Getting tapping up to speed

Hello All,

A while ago I decided to try to learn a bunch of stuff I had always considered to be in the 'I'll never be able to play this' category, the first of which is the solo in Get the Funk Out by Extreme.

A few months later and I'm very pleased with my progress - I've got the majority of it down up to 100bpm (full speed is 108), but the second half of the tapping part is still sounding a bit weak. I find that my left hand gets sluggish by the time it gets to this part, and while I can play the individual tapping sections up to speed in isolation, I am just running out of steam when it's part of the whole solo.

I was wondering what the best approach is to tackle this? For other parts (i.e. picking parts) I've been using the 'burst' technique of breaking it down into small chunks and playing it as fast as I can in small bursts but with breaks in between. With the tapping part, however, this doesn't seem to be working as it works in isolation but not as part of the whole solo.

Can anyone give me some practice techniques that would help get my stamina up for this? Please bear in mind I've now got a 3-month old daughter so I don't have hours to spare and I generally just try to pick up my guitar and metronome in whatever small breaks I find.

Many thanks in advance.
Richard
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I gave this a go last year. I didn't do to bad actually. my advice would be is to isolate just the tapping parts and slow them down with the metronome. once you get it up to a reasonable speed try adding it on. 

another method is to learn the WHOLE solo slow. so where you have the majority at 100bpm, slow the whole solo including tapping down to a slow bpm and build the whole thing up slowly. its pain staking , depends on how badly you want it. you could do a little a day and raise the metronome by 2 bpm a day. (providing you can play the whole solo before moving on)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom