Composition Challenge #19 - The Day The Music Died!

What's Hot
Hello love sausages! Time for round 19 of the Fretboard Challenge competition!

The competition:

Every 3 months there will be a competition, it revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing or covering songs based on a set of rules or guidelines laid out for that particular competition.

For full rules please read here: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/8029/fretboard-challenge-rules#latest

Submission Details

All recordings will need to be sent via email to fretboardchallenge AT gmail.com

All songs will then be upload to the Fretboard Challenge SoundCloud page here - https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard

Songs must be submitted in an MP3 format and you need to provide a picture for your track

FRETBOARD CHALLENGE #19

Fretboard Challenge #19 starts NOW! - Submission deadline -  Midnight 15th November 2017

Voting starts 17th November 2017 - Voting ends 11.30pm 30th November 2017

A new voting system will be in place for this challenge, voters can pick their top 3 favorite entries.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

Entry with the most points wins.

Winner will be announced just before midnight 30th November 2017

Guidelines 

The Day The Music Died!

------------------------------------

So we all know which famous song those lyrics come from, and we know their context, but this challenge is about those days we all have when we just don't feel the musical love anymore :-( So using the bad times as inspiration lets try and make some positive thought provoking music which reflects how we feel when it seems like the music has died! :-) But we all know that the music never really dies :-) :-) :-)
----------------

No Limits of any kind!

Deadline

Midnight (UK time) 15th November 2017.

No prize this time 
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sorry for the slightly grim challenge but I'm definitely not feeling the music love these days and I need people to bring it back for me :-)
    Old Is Gold
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    edited September 2017
    Very apt challenge for me at the moment too.

Oh, and no I don't know the 'context' of the lyric.
    :-/
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited September 2017
    Very apt challenge for me at the moment too.

Oh, and no I don't know the 'context' of the lyric.
    :-/
    Sad day immortalised in a song by Don McLean ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Music_Died

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited September 2017
    I struggle with abstruse, figurative concepts and prefer to take a more literal view.

Perhaps I'll write a tune about pies.

It's not a competition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Or I guess a song in the style of an artist you liked who died ... lots of scope there.

Just heard Walter Becker died today ... one of my favourite bands is no more .... :-(

The music has died for me today ...

• I've finally hit on an idea - but it's not pretty.

It's not a competition.
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    I've just written and submitted a tune. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Danji said:
    Wow .. 

• Danji said:
    Yes that's quick. Have you done the picture as well? That's generally the hardest part for me.

It's not a competition.
    Fretwired said:
    Danji said:
    Wow .. 
    I'm not saying it's any good mind... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Danji said:
    Yes that's quick. Have you done the picture as well? That's generally the hardest part for me.

Picture? Do I have do some drawings too? 
  • Danji said:
    Danji said:

That's what it says in the submission details. Not that anyone really follows the rules :)
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Danji said:
    Danji said:

That's what it says in the submission details. Not that anyone really follows the rules :)
    Thanks Stratman, sorted it. 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    edited September 2017
    Every tune needs a cool ... er ... needs a cover photo.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a song I recorded about 3 years ago that would fit here.  Is there any limitations or boundaries, like, does it have to be written and recorded between the dates the competition opens and closes or am I OK to enter it.  Just  want to be sure.  I can(and will) make a new entry if it's a requirement.  (As a Canadian citizen I feel obliged to add "sorry" here)

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• I have a song I recorded about 3 years ago that would fit here.  Is there any limitations or boundaries, like, does it have to be written and recorded between the dates the competition opens and closes or am I OK to enter it.  Just  want to be sure.  I can(and will) make a new entry if it's a requirement.  (As a Canadian citizen I feel obliged to add "sorry" here)
    I've used old material in the past. I felt compelled to try and add something 'new' to it, overdubs or even a new mix but I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. I once recorded a whole new arrangement of something I had recorded in basic demo form afew years earlier - it took on a whole new dimension and taught me a lot about using my DAW (an old version of Cubase SX).

The main motivation in entering these challenges, for me, is to kick my arse into actually recording something.
    I've used old material in the past. I felt compelled to try and add something 'new' to it, overdubs or even a new mix but I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. I once recorded a whole new arrangement of something I had recorded in basic demo form afew years earlier - it took on a whole new dimension and taught me a lot about using my DAW (an old version of Cubase SX).

The main motivation in entering these challenges, for me, is to kick my arse into actually recording something.
    Well, I might just enter this track then.  I don't need much encouragement to write and record but I had been in a pretty dark place for a few years at the time I wrote this one and happily, I'm not in that place anymore and don't seem to have that type of vibe in my writing these days.  My current situation is probably only going to improve to the point where I may have to abandon the whole "Dulcet Jones" thing.  I can't come up with creepy/dark music when I feel this good.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

Yeah that's totally cool, as long as its your own work then no problem
    Old Is Gold
  • Sent mine in.
    It's not a competition.