Weird things on my new Martin D-18

AcmeAcme Frets: 10
edited August 2017 in Acoustics
I may be just crazy, but have you seen white spots like these under the frets of a brand new Martin? Also, the neck joint is weird as well. I have the feeling somebody made a neck reset here which is making me nuts considering I was told the guitar is new. Any thoughts guys? 
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BylaAkxlTOxgX1REcjRGdDRCWDQ?usp=sharing
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    White stuff could be polishing compound.  Neck looks fine. Hard to tell without holding it in person but small buts of muck are normal for a shop floor guitar. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    That def. looks like polishing compound.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    edited August 2017
    It's polishing compound, but leaving that on a guitar is careless to say the least.

Bear in mind Martin finish the necks and bodies before joining them and polishing, so you won't get the smooth 'fillet' that you do on a guitar which is joined and then finished, but even so… it doesn't look like that neck was fitted very well. The reason the compound has got trapped there is because the joint isn't 100% tight.

I have heard reports of finish quality problems on new Martins but I hadn't seen evidence before. (Edit - but I have seen a new Martin with a badly-made neck joint recently.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein