Humidity and good acoustic guitars

What's Hot
I live near Dartmoor in Devon and we get more than our fair share of rain. I also live in a Victorian house with a cellar, which is a bit damp, but generally not too bad.

I haven't measured the humidity in our house, but it must be higher than the average modern UK home.

I'm keen to get a good acoustic guitar at the Martin/Furch/Gibson level, but could higher than average humidity levels be a problem for a good acoustic guitar like that?

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    I don't see why it should stop you getting a pro quality acoustic as there are plenty of other musicians living in the south west who also own and play quality guitars. You've also got the wonderful Brooke guitars up towards Okehampton. So living near Dartmoor shouldn't put you off.

At most you may need to be mindful of how you store the guitar. Perhaps keep it in its case with a humidifier? 

I may be wrong but I believe the humidity issue relates more to dramatic changes in humidity (such as moving from one part of the US to another) than living in a fairly constant level of humidity. Although willing to be told I'm wrong on this by someone more knowledgeable.
  • Better to be higher humidity rather than lower.

Run a *de*humidifer in the vicinity...buy a hygrometer so you can keep your eye on it...keep it in its case if required.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    It's the extreme changes from humid to dry that can cause damage. Not normally a problem in the UK.
  • Thanks for all your replies, which are reassuring. Thinking about it, my daughter plays cello and there are no problems with that in the house.

I did'nt want to spend £'s on an acoustic and then get it damaged with humidity issues.

I like the ideas about storing it in the case with a humidifier.

@Teyeplayer ; - what have you done! Those Brooke guitars look fantastic and they are not far from me. I love the look of the Teign, but a new one would cost about £3k :/
    edited August 2017
    Being from the area myself originally, I have a somewhat romanticised view that one day I should own a Brooke and it will be like coming home.

Keep an eye on the secondhand market @DevonChris  they do come up for under 2k and if you intend to spend what i suspect is in the region of 1200-1800 on a guitar, for the extra outlay you get something that is a cut above a mass produced instrument (says he that loves his Martin).
    I should add though, that the secondhand market for Martin Gibson etc at the moment is a buyers dream, no reason why you shouldn't pick something fantastic up for under 1k.
  • DevonChrisDevonChris Frets: 4
    edited August 2017
    Being from the area myself originally, I have a somewhat romanticised view that one day I should own a Brooke and it will be like coming home.

Keep an eye on the secondhand market @DevonChris  they do come up for under 2k and if you intend to spend what i suspect is in the region of 1200-1800 on a guitar, for the extra outlay you get something that is a cut above a mass produced instrument (says he that loves his Martin).
    That means I ought to go for the Tavy as I live in Tavistock, but I prefer a dread style.

You are correct, I was thinking of £1k - 2k budget, and there are some superb guitars being sold on this forum for that. I'll have to give the Brooke guitars some thought. It would be awesome to buy such a great guitar from a local Devon luthier.

It's good to know that there won't be issues with damp - Okehampton gets more rain than Tavistock, which you probably know.  
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    Hi i live in north cornwall on the coast near bude and never had any issues, i certainly wouldn't worry about it too much..also check out a guy called James Millman in Bideford, theres a man who knows how to build superb Sounding acoustics, which seems to allude a few of the so called boutique makers to varying degrees
    Sure there was a thread on here recently by someone who had popped in on the workshop and tried a variety of guitars out. I believe Brooke are very accommodating.

You'll note ofcourse that I am a GAS facilitator. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DevonChrisDevonChris Frets: 4
    edited August 2017
    mgaw said:
    Hi i live in north cornwall on the coast near bude and never had any issues, i certainly wouldn't worry about it too much..also check out a guy called James Millman in Bideford, theres a man who knows how to build superb Sounding acoustics, which seems to allude a few of the so called boutique makers to varying degrees
    Good suggestion about James Millman. I see that he used to work at Brook Guitars Thanks
    Sure there was a thread on here recently by someone who had popped in on the workshop and tried a variety of guitars out. I believe Brooke are very accommodating.

You'll note ofcourse that I am a GAS facilitator.

