Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star guitarist using very modest amp....

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    Jonny Buckland uses a pair of Hot Rod Devilles !!
    So do a lot of good players. They're reliable, easily replaceable and sound fine.
    I wonder how many truly 'great' guitar recordings have been made using a 'boutique' amp? Unless you count early Mark Series Boogies as 'boutique', I bet the answer is close to 'none'.....
    I dont think that's a fair cop, Matchless and Soldano came around after the late 80's. How many "great" guitar recordings after 1990 can most guitarists think of off the top of their heads?

And yes loads of amazing players have recorded with Matchless amps in particular. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I use a Tiny Terror and I'm mega famous because I was on telly once.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited September 2017
    I think Mike Landau used standard Hot Rod Devilles, before he got his signature model.

Allen Hinds has used Hot Rod amps.

I've seen clips of Nile Rodgers using a Hot Rod Deville. 

Steve Hillage has used a Pod XT Pro.

I think Fredrik Thordendal used a Pod Pro at some point.

There's some speculation about whether Yngwie Malmsteen used a Rockman on No Parole From Rock N' Roll. 
    It's not a competition.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Apparently Beartooth used the Orange micro dark for a full album. Not exactly the height of guitar hero but it must have got them a good modern heavy tone. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    Jonny Buckland uses a pair of Hot Rod Devilles !!
    So do a lot of good players. They're reliable, easily replaceable and sound fine.
    I wonder how many truly 'great' guitar recordings have been made using a 'boutique' amp? Unless you count early Mark Series Boogies as 'boutique', I bet the answer is close to 'none'.....

You'd also have to quantify great guitar recordings but there might be a few Dumbles and Matchless in there. 

Anyway, Felicia Collins ( on stage guitarist  for Madonna and Cindy Lauper and others) was in the house band of the Late Show with David Letterman and entertained millions of Americans every night through a Crate Powerblock. 
    Jeez! Americans are so easy to please.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253

He uses a pair of them, clean channel only of course, apparently with everything turned up full! He controls it all from the guitar, presumably - they are loud amps otherwise.

Before that he had a pair of Peavey Classic 50s.

EricTheWeary said:

Anyway, Felicia Collins ( on stage guitarist  for Madonna and Cindy Lauper and others) was in the house band of the Late Show with David Letterman and entertained millions of Americans every night through a Crate Powerblock. 
    I have to say that the Crate Powerblock is a really horrible amp, and just because someone uses one in a TV house band doesn't change my opinion. I'm surprised it was reliable enough too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I'm sure I read an interview with Lukather some years ago where he was borrowing his sons Marshall JCM2000. Not sure which model, but he did an album with it.
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 187
    I can understand the ubiquity of the Hot Rod Deville with working players.  Right since the beginning of the company, a lot of pro musicians have just picked up whatever the standard issue Fender in the size they needed was.  Apply that attitude today, and you end up with a Hot Rod Deville or Deluxe.  I guess Steve Cropper is unusual in that he started out doing that but seems to have stopped in the 80s with his red knob amps, rather than continuing on to the current models. 
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 367
    edited September 2017

Which IMHO sounds awful! I am a huge fan of Gong and of  Hillage's 70s work, it was great to see him playing with a band again from the small Gong Un Convention of 2005 onwards but his recorded sound on the 2032 album is terribly digital and clinical to my ears to the point where it diminishes my enjoyment of the music. Just my 2d worth....
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • ICBM said:

He uses a pair of them, clean channel only of course, apparently with everything turned up full! He controls it all from the guitar, presumably - they are loud amps otherwise.

Before that he had a pair of Peavey Classic 50s.

EricTheWeary said:

I have to say that the Crate Powerblock is a really horrible amp, and just because someone uses one in a TV house band doesn't change my opinion. I'm surprised it was reliable enough too...
    As the only player of any kind of note to ever use one they probably gave her a warehouse full of them in case they went wrong. It may be for tv that you don't really want a big sound - something quite nasal probably comes across better? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663

Which IMHO sounds awful! I am a huge fan of Gong and of  Hillage's 70s work, it was great to see him playing with a band again from the small Gong Un Convention of 2005 onwards but his recorded sound on the 2032 album is terribly digital and clinical to my ears to the point where it diminishes my enjoyment of the music. Just my 2d worth....
    What does 'digital' sound like? Can you hear the 1s or the 0s best on your CD player or is it best to experience it on MP3?

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There is a rare video on YouTube of sun(o))) using a pair of line 6 flextones.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Billy Gibbons'  used a Marshall  lead 12 recording  'my heads in Mississippi.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited September 2017

Yngwie used a Fender Rocpro amp on that album he did with the orchestra.  He also used it on his Young Guitar Play Loud tapes.

Ty Tabor has used PODs in the past.

Akira Takasaki used Peavey Supreme amps around 1992 on the album "Loudness" and also on one of the live albums from that period.  He also used Marshall Mode 4 amps. 

Alex Skolnick used a Roland Cube 60 on his early trio recordings and also live.  He has also used a Marshall Mode 4.

Apparently Mattias Eklundh got his tone on the first Freak Kitchen album by plugging his guitar into a Sharp Transistor radio.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Seasick Steve used a cube 30 iirc.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    edited September 2017
    Yngwie used a Fender Rocpro amp on that album he did with the orchestra.
    That is not actually a good recommendation...

Seasick Steve used a cube 30 iirc.
    Judging by his large collection of carefully- and expensively-made "junk" guitars, it probably had a handwired 5F2 circuit inside or something .

(I know someone who built a couple of his guitars .)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Well to be fair, I couldn't get my cube to sound like that when I had one
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Dr Hook were all Peavey for many years (sponsored but sounded good live).
    In fact a number of famous bands have gone this route over the years, don't forget the famous photo of the fake marshall stacks at a festival and a little combo hidden backstage for the real sound source.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Didn't Brian May use some weird little transistor contraption that the bass player built from scrap parts?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Weezer have used Pod Pros on a lot of their tours.