Cab recommendations

What's Hot
longshinslongshins Frets: 246
Hi there, I'm having a Marshall 18 watt TMB head made and was wondering on cab/speaker recommendations, ideally 1x12 format. I'm a big GNR fan, especially the use your illusion album tones if that helps? Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Anything with a v30 should work, I did a clip of Knocking On Heaven's Door to test out my new interface the other day, the amp is a DSL40C into an Orange 1x12 PPC with the V30 and it sounded pretty authentic. I'll bounce the guitar track and put it on SoundCloud for to listen to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    If you want a proper sound go for at least a 2 x 12, but if you really don't have space then a V30 equipped closed back cab would probably be fine, except that some say that V30 and EL84 often don't work great ....

If you find the amp a bit fizzy with a V30 you may need to get your builder to fit a Zobel/conjunctive filter to smooth out the high end if you go that route.

Personally though I would go for a G12H Creamback or Alnico Cream.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Here is the raw clip, I haven't even touched this since I recorded it, so there is no EQ or anything else:

I have heard good things about the Creamback as well; will be looking to get one fitted to my DSL at some point before I start gigging again.

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Not sure how anyone can answer that. I hate V30s, you might love them, etc.  It's going to be trial and error.
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    I like V30s at high volume... just never seem to stick with them and end up with the G12H. My initial leaning for the TMB is towards a slightly oversize closed back 1x12 with a greenback.
  • I can't tell much differently once between speakers from my own experience. However, any cab that's made from plywood will be lighter than one made from mdf or childhood containing the same speakers.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72210
    If you want basically a Greenback sound but slightly tighter/less farty at the bottom end and slightly darker/less fuzzy at the top end, you want a G12M-65 Creamback.

I'll admit I haven't A/B'd them directly together, but that's what the two Creambacks sound like to me - very similar to the G12M-25 and G12H-30, but slightly tighter and darker, which is probably what you'd expect from having much higher power handling.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    If you want basically a Greenback sound but slightly tighter/less farty at the bottom end and slightly darker/less fuzzy at the top end, you want a G12M-65 Creamback.

I'll admit I haven't A/B'd them directly together, but that's what the two Creambacks sound like to me - very similar to the G12M-25 and G12H-30, but slightly tighter and darker, which is probably what you'd expect from having much higher power handling.
    Creamback sounds bang on by that description.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    I can't tell much differently once between speakers from my own experience. However, any cab that's made from plywood will be lighter than one made from mdf or childhood containing the same speakers.
    Wow, you need to try more speakers then, they are a game changer with amps. I have four 2x12 set up in a room, all with different speakers and they all sound different, the amps are normally designed around one speaker type too.
  • I probably haven't compared enough at appropriate volumes
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 185
    I can't tell much differently once between speakers from my own experience. However, any cab that's made from plywood will be lighter than one made from mdf or childhood containing the same speakers.
    Made out of what?!
    MartinB said:
    Made out of what?!
    Childhood. Made from childhood.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longshins said:
    MartinB said:
    Made out of what?!
    Childhood. Made from childhood.
    Just to clarify, he's extracted the essence of childhood and has refined it into a material he occasionally uses in place of MDF. 

That!is dark man.....
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • One might argue that plenty of things coming out of Chinese factories these days are made of childhood...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Sorry chaps. I've gotten that used to typing of the Kindle that I don't check for auto-correct. When I typed "childhood", I assume I meant "chipboard".
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Harley Benton V30 cab in whatever configuration you fancy (1x12, 2x12 etc) I say V30 because the V30 cabs are better made than the versions without. Then if you don't like the V30s (one of Slash fav speakers) sell them on and buy another speaker to try in the cab.

I bought the 2x12 after advice on here to pair with my AFD100 and it's really good.
  • I've never thought V30s were a good speaker for Marshalls, as both are very mid heavy. It might be what Slash used but remember he's a lead guitarist who needs his licks to really pop. For more general riffage I would have thought one of the other suggestions may sound more balanced.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Maynehead said:
    I've never thought V30s were a good speaker for Marshalls, as both are very mid heavy. It might be what Slash used but remember he's a lead guitarist who needs his licks to really pop. For more general riffage I would have thought one of the other suggestions may sound more balanced.
    Was just thinking that a) he was after a slash sound so why not start there and b) buying a v30 loaded cab from thomann is probably the cheapest way to get a very good cab for not much cash.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72210
    Maynehead said:
    I've never thought V30s were a good speaker for Marshalls, as both are very mid heavy. It might be what Slash used but remember he's a lead guitarist who needs his licks to really pop. For more general riffage I would have thought one of the other suggestions may sound more balanced.
    V30s work really well with DSL-type modern Marshalls which tend to be thin in the mids and buzzy at the top-end - the V30 counteracts both of those perfectly. Not so good with older ones...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein