Out with the new, in with the old....

LewyLewy Frets: 4193
Traded my J45 with Jimmyguitar of this parish for this 1976 Mossman Great Plains. I've fancied a Mossman ever since I saw Chris Moreton (uk's top flatpicker) playing one and this one is the biz:

It's a real bluegrass and flatpicking machine. Jimmy had light strings on it and it sounded good (good enough for me to know I wanted it) but with mediums, some relief taken out of the neck and a slightly higher saddle it's really doing what it was designed for (Stu Mossman co-founded the famous Winfield flatpicking championships and had that style in mind when he designed and built these guitars).

It's clearly already had a neck reset which is a plus because it's something I don't need to have done, and a good look inside reveals it's got 5/16" bracing - non-scalloped and standard position. So despite looking D-35ish with its bound neck and 3 piece back, it has a bright and punchy D-28 ish sound. Definitely not one for the tappers and ticklers :)

Interestingly (to me anyway) it also has a rosewood bridge plate which is typically 70's but unlike the ill-thought of rosewood plates in 70s Martins, this one isn't strangely oversized.

The only work it needs for now is a new saddle (the one in there at the moment is a little too thin and there is some forward lean) and down the line the frets have had their last dressing before a refret will be needed but it plays fine for now. 

Happy!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Nice!
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    good news Lewy, I remember those from the '70's being highly touted as a better alternative to the over built -meh martins of that era the then only monthly fix in the uk was the guitar mag  (what was it called ?) did all types of guitars and music - anyhow it drooled over the Mossman.
    happy pickin
  • In the right hands now, sounds great mate! Enjoy 
  • I was very tempted with that guitar, lovely bit of kit.