Seen any good lessons on country style chicken pickin?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
It's something I'd like to have a go at. I could just google but I wondered if anyone had seen anything particularly useful/worthwhile?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Depends a bit on what you mean by chicken pickin. If it's just that specific clucking technique then Greg Koch covers it in several of the workshop type videos there are of him on YouTube - breaks it down into clear steps and how to practice at an easy level and ideas for people who don't normally play country. 

If it's a slightly broader take on Country you can find our own Levi Clay on YouTube ( I've forgotten his user name on here - sorry- and he also posts a lot of other stuff but it's easily picked out) and he covers a range of country techniques. There are books and dvds and some bits on YouTube by Lee Hodgson and Steve Trovato who have made careers out of teaching country. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Depends a bit on what you mean by chicken pickin. If it's just that specific clucking technique then Greg Koch covers it in several of the workshop type videos there are of him on YouTube - breaks it down into clear steps and how to practice at an easy level and ideas for people who don't normally play country. 

If it's a slightly broader take on Country you can find our own Levi Clay on YouTube ( I've forgotten his user name on here - sorry- and he also posts a lot of other stuff but it's easily picked out) and he covers a range of country techniques. There are books and dvds and some bits on YouTube by Lee Hodgson and Steve Trovato who have made careers out of teaching country. 
    That'll do for starters. Thanks!
  • Ken Carlson is pretty good. Doug Seven can play but I want to strangle him after listening to his sales patter for 5 minutes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm keen to have a go at this too.  @axisus - are there any you've looked at which seem good?  I like all things Greg Koch - are there any of his that seem good places to start?
    thebreeze said:
    I'm keen to have a go at this too.  @axisus - are there any you've looked at which seem good?  I like all things Greg Koch - are there any of his that seem good places to start?
    Actually I'm in a very busy period of life right now so I haven't looked yet! I have bookmarked this page to return in the near future.

• He goes through it in this one from about 30 minutes in, the finger style version and then the hybrid picking version. Its the basic chicken pickin techniques without without having to know any country licks ( he uses some Albert Collins blues to illustrate it). 

• This is is a very short one that doesn't explain as much but has a neat, fairly simple use for it. 
  • Cheers EricTheWeary - I'll check into them.
    @EricTheWeary Many thanks!
  • Cheers for the plug Eric!

Yeah, lots of country stuff on Youtube - happy to help you out with anything you need @axisus ;

Support me on Youtube or Patreon
    https://www.patreon.com/leviclay    |    https://www.youtube.com/c/leviclay
  • Cheers for the plug Eric!

Yeah, lots of country stuff on Youtube - happy to help you out with anything you need @axisus ;

You did the Monkey in a Movie riff the other week, might take me a few goes to get that right but one of my favourite tracks.