Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bands That Have Outstayed Their Welcome?

What's Hot

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    octatonic said:
    AC/DC.
    They are awesome but c'mon guys, it is over.
    Is there anyone other than Angus left in the band?
    Phil Rudd, departed after legal issue
    Cliff - retired
    Malcolm - Ill health, no further comment needed
    Brian - hearing issues, left/got thrown out.
    Only Angus and stand ins left.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Radiohead 
    Yea was just about to say this. What the hell are they doing these days? They used to write amazing songs
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    RMJ said:
    Radiohead 
    Yea was just about to say this. What the hell are they doing these days? They used to write amazing songs
    Writing amazing songs
    Stop crying, start buying
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJ said:
    Radiohead 
    Like Muse, people are scared to admit it's utter dross. Emperors new clothes music. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    AlexC said:

As for Sabbath... I reckon they're done. I don't think getting back with Ozzy was just a money maker - I think it was a genuine farewell.
    They've had a few genuine farewells now. I wouldn't be surprised if they came back for one last windfall. I wonder what Tony Martin's up to these days...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexC said:
    @Flink_Poyd Right. Much as I admire May and Taylor as musicians they should've quit using the name when Freddie died.
    They should call themselves "a bit of Queen"
    £110 for a standing ticket for a band with only 2 of the original members and only trading off the legacy of a singer who died 25 years ago would put most bands in local festival territory. Obviously still a demand for them though

Whilst I actually agree with you - its not Queen anymore, but really they also know it...but the name is a big selling brand name and guess what it sells BIG still. So from a kerchinng point of view and exposure with the media they will cling on like a cling on does.....and all you can do in protest is vote with your money...don't go to the gigs and don't buy any releases they put out.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    fandango said:
    Hawkwind

Come on Dave, you're sat in the Tenth Second of Forever and Waiting For Tomorrow.
    I've thought this since about 1987!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxeman said:
    AlexC said:
    @Flink_Poyd Right. Much as I admire May and Taylor as musicians they should've quit using the name when Freddie died.
    They should call themselves "a bit of Queen"
    £110 for a standing ticket for a band with only 2 of the original members and only trading off the legacy of a singer who died 25 years ago would put most bands in local festival territory. Obviously still a demand for them though

Whilst I actually agree with you - its not Queen anymore, but really they also know it...but the name is a big selling brand name and guess what it sells BIG still. So from a kerchinng point of view and exposure with the media they will cling on like a cling on does.....and all you can do in protest is vote with your money...don't go to the gigs and don't buy any releases they put out.
    Damn right. I'm not going to buy any of their albums or go to their gigs, like I've always done. Take that you multi millionaires!
    :)
    It's not that I don't like some of their music I was saying there's obviously still a lot of demand if you can charge £100+ for a ticket
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    AC/DC
    Slayer

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Solo artist rather than a band, but Elton John has to be on the list.  His voice is completely shot.  Likewise Rod Stewart.
  • Bucket said:
    Metallica,
    Yep should have either called it a day after reload or grown old gracefully. I could see them putting out one more good album eventually though.

My nomination is radiohead, in my head I pretend they split up after OK computer.

Trent Reznor's stuff is starting to get a bit obtuse too.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • The Sisters of Mercy. Great band, once upon a time. Carried on for 20 years too long!
    Link to my trading feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    The Sisters of Mercy. Great band, once upon a time. Carried on for 20 years too long!
    Have they actually recorded anything since 1990? Discounting 'Under The Gun', since I don't know if that was actually recorded in '93, or earlier...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    The Sisters of Mercy. Great band, once upon a time. Carried on for 20 years too long!
    Have they actually recorded anything since 1990? Discounting 'Under The Gun', since I don't know if that was actually recorded in '93, or earlier...
    Nothing released since Under The Gun. They had promised some singles after East West finally gave up and released them from their contract in 1997 but Eldritch changed his mind. I think some songs were written and recorded with Adam Pearson but they got binned when he left. There were talks with Gary Marx about writing new stuff but again, Eldritch changed his mind. A friend of mine saw them a couple of years ago and said they were shockingly bad.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    dogload said:
    fandango said:
    Hawkwind

Come on Dave, you're sat in the Tenth Second of Forever and Waiting For Tomorrow.
    I've thought this since about 1987!
    I don't think anyone has the heart to tell him...

I totally agree on ACDC, ditto Queen (John Deacon had the right idea). The thought of Coverdale thrusting his hips to "In the still of the night" in a provocative manner with a toss of his mane (may or may not be "his") is a little uncomfortable. Blackmore was cack when I saw DP with Joe Lyn Turner on vocals - shit gig, Blackmore refused to go on for the encore... which of course was Smoke on the Water. Ozzy can turn it on for the stage but its a pastiche of what he used to be.

Macca ought to give it up too - he really isn't a patch on what he was and its not like he needs the cash. Debbie Harry... oh dear, but then we would get to hear Clem smash those drums.

To be honest, all of these guys are old men (and women) - I couldn't imagine my grandfather running around a stage with dry ice, yet he was a similar age...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    There's so many! It never ceases to amaze me how many bands are still going. A mate of mine is a real indie-smindie head (and I don't mind a bit either), and he's dragged me to see stuff like The Wonderstuff, we're soon going to see Salad - i mean they weren't even popular when they were popular if you see what I mean! Beats flipping burgers I guess.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    David Coverdale, in whatever guise he's singing in these days.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Philly_Q said:
    I've been a fan of Wishbone Ash through many years and many lineup changes, but having learned - by chance, from an ad in a guitar mag - that longtime guitarist Muddy Manninen has recently left and been replaced by a chap called Mark Abrahams (who owns Vision Guitars in Castleford), I wondered if that was a sign that it was time to call it a day.  But let's give them and Mr Abrahams a chance...
    I hadn't realised Muddy had left either. Have you seen the Martin Turner version of WA? They're really good
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    boogieman said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I've been a fan of Wishbone Ash through many years and many lineup changes, but having learned - by chance, from an ad in a guitar mag - that longtime guitarist Muddy Manninen has recently left and been replaced by a chap called Mark Abrahams (who owns Vision Guitars in Castleford), I wondered if that was a sign that it was time to call it a day.  But let's give them and Mr Abrahams a chance...
    I hadn't realised Muddy had left either. Have you seen the Martin Turner version of WA? They're really good
    I haven't seen them live, but I have got their albums and a DVD.  To me the Andy Powell version has the edge, they're a little rockier, seem to have moved with the times more and at least they're still doing new material, although I won't pretend I like the new albums as much as the old stuff.  

I was sorry to learn Muddy's left, to me he was by far the best* guitarist they've had since Laurie Wisefield and really added a bit of energy and personality to the band.

(* When I say "best" I don't mean technically, I'm hardly qualified to judge that.  But he was more than just a sideman.  I also liked Mark Birch during his short spell in WA, mostly because of his singing.  The others all seemed a bit faceless.)
  • I am sure the 'artists/bands' in question should be deciding when enough is enough but here are some acts that I'd describe as stale and boring. -

Foo Fighters, Green Day, Joe Bonawatever, Eric Clapton, dream theatre, metallica, fall out boy, the libertines (stop it please) Jake Bugg, Slayer, Judas Priest, iron Maiden, slipknot, sparks, the killers.