Jessie Ware - anyone a fan?

What's Hot
beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
After hearing Say You Love Me by Ware a couple of years ago, I instantly loved it and bought the album, Tough Love. A great album it is too. 

Recently she's brought some new material out, including a track called Selfish Love, which has a latin/Spanish type groove. It's fantastic. 

What I love about her and her music is, unlike her popular counterparts she has an understated quality. All her tracks have a subtle air of sophistication about them, too. Great melodies, interesting arrangements and delicate vocals that sit well with the music, but nothing is overdone. Of all the more contemporary offerings out there, I'd say she's something of an overlooked gem. Not only that, she's really attractive too, but that's by the by.

Anyone else a fan?

Here are the aforementioned numbers if anyone is interested:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Loved the first album Devotion, thought it was really good. Couldn't get into the follow up for some reason, maybe I should try again.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    And I should probably try Devotion a bit more too. She's an excellent artist and deserves more credit IMHO.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Just had a listen to the stuff above, I do like it, but it really is only just saved by all the qualities you mention above. With a bit more bombast it could all too easily stray into Celine Dion territory for me, and no one wants that!

The first album had a slightly more left field edge to it IMO.

This is a good live version of one of the more commercial songs off the first album.

I liked that a lot  And I agree; if she ended up anywhere I like Celine Dion, I wouldn't be listening to her and this thread wouldn't exist!

Will give Devotion a proper listen over the weekend. More left field the better!
  • I'm a big fan of a couple of tracks from her first album. The original version of Running is a superb tune and Wildest Moments is also a corker. I also like the stuff she did with Disclosure. 

I was going to link to the Running video but it's showing as unavailable on my phone. 

• Here is the Running video I mentioned above:

• I am a fan - I got into Devotion - Imagine it was us was the first track I really got into. The new single Midnight is very good.

Something distinguishes her from her contemporaries. I am not sure what it is but something about her music connects when the vast majority of similar stuff is meaningless and instantly forgettable to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I am a fan - I got into Devotion - Imagine it was us was the first track I really got into. The new single Midnight is very good.

Something distinguishes her from her contemporaries. I am not sure what it is but something about her music connects when the vast majority of similar stuff is meaningless and instantly forgettable to me. 
    I completely agree. I think it's partly to do with the fact she presents herself quite modestly but has a certain panache about her too.  I'm really looking forward to her new album, which is due out in October. I don't often go to gigs but she's someone I'm definitely going to see live. 

@the_jaffa great video. One of my favourite songs from the album, Wildest Moments being my most listened too.
  • I found out about her through John Mayer's instagram of all things. His put up a screenshot of Selfish Love on his story. Really liking what I hear so far. Any particular album I should check out first?
    I found out about her through John Mayer's instagram of all things. His put up a screenshot of Selfish Love on his story. Really liking what I hear so far. Any particular album I should check out first?
    Good man. She's only done two albums so far - Devotion and Tough Love - so you might as well start from the beginning. They're both great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84 said:
    I found out about her through John Mayer's instagram of all things. His put up a screenshot of Selfish Love on his story. Really liking what I hear so far. Any particular album I should check out first?
    Good man. She's only done two albums so far - Devotion and Tough Love - so you might as well start from the beginning. They're both great.
    Thanks mate, didn't realise there were only two, I'll have a listen this evening.
    beed84 said:
    Thanks mate, didn't realise there were only two, I'll have a listen this evening.
    No problem. Personally I prefer Tough Love but Devotion has some great tracks too. Enjoy and let me know what you think  :)
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Thanks for this thread. Ashamed to admit I'd never heard of her. I have now. Right up my musical alley!
    AlexC said:
    Thanks for this thread. Ashamed to admit I'd never heard of her. I have now. Right up my musical alley!
    Good stuff, glad to hear it. She's released a few tracks from her new album as pre-release which are really good. Tickets are available for UK gigs in 2018 too. Got mine for Newcastle and can't wait!