Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star guitarist using very modest amp....

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBM said:
    Garbage still use Pro Pros direct to the PA as well - no amps on stage.
    I thought they were all helixed up, 49 of them or so...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11415

There's some speculation about whether Yngwie Malmsteen used a Rockman on No Parole From Rock N' Roll. 
    Not sure Yngwie should be held up as a model of good tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11415
    Sassafras said:
    Didn't Brian May use some weird little transistor contraption that the bass player built from scrap parts?
    I may be wrong, but I think that was into the front of an AC30.
  • crunchman said:
    Sassafras said:
    Didn't Brian May use some weird little transistor contraption that the bass player built from scrap parts?
    The Deacey wasn't it? Vox did a run of them at some point.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ESBlonde said:
    Dr Hook were all Peavey for many years (sponsored but sounded good live).
    In fact a number of famous bands have gone this route over the years, don't forget the famous photo of the fake marshall stacks at a festival and a little combo hidden backstage for the real sound source.

Pretty much anyone from the South had Peavey at some point. Lynyrd Skynyrd I'm pretty sure did. If you watch the film Deep Blues which is Mississippi in the eighties that's nearly all Peavey backline as I recall it. 
  • Shawn Lane used an obscure solid state amp called a Mississippi Holmes Bluesmaster.  People were selling them for $200 at one point and I remember someone on the Shawn Lane forum paid over $1000 for one a few years after Shawn's death!

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    crunchman said:
    Sassafras said:
    That's the chap. They were priced at something ridiculous like £700 or £800.
    They looked like a budget Japanese stereo's shelf speaker.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2724
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    Jonny Buckland uses a pair of Hot Rod Devilles !!
    So do a lot of good players. They're reliable, easily replaceable and sound fine.
    As does Steve Van Zandt.
  • I went to the Noel Gallagher concert last week and he was using a Bassbreaker. He also used a Hot Rod Deluxe for years. 
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    crunchman said:
    Sassafras said:
    I have a distinct memory of there being a huge pile of them at one of the Music Live events being sold off fairly cheap but they had a reputation at being good at that sound and nothing else. Must be some gathering dust in forum members garages. 
  • I think your man from Bluetones used a Marshall Valvestate back in the day.  I remember seeing that in Total Guitar.
  • Joff Oddie from Wolf Alice uses a Hot Rod Deluxe.
  • Francis Dunnery uses a Laney Lionheart L20 combo
  • uksaint7 said:
    Francis Dunnery uses a Laney Lionheart L20 combo
    I've also seen him using a Vox Night Train at Bush Hall a few years ago. Sounded great.
  • uksaint7 said:
    Francis Dunnery uses a Laney Lionheart L20 combo
    So do I, I'm quite upset to find out it's 'modest' :cry: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Take a listen to any of Doug Rappoport album "Bionic". Recorded on a pod and sounds amazing.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Sassafras said:
    crunchman said:
    Sassafras said:
    That's because it was :). It was actually an old amp circuit that John Deacon found in a skip - no-one seems to be sure exactly what it is, but it's likely to have been something with germanium transistors designed for 'general audio', which he fitted into a cheap hi-fi speaker cabinet.

I'm not sure if they ran it into an AC30, but it was more often used to record the 'orchestral' guitar parts by being put face down on a cushion and mice'd from behind, if I remember rightly…

Vox marketed both a version of the complete amp, and also a pedal which was supposedly based on the sound, although I have no idea if the circuit was the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2724
    I went to the Noel Gallagher concert last week and he was using a Bassbreaker. He also used a Hot Rod Deluxe for years. 
    First Oasis album is mostly a Wakins Dominator.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Johnny Greenwood's fender solid state with the Marshall shredmaster is a superb sound
  • Johnny Greenwood's fender solid state with the Marshall shredmaster is a superb sound

I remember, when I was a lot younger, and I found out he used a Vox for cleans and his Fender SS for dirt being surprised because back then I was of the opinion that "valve amps were better for distortion and he should use his SS for cleans."