Issue with right hand (my picking / strumming hand)

What's Hot
I've got a fairly major problem with my right hand, and am due to see a physio and an osteopath - but in the meantime, playing guitar is a problem.  I'm right handed, so this is my picking hand, and playing either fingerstyle or with a pick is a problem right now.  I'm hoping that with medical intervention I can eventually sort this - in the meantime, is there a way I can practice left hand stuff, even just chord progression stuff without the right hand?

I know that sounds a bit mad, but I'm open to ideas!  I do have a guitar with a Fernandes Sustainer pickup in - tried that, and it is good for things like practicing vibrato, but I'd like to work on chord progression stuff, which it didn't seem ideal for?

Any suggestions - I took a break already for a full week, and it is as bad as before, so I really don't want to stop playing.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Get a Gruvgear fret wrap to help mute the strings, nad practice legato techniques.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    Thanks, that may be a way to go.  I'm not really that into legato stuff, but if there is no other option, that is a good idea.  I'm actually keen to work on chordal / rhythm stuff at the moment - among other things.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Drum stick (improvised)-> hit strings

(Children also like doing the stumming part but they are generally a bit uncontrollable)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8688
    First off - legato.
    It's also a good excuse to get an ebow.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Thanks for that.  I'm not sure if I need an eBow, as I already have a guitar with a Fernandes sustainer pickup, and I think this is a fairly similar thing?
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Depending on the injury. How about a thumb pick?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Thanks for the suggestion - it is pretty bad, I really can't use my right hand for the time being, so even holding a drum stick or whatever is probably not realistic. 
    richh said:
    Thanks for the suggestion - it is pretty bad, I really can't use my right hand for the time being, so even holding a drum stick or whatever is probably not realistic. 
    I said thumb pick, not drum stick!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yep, I got that - somebody earlier in the thread suggested a drum stick.  But what I'm saying is that my right hand is more or less useless right now, whether thumb pick, or whatever - I may be asking an impossible question, and maybe the best I can hope for right now is to work on left hand legato stuff.
    richh said:
    Yep, I got that - somebody earlier in the thread suggested a drum stick.  But what I'm saying is that my right hand is more or less useless right now, whether thumb pick, or whatever - I may be asking an impossible question, and maybe the best I can hope for right now is to work on left hand legato stuff.
    I think so, for the time being. Apols for my 'joke'!
  • Can you grab the neck of your guitar on the lower frets (near the headstock) without feeling pain ?

If I couldn't pick with my right hand I would mute the strings like said above and try to do everything I usually do (jam, train on arpeggios, scales etc.) but using only my left hand and legato notes. It can be a great way to learn legato, kind of like going to a foreign country to learn the language, once you're there you have no choice, so you'll learn pretty fast!

Also, if you can tap, maybe you can try doing that to if you're into that kind of thing.

Hope that helps, cheers!

Max
    Thanks Max,

I'll work on some legato, as suggested!