I'd better put you on my ignore list quickly (if there is one) Thanks for your help, though.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    @DevonChris  yep James Millman also spent a good deal of his time early on with Andy Manson.  the Millman guitars are great sounding things, far better than Brooks IMHO, worth checking out..  I know James and this in no way has influenced my judgement of his guitars:)
  • mgaw said:
    @DevonChris  yep James Millman also spent a good deal of his time early on with Andy Manson.  the Millman guitars are great sounding things, far better than Brooks IMHO, worth checking out..  I know James and this in no way has influenced my judgement of his guitars:)
    Just been checking up on Brooks - they have a great reputation so if James Millman is making better guitars, I definitely need to contact him.

I'm looking for a long term acoustic so I'm going to spend some time trying to find the right one. I've had my Strat for 11 years and that isn't going anywhere so it would be awesome to find an acoustic that I feel as good about and want to keep.

I really appreciate everyone's help in this thread - it has taken a bit of an unexpected turn though!
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Chris, I live on the uk west coast rh <> in the 80's +, I have a 20 yr old bourgeois and a 30 yr old lowden and other guitars. my wife likes the windows open so thats the ambient rh my guitars have existed in for all that time - NEVER an issue.
    Sure instruments react to the moisture in the atmosphere, they may swell slightly or not sound quite so 'crisp' but the problems they have in the US and elsewhere in particular with the excessively LOW rh have been imported via the internet - oh no u might have to move from that damp Victorian house to a new build brown brick estate to save your guitars :o .  
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4191
    edited August 2017
    AliGorie said:
    Chris, I live on the uk west coast rh <> in the 80's +, I have a 20 yr old bourgeois and a 30 yr old lowden and other guitars. my wife likes the windows open so thats the ambient rh my guitars have existed in for all that time - NEVER an issue.
    Sure instruments react to the moisture in the atmosphere, they may swell slightly or not sound quite so 'crisp'
    Or another way of looking at it might be that if you've spent thousand of pounds on an exquisitely made guitar, you might choose to invest a tiny bit of effort to control humidity and ensure it plays and sounds it's best all the time rather than accept sub optimal playability or tone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorie said:
    Sure instruments react to the moisture in the atmosphere, they may swell slightly or not sound quite so 'crisp' but the problems they have in the US and elsewhere in particular with the excessively LOW rh have been imported via the internet - oh no u might have to move from that damp Victorian house to a new build brown brick estate to save your guitars :o .  
    Ha ha - I don't thinking moving from the house for the sake of an acoustic would go down well =)
    Lewy said:
    AliGorie said:
    Sure instruments react to the moisture in the atmosphere, they may swell slightly or not sound quite so 'crisp'
    Or another way of looking at it might be that if you've spent thousand of pounds on an exquisitely made guitar, you might choose to invest a tiny bit of effort to control humidity and ensure it plays and sounds it's best all the time rather than accept sub optimal playability or tone. 
    Yep - good point. Thanks
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    ok, ok - get a damp sooker and a Furch
    happy pickin
  • AliGorie said:
    ok, ok - get a damp sooker and a Furch
    happy pickin
    Good suggestion - I really like the couple of Furch guitars I've played in the past and there is a used D34SR in a guitar shop near me available that I've had my eye on for a while.
  • I too live in a victorian house with a cellar and single glazed windows; it rains a lot here and it's pretty humid inside. I keep it in a room which is not always heated.  I have a Taylor 114; I don't keep it in a case as I have no case, just a soft one. Apart from it needing a little turn of the truss rod occasionally I havent noticed any impact, though perhaps having laminated sides reduces humidity effects? And I haven't gone a full winter with it yet so we shall see. 
  • Thanks, @MagicPigDetective Our daughters cello is fine in our house and it has survived several winters, but we don't take it into our celler rooms. It is made with thicker wood than acoustic guitar, though.

I've drawn a lot confidence from this thread that a good acoustic would be fine in our house, but I will keep it in a case with a humidifier, just to be sure.
  • It sounds like, potentially, your humidity is too high...so I'm not sure you need to humidify the case...certainly something I've never done. Get a digital hygrometer so you can get an idea of where you're at...mainly for peace of mind.