This Makes Me Want To Play The Banjo

What's Hot

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm off to see this lot on 13th November :) Sparse bluegrass, I really like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm off to see this lot on 13th November :) Sparse bluegrass, I really like it.
    Cool,  I saw them do this song live on TV a few weeks ago but they had a girl playing the banjo instead of the guy in this video.   They lined up and did it just like in the video, pseudo marching and all.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I like that. Thanks for posting. May I add the song that makes me want to play banjo...

• Bela Fleck makes me want to play the banjo. Although that's probably jumping in the deep end.

It's not a competition.
  • And here's one that will make you cringe. Caroline Jones  has a beautiful voice and "Never Going Back Again" is surely a shoe-in for fingerpicking on the banjo but she murders it.

• I know I've heard that Eagles song before but I can't place it, the orchestral theme sound cinematic.  While I respect players like Bela Fleck, it's the really busy, "too much plunka plunka" type music that kind of makes me shy away from banjo.    The Caroline Jones video was good,   that sparseness that lets each note come through, that's what drew me to the song I posted.

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    The Eagles song there was used as the theme for The Hitchhiker's Guide The Galaxy. Which is where I first heard it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cool,  I saw them do this song live on TV a few weeks ago but they had a girl playing the banjo instead of the guy in this video.   They lined up and did it just like in the video, pseudo marching and all.
    He left the band a while ago due to exhaustion and insomnia according to their website.  New girl is a session player.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Now that is impressive!  Nice song overall but the last bit really blew me away(despite all the notes and fast picking I said I didn't like befrore....?!?).

• Now that is impressive!  Nice song overall but the last bit really blew me away(despite all the notes and fast picking I said I didn't like befrore....?!?).
    Yeah, I think it's a cracking bit of banjo playing - I think it works for me because it has that sparse empty atmospheric banko sound, as well as the fast crazy end bit. 

This thread is really making me want to buy a banjo!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    A Stanley knife is the best way to play a banjo. Followed by a perfect pitch into a skip...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    A Stanley knife is the best way to play a banjo. Followed by a perfect pitch into a skip...
    Thanks for that.
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 880
    edited September 2017

Gillian Welch is one of my favourites.  A lot to love about Dave's playing as well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • And here's one that will make you cringe. Caroline Jones  has a beautiful voice and "Never Going Back Again" is surely a shoe-in for fingerpicking on the banjo but she murders it.

Is that what is known as a banjitar?

• This thread is really making me want to buy a banjo!

What have I done??!?

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Really liked that! great video as well, super vibe to it
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    Rocker said:
    Thanks for that.

I sat beside a banjo player playing trad Irish music.  I can still hear it forty years later.  Horrible sound.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    Rocker said:
    Thanks for that.

I sat beside a banjo player playing trad Irish music.  I can still hear it forty years later.  Horrible sound.
    I don't know, first banjo's now trad Irish music... do you like anything?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Some very different Banjo 

https://www.facebook.com/MYBABYMUSIC/videos/1697078667032624/

One of my current favorite bands, well worth checking out live.