Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Body wood affects tone

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30881
    Megii said:
    Thanks for responding to my posts @Three-ColourSunburst , great mate, cheers! :)
    Sorry, but it feels like I am trying to play a tennis match with half a dozen people throwing serves at me! =)

I am still collecting research on this topic in the hope that I can give some more definitive answers to the points raised, including what you posted.

Cheers!
    I make it 6-0, 6-0, 6-0, against you and you'll need to requalify next year.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited September 2017
    NelsonP said:
    OK, but no speaker was used. I would imagine that there would be some impact from that.

i.e.
    i) string vibrates
    ii) pickup turns vibration into electrical oscillation
    iii) amplfier / speaker reproduces this
    iv) some of the energy from the speaker is transferred back to the guitar body
    v) guitar body resonates at certain frequencies and returns these to the string
    vi) pickup turns these new vibrations into electrical oscillation

The guitar body material may be important is stages iv/v
    Just a thought.

The initial signal is created entirely by the string vibrating, this signal is then amplified which then causes the air in the room to vibrate. The harmonic content of this sound is determined by the initial picking of the string, plus the harmonics added by the amp. This sound forces the body of the guitar to vibrate. The vibration in the guitar's body is most unlikely to be true 'resonance'. Rather the body of the guitar will be forced to vibrate in sympathy with the sound in the room. Crucially, the body cannot be vibrated by the air in the room until the signal has already been generated and amplified.

It doesn't seem clear to me how the guitar body could 'break' this initial signal, especially given that the amplifier will be producing far more energy that the body of the guitar could absorb, plus  the very high impedance of the bridge / body interface on an electric guitar means that very little vibration from the body will be fed back to the strings which, let's not forget, are still been driven by the original signal and all that energy in the vibrating air in the room.

Meanwhile the player, being a bit of a shredder, already picked another 50 notes!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Also proposed is a modelling of the string-body coupling, which shows that only a negligible amount of energy from the vibrating string reaches the body of the instrument and that a smaller amount still returns up the string.

I know I said I wouldn't post in this thread again, but I respectfully suggest that they need to revisit their modelling.  Anyone can generate a model, but if the model doesn't match reality it's useless.  I can feel the body vibrating on my guitars when I hit a string.  That's not a negligible amount of energy.

This next bit is even worse:

Three-ColourSunburst said:

Firstly, an acoustic guitar is designed to have a very low impedance (and hence high conductance) at the bridge, this energy being transferred into a thin, light soundboard (in a top-quality instrument as light as 100g before bracing is added). The low mass and yet high stiffness of the soundboard means that the limited amount of energy available from the string can excite the board into a state of forced vibration with the minimum loss of energy, so maximising the sound output. (Even so, the energy in any body in a state of forced vibration will tend to dissipate rather quickly.)

In comparison, an electric guitar body is specifically designed not to 'resonate' (or rather be easily excited into a state of forced vibration) being solid with a high mass and, in the interests of maximising sustain, will be fitted with a heavy bridge with very high impedance and hence very low conductance.

Apart from the fact that Impedance and Conductance are electrical terms, any bridge that will support the tension of the strings must be rigid.  It will therefore transmit almost all of the vibrations of the strings to the body.  The kind of bridge you are attempting to talk about that does not transmit vibration to the body would have to be made of something like rubber to absorb the vibration.  It wouldn't be rigid and the guitar would not stay in tune.

I knew I shouldn't have looked that this thread again, but to see such utter rubbish being spouted does make me worry that one or two people might actually take you seriously when you attempt to come up with "science" that you have no understanding of.

I suggest that you go away and do an evening class in A level Physics and stop bothering us.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926

The initial signal is created entirely by the string vibrating, this signal is then amplified which then causes the air in the room to vibrate. The harmonic content of this sound is determined by the initial picking of the string, plus the harmonics added by the amp. This sound forces the body of the guitar to vibrate. The vibration in the guitar's body is most unlikely to be true 'resonance'. Rather the body of the guitar will be forced to vibrate in sympathy with the sound in the room. Crucially, the body cannot vibrate until the signal has already been generated and amplified.

Jesus Christ.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm in Tarporley near Chester today - a bit overcast - but dry so far....
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    edited September 2017
    NelsonP said:
    OK, but no speaker was used. I would imagine that there would be some impact from that.

i.e.
    i) string vibrates
    ii) pickup turns vibration into electrical oscillation
    iii) amplfier / speaker reproduces this
    iv) some of the energy from the speaker is transferred back to the guitar body
    v) guitar body resonates at certain frequencies and returns these to the string
    vi) pickup turns these new vibrations into electrical oscillation

The guitar body material may be important is stages iv/v
    Just a thought.

The initial signal is created entirely by the string vibrating, this signal is then amplified which then causes the air in the room to vibrate. The harmonic content of this sound is determined by the initial picking of the string, plus the harmonics added by the amp. This sound forces the body of the guitar to vibrate. The vibration in the guitar's body is most unlikely to be true 'resonance'. Rather the body of the guitar will be forced to vibrate in sympathy with the sound in the room. Crucially, the body cannot vibrate until the signal has already been generated and amplified.

