Simple home recording

Hi,

I am looking for a simple home recording setup, its just for a single guitar track. I am using Logic. 

Any recommendations?

I have around £300 to spend
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    More info needed. Are you micing an amp or using amp sim plugins to play through live? (Low latency required)
  • sherpa_mansherpa_man Frets: 724
    I am open to all option, I think the mic would be the cheapest way of doing it. No plugin just the guitar and amp
  • Does your amp have usb out? If it does then all you need is a cable. If it doesn't you'd need an audio interface. The simple but excellent Focusrite Scarlet Solo would be more than adequate and you can plug headphones into that so unless you particularly need monitors save yourself some money. You can plug either the guitar signal direct or the mic into the solo.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • There are some good deals on "pocket studio" devices that work great.  I've had a Tascam DP004 4 channel for about 6 years now, 4 channel but once you've used it a few times it's pretty quick and easy.   I also have a really cheap "lecture recorder" that I record new songs my band is working on that works amazingly well.  I use the internal mic for those but it does have an 1/8" jack for direct recording.  Both of these are USB devices for transferring tracks to a computer, or importing tracks from the computer on the Tascam, a really handy feature.  With headphone jacks on most amps these days direct recording is easy.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• xDottorexDottore Frets: 274
    Quite possibly too basic but for quick and dirty, I like the Music Memos app on the iPhone. Perfect for capturing quick ideas, riffs, even longer tracks. The added (optional) drums and bass accompaniment are a bit iffy. Good thing is that you can then send it to Logic or Garageband.

All this pre-supposes, of course, that you live in AppleLand ;-)

You need an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.

My feedback page: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91654/
  • I am open to all options, I think the mic would be the cheapest way of doing it. No plugin just the guitar and amp
    Depending on the sound you're looking for, something like a Joyo American is a really inexpensive alternative to a mic'd amp if you want to record an amped/processed signal.

If you've got Logic then I assume you've got included ampsims. If you wanted to record the direct (raw signal) for re-amping later, you could also split the signal using something like a Boss LS2, Then send the raw signal to your computer and the other signal to your amp for monitoring purposes.
    It's not a competition.