Need some help with inversions

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10646

Dear Oracle,

Can you suggest a famous song in a minor key where the first three notes are the notes of an ascending minor triad in 1st inversion, i.e, for example, C E A (in A minor)

Like Are You Lonesome Tonight, except that's in a major key.

Thanks!

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Well (if you miss out the first A note) isn't that Stairway To Heaven. But I suppose that's cheating :)
    It's not a competition.
  • vizviz Frets: 10646
    It certainly is! 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • What about the melody notes that a singer sings?
    Yeah that'll do - have you got one in mind? Has to be a first line or chorus line. :)
  • viz said:
    Yeah that'll do - have you got one in mind? Has to be a first line or chorus line. :)
    I'm going to go through my Prince chord book because I'm certain he at some point.  
    Awesome thanks :)
  • Prince isn't working out, a lot of his songs are in major keys or played as dom chord vamps.  Any minor stuff doesn't have a first inversion arpeggio as the melody.  

Back to the drawing board.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited September 2017
    I'm thinking that it's likely to be something with the b3 and 5 as lead in notes, with the tonic on the first beat of the bar. If not it gives me the germ of an idea for next month's ROTM.

It's not a competition.
    I'm thinking that it's likely to be something with the b3 and 5 as lead in notes, with the tonic on the first beat of the bar. If not it gives me the germ of an idea for next month's ROTM.

Yes, like an even sadder version of Are you loneseme tonight. 
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Viz, you should be learning licks for songs you want to play. Not learning songs based on licks you already know. 
    @Branshen said:
    Viz, you should be learning licks for songs you want to play. Not learning songs based on licks you already know. 
    You’re right! I’m doing some of that too :)

The reason for my original question was because I was studying figured bass and trying to compile a list of ascending triads for each inversion - major, minor and 7th - and was struggling to find a good use of the minor 1st inversion, at least as an ascending triad at the opening of a piece. I find the use of simple melodies to be a great way of accessing figured bass in my mind’s ear in real time while the music is going. 

If you’re interested in inversions, here’s what I’ve got so far. If you’ve got any better-known ones, I’d be interested to know them!

Root major (5 3): Pat-a-cake
    Root minor (5 3-): If you’re blue (from Puttin’ on the Ritz)
    Root 7th (7): Let’s Dance (intro)

1st major (6 3): Are You Lonesome
    1st minor: the only one I can think of is the first line in Rachmaninov’s Twighlight Op 21/3 - but that’s hardly common!

2nd major (6 4): Amazing Grace
    2nd minor: The Angel Gabriel
    2nd 7th (4 3): Postman Pat

3rd 7th: You know they are a liar (L.A. Woman)
    3rd 7th minor: I’ve been waiting (Gary Moore - I can’t wait until tomorrow)

Cheers Viz
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

Queen: Who Wants to Live Forever

a the start of the verse: Am - D7/F# - Em

play every note as if it were your first
    edited January 2018
    Clarky said:

I can’t think of a single Queen song that we do without me playing an inversion somewhere! Don't Stop Me Now, One Vision, Champions, Bohemian R, you name it, there's a 1st inversion there somewhere

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    viz said:
    Clarky said:

I can’t think of a single Queen song that we do without me playing an inversion somewhere! Don't Stop Me Now, One Vision, Champions, Bohemian R, you name it, there's a 1st inversion there somewhere

without naming a specific song, a popular progression in rock in the 80's [Van Halen, Journey types etc..] in both major [mixolydian] and minor [dorian] keys used the following:

IV - minor VII - I with the bass playing maj6th - minor 7th - tonic under these chords respectively

in A major [Mixo] you get: D/F# - G - A
    in A minor [Dorian] you get: D/F# - G - Am

play every note as if it were your first