It doesn't seem clear to me how the guitar body could 'break' this initial signal, especially given that the amplifier will be producing far more energy that the body of the guitar could absorb, plus  the very high impedance of the bridge / body interface on an electric guitar means that very little vibration from the body will be fed back to the strings which, let's not forget, are still been driven by the original signal and all that energy in the vibrating air in the room.

Meanwhile the player, being a bit of a shredder, already picked another 50 notes!

I'd guess the feedback loop is pretty fast - much faster than you'd think. Probably measured in milliseconds.

"Rather the body of the guitar will be forced to vibrate in sympathy with the sound in the room" - this is the very definition of resonance.

The bit about the 'very high impedance of the bridge / body interface' isn't correct, as proven when you put your ear on the body of the guitar and pluck a string.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm in Tarporley near Chester today - a bit overcast - but dry so far....
    Name this well known phrase or saying;

Anybody here from Canada? Anybody here from Australia?
    Tarporley? Anybody here from Tarporley? Stand up, all those from Tarporley and shake hands with the person on your right.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    I'm in Tarporley near Chester today - a bit overcast - but dry so far....
    Pay attention at the back Homer, or you'll be off to see the headmaster again :-)
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Three-ColourSunburst said:

Crucially, t
    he body cannot vibrate until the signal has already been generated and amplified.

It's just not true - I know well from experience that with all my solid body guitars, the body does vibrate appreciably, even when the guitar isn't plugged in - I often practice this way, and I can both feel the body resonating, and hear an appreciable acoustic volume, even if it's not as loud as a full acoustic or semi-hollow instrument, it's definitely there. It's something I look for in what I would consider to be a good electric guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Exactly such a rigorous academic study has been done, and it found that body wood has no effect on the tone of an electric guitar. As I posted on page 11...

OK, I have found some real academic research on this topic, overseen by a Professor of physics and acoustics. I have also found a TV clip about their research, a full text copy of their paper and also some discussion by the leading author of other research they have done into this topic, including some blind listening tests. This will do for now. It's in Portuguese, probably because any English speaking academic putting a research proposal forward to study such a topic would risk becoming the next Eric Braithwaite! Looks pretty rigorous, using a mechanical picking device to avoid the problem of human players 'unconsciously' altering their picking technique in order to get the tone they expect.

Sobre o acoplamento corda-corpo em guitarras elétricas e sua relação com o timbre do instrumento. Physicæ 9, 2010, pp. 24 - 29

'String-body coupling on electric guitars and its relation with the timbre of the instrument.'

Rodrigo Mateus Pereira(1), Albary Laibida Junior, Thiago Corrêa de Freitas.

(1) Tecnologia em Luteria, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Brazil.

I've recently read a totally contradictory Chinese Study to yours.

This was written by Wun Hung Lo and here's a helpful and quite erudite abstract which I feel solves the debate in its totality.

It's very hard to argue with this level of logic:

埲一洙焂軹畷乇榾磡卬,釳丌峚掽堬嗢乜漈勼仡。鄇怌冱賳瑊蕑伀一鄀眳茯佪阞峖丌,毼絏乜礿帣媵帙仜乇拊毾粀冇沓。惍一壴罣堹嗖乇暡閿厹,梛亍狪堄媞塯兀厬毌仚。晢一狪孮跗蝆屮蜦鼒夬,舳亍厙屙傃輁亍銈亓氕。飥一珋牾棽裮乜潎螘丱,觖兀柫剮絟窢乜跾旡丼。尐逄杽眳垚鸅輆塙幵刐洉刞侒侅刞煢丌枅粺溔。爿垶矹啈垛齴葮葒玎朼秎吨矹狉玔蛶乇陃熂楉。釹一衱啀揵搉兀廎甋厹,痌丌厖掗硜筳乜榿卬氿。勼埌狖祣苠羉罧猺屻阠俁刡欥抸汩輅乇杺嫢誃。

涻一盻莰缿遒亍蜼燏尐,涺丌姶袑痟滊屮塶丮氕。渨咂扠鮂睔獧夼一寊荾郟狖玊觓乇,鄔湦亍瓨庥貄呫庀丌肸褆洐气侚。尐蚆坴莌峋鷾殛絽伢奾咺妦瓝妴忯煝乜姀銚溮。郻妶扥踾晸鋹扙一晪閈疺狌阞牉屮,猼焯乜矼敁鉲咑匜亍迋搫衁丱侔。莰一洐屙筌艄乇廑縡仂,硐丌垏袸确葔屮嫕爿仩。亓茿咁偪柼蠷誁椿伀孖垛彸狌刳旲觜亍祊愬摁。卬粈舠翉珫衋幍煔妀汜呲忑戽畀尪搹丌迗褘塱。欳一洘笥裐詷乇嘌膲夃,莍乇匽掍絏畹乜瑲爿肊。

尐牷芴帴洭躟雎煟孖奷砒旳呾呥吙艀乇侂槔罬。硥岠朿篞塛憌穵一椓梠倧衩阞秏屮,跧閍丌呤玹遉穻屴屮炖碬恮亓侉。絅一庢莕菹鄋兀歍鴠