Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Focus 90% Of Your Practise Time On SKILLS and only 10% On Songs... Here's Why

What's Hot

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    i think the OP is making another YouTube viddy.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xDottorexDottore Frets: 274
    This "make a bold statement to get attention" thing is becoming tiresome to me but seems to be getting more prevalent these days, even amongst those whose channels I follow and respect.
    I agree mate... 

I'm sure the guy means well, but I've just commented in his other thread. Me personally, I found both threads a bit too "in my face" and loud. There is something annoying about continually being told what to do...

Just sayin'....
    "10 [insert genre] progressions you MUST know!!!". As soon as I see this it's time to leave the site. 

You need an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.

My feedback page: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91654/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    Dottore said:

"10 [insert genre] progressions you MUST know!!!". As soon as I see this it's time to leave the site. 
    We could do a whole thread of these!

"12 guitar tricks that are banned everywhere except [insert country] - number 7 will blow your mind!"

"[insert town near where you live" housewife makes £150 an hour playing guitar! Find out how!"
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    The top five things Slash doesn't want you to know
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The best thing I ever got for practice was Transcribe!  Totally worth the money.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @missmisstreater Oh Levi, would you care to take a look at this chap?

You might start here:

:halo: :sweetnessandlight:

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    It utterly depends what you want to do. Personally, I only care about being good enough to create new songs, and play the songs that inspire me.

When I come up with an idea I can't play, then I put the practice in.
  • Am I the only one who's starting to feel a bit bad about this now. It (kind of) feels like kicking a puppy :( Not that I've ever done that.

Maybe we should move on and wish the guy well for the future.
    It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    Yes, I really should master my double-stop technique before I attempt the opening riff of Smoke on the Water...

- said no one ever.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    DLM said:
    @missmisstreater Oh Levi, would you care to take a look at this chap?

You might start here:

:halo: :sweetnessandlight:

@DLM ;think he might be a little busy with the Hess stuff ;) Have you read it all? Insane!

I would disagree somewhat with the OP too. Currently teaching a 6 year old who's a complete beginner; he's a lot more interesting in the little riffs/melodies/parts of songs I'm doing with him than specific skills. Those will come with learning that stuff anyway, and he'd be bored out of his mind if I focussed on skills. Still, it's another way of doing things I guess, so might work for some people. I do tend to agree with all of @octatonic 's comments though.
  • FreddieVanHalenFreddieVanHalen Frets: 954
    edited August 2017

@DLM ;;;think he might be a little busy with the Hess stuff Have you read it all? Insane!
    As noted above, I think that's why Levi might be interested - pretty sure this lad has some association with Hot Mess Hess.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/

@DLM ;;;think he might be a little busy with the Hess stuff Have you read it all? Insane!
    As noted above, I think that's why Levi might be interested - pretty sure this lad has some association with Hot Mess Hess.
    ah sorry, hadn't twigged :)
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @Vibetronic No, I've not, where can it be read? I don't have a Facebook account. I have watched bits of a few of his video on Hess, though.
  • DLM said:
    @Vibetronic No, I've not, where can it be read? I don't have a Facebook account. I have watched bits of a few of his video on Hess, though.
    Hmm...most of it is on facebook, although there's quite a bit in the youtube comments that you might have seen.
    DLM said:
    I don't know if you can read this without an account, but have a go - this is the biggest thread: 

https://www.facebook.com/leviclay/posts/10159130385415621?pnref=story

Really quite creepy stuff and Levi @missmisstreater has done a great job exposing it. Total shitstorm of dubious moral/ethical practice. Some of the behaviour pretty much verges on grooming. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What's the point in trying to "expose" people who are associated with Tom Hess?  Life's too short to be getting involved in internet fights with others over the most absurd shit.  Some people invest way too much time and effort.  
    What's the point in trying to "expose" people who are associated with Tom Hess?  Life's too short to be getting involved in internet fights with others over the most absurd shit.  Some people invest way too much time and effort.  
    from what I can gather it's because they're fleecing customers for a lot of cash in exchange for badly taught material from people who really aren't that good. The way they go about it is just wrong - the original post on that thread was about a tutor not 'allowing' his student to attend some other jam session/band thing, and then trying to persuade the kids parents that he (the tutor) wasn't an inappropriate influence. So from that point of view it's worthwhile.

but yeah, I wouldn't have time to do it. I follow Levi for his tutorial stuff/music, but this obviously came up on his feed and I found it interesting. And yes, I've spent far too long reading it :)
    from what I can gather it's because they're fleecing customers for a lot of cash in exchange for badly taught material from people who really aren't that good. The way they go about it is just wrong - the original post on that thread was about a tutor not 'allowing' his student to attend some other jam session/band thing, and then trying to persuade the kids parents that he (the tutor) wasn't an inappropriate influence. So from that point of view it's worthwhile.

but yeah, I wouldn't have time to do it. I follow Levi for his tutorial stuff/music, but this obviously came up on his feed and I found it interesting. And yes, I've spent far too long reading it :)
    Yes man I wasn't getting at you. Just the people in general who are exposing others, some who are supposedly involved with Tom Hess, and calling it a cult.  It's pretty ridiculous.  I read the thing about that Rio kid and, yes I agree that is messed up.   

Yes man I wasn't getting at you. Just the people in general who are exposing others, some who are supposedly involved with Tom Hess, and calling it a cult.  It's pretty ridiculous.  I read the thing about that Rio kid and, yes I agree that is messed up.   
    No probs, didn't think you were :) Yep, it's all a bit bonkers. I wouldn't call it a cult, just a bit wrong...
  • @bingefeller @Vibetronic if we're talking "go to Waco or Jonestown" type of cult, then no, it's not that bad.

If the definition is more along the lines of "you will do what the master says or be thrown out" then yes, I'd say it's getting cult-like.

Is it worth devoting hours of ones life to expose and rail against? For your average guitar player probably not.