Tokai Jazz Bass Quandary

What's Hot
I have a Tokai Jazz Sound bass which I've had since 1984, I recently got it out of it's case again and realised it's in need of a bit of work.
My quandary is do I get the work done or cut my losses and go out and get something new?

Here's an idea of the condition of the bass, it's done more gigs than Keef Richards, so there is quite a bit of 'reliccing'. I've had it down to the bare wood a couple of times and resprayed it, so the finish is okay but not good for resale value.
The Neck needs at minimum a fret dress if not a refret. It also needs a good set up and probably neck/nut adjustment.

I replaced the pickups and control panel a couple of years ago so that is the only change from stock.

So the question is - Is it economically viable to get the above work done or should spend the money on a new bass?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fftcfftc Frets: 559
    I wouldn't worry about economically viable.
    The most important part is do you like how it plays and sounds. If the answer is yes then get it fixed. If the answer is no, then shopping you should go.
  • MIJ Tokai instruments of that period are respected in a way that twenty-first century MIC examples are not.

In my opinion, fret dress, re-fret or de-fret options are all worthwhile. Carrying on playing the thing and don't worry about the finish.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thanks for the advice.
    Just an update on this, I took the bass to a tech and it now has been refretted, had a new nut, set up, neck adjustment and new pickups and is playing really well again.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited September 2017
    Sounds like the right decision.

Which new pickups did you go for?
  • Sounds like the right decision.

Which new pickups did you go for?
    I've gone back to a set of Tokai Japan pickups, to bring it back to stock.