Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Live at Pompeii 2017 - David Gilmour

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
any news or reviews on this?
I think I'll order the bluray
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    I have an inkling that it's going to be amazing.  ;)
  • just found that one of these days (from the album) is on Spotify now
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9552
    Several Cineworld cinemas are screening Live in Pompeii this Wednesday (13th) evening if that helps.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Off to see it on Wednesday....sure it'll fantasic 
  • I'm going on Wednesday too, should be great.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    edited September 2017
    Also off Wednesday, dragging my wife along who has threatened to take a book!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was there just the other week.  Couldn't see him anywhere.  Place looked a bit run down TBH.
  • full box set of 4 at £34 delivered from Amazon Italy (£50 in UK):

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/david-gilmour-live-at-pompeii/

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    A track from the concert ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • was @Gassage at the Pompeii gig?
  • Watched it the other night
    Absoloutley fantastic. Would loved to have been there
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    watched the first disc last night
    wonderful, just a few questions:

Who prefers the black strat with that scooped and treble-boosted sound? I think I prefer the EMG DG20 strats
    The same sort of EQ seemed to be applied to all the electrics, so he clearly likes that sort of voicing

What was the thinking being the new arrangement for the scatting on Great gig in the sky?
    I wondered if it was an attempt to go for a more gospelly choral approach, but there were still solo parts at times, and then I thought perhaps it's intended to avoid getting too similar to the Clare Torry performance, to avoid needing to pay royalty payments to her (I was not happy that she got a songwriting credit for doing 2 takes of a vocal solo scat over a finished track, so I'd assume DG is far less than content)

What was the thinking being the new arrangement for the scatting on Great gig in the sky?
    I wondered if it was an attempt to go for a more gospelly choral approach, but there were still solo parts at times, and then I thought perhaps it's intended to avoid getting too similar to the Clare Torry performance, to avoid needing to pay royalty payments to her (I was not happy that she got a songwriting credit for doing 2 takes of a vocal solo scat over a finished track, so I'd assume DG is far less than content)
    More to do with having a group of backing singers and giving them something to do - awful rendition though.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    I gotta admit I'm not quite seeing the point in another version of Comfortably Numb with a pretty lightshow. He's as good a guitar player as ever, but without good new songs it's just the Royal Albert Hall show without Rick Wright :(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like this version ....

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2017
    Tours and album sales don't make as much these days so it's becoming common to have a DVD/Blu-ray of every tour, even if much of the material is repeated. At least in this case it's a special venue with historic significance for him and his former band....but to just play the same set he did on the rest of the tour doesn't actually make it "that" special a gig...but of course he won't play Echoes without Rick...."One of these days" is the only track from the Floyd film that's on this.

Still it looked very pretty.

I loved it at the cinema, I've got the DVD but haven't given it a spin yet (the cinema release was a cut down version)

Comfortably Numb has to be in the set of course as first and foremost it was a live gig, and if you go and see Gilmour live you'd be disappointed if he didn't play it.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    Fretwired said:

More to do with having a group of backing singers and giving them something to do - awful rendition though.
    the first singer was awful
    I would like to have heard the guy sing half of it, it might have been good to hear in a lower register. I assume he would have a good range
    edited October 2017
    Tours and album sales don't make as much these days so it's becoming common to have a DVD/Blu-ray of every tour, even if much of the material is repeated. At least in this case it's a special venue with historic significance for him and his former band....but to just play the same set he did on the rest of the tour doesn't actually make it "that" special a gig...but of course he won't play Echoes without Rick...."One of these days" is the only track from the Floyd film that's on this.

Still it looked very pretty.

I loved it at the cinema, I've got the DVD but haven't given it a spin yet (the cinema release was a cut down version)

Comfortably Numb has to be in the set of course as first and foremost it was a live gig, and if you go and see Gilmour live you'd be disappointed if he didn't play it.

Tours for the likes of David Gilmour make big bucks .. this was a concert which was probably expensive to setup given the small size of the audience so needed to be filmed for cinema, DVD and Blu-ray. I think some of the tracks are weak as unlike a tour the band didn't have a chance to play together and gel. I bet they didn't rehearse for that long either.

• I think a lot of what Mr Gilmour has done since The Wall is weak to be honest, I love some of his earlier playing. I saw The Wall at Earls Court in 1980(?) It was an unbelievable experience, absolutely unforgettable. 

I posted the original Pompeii OOTD to highlight the fact that personally I think the stripped down Pink Floyd leathers the light showed jaded modern version into a cocked hat, I feel that about most of the back catalogue to be candid. I find Dave's solo albums largely soporific. 

• It’s not awful but it’s far from his greatest moment  (that was delicate sound of thunder)

the new backing bands arrangements are all a bit loose for my liking. He’s definitely not at his best solo-wise. Compare the version of sorrow at Pompeii to the delicate sound of thunder one or even pulse. 

Shedding a band made up of ex Floyd staff (jon Carin in particular) may have been a deliberate attempt to change the songs a  bit but I don’t think it paid off at all.

Great Gig in the Sky was an insult to my ears and Rick will be spinning in his grave I’m sure

the only but I really like is the use of the main riff from “on the turning away” in “on any tongue” - clever. 

On the whole David solo stuff is weak. About face is as good as it got for him and using Polly Samson to write your stuff is a terrible idea. It all feels a bit spinal tap (“it’s your fucking wife...”)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom