'd to 15 1/2 inch, easy to handle seated for a 6' frame with a (slight) paunch :3
    Strummin, though I use free hand / fingers, flatpicking to delicate fingerpicking - all in one guitar.
    Here's an example - if ya dont mind - headphones or good speakers recommend but please excuse the quality - cheap mic was all I had when recording.
    Oh the bottom end is tuned to C.

https://youtu.be/pXdGXIRSibo

Wow - guitar sounds fab - despite what you say about mike used.  Really must go and seek one out to try.  Nice playing too.  Thanks for sending this through.
  • Nathan Salsburg is playing a JOM here :  

Nathan Salsburg is playing a JOM here :  

Very Nice.  Thanks.
  • raphaelsamadraphaelsamad Frets: 8
    edited September 2017
    I have quite an old Taylor 814C from 1996 and, to me, it has aged very well and plays much better than new ones. It also came without a pickup in it (in those days) and I have had a Fishman pickup put into it. I would strongly recommend keeping a look out for an old one, particularly if the new pickup systems are not important to you.
  • broaddickbroaddick Frets: 0
    edited September 2017
    The new 're-voiced' Taylor models are really nice, and, in my opinion, generally an improvement on the old models. There's a rather tasty looking 812ce 12-Fret on Gumtree at the moment which I'm drooling over. Given that as a general rule of thumb used guitars go for about two thirds of the retail price, the asking price seems about right, and if you can negotiate any further reduction, that would be a bonus. Wish I had the money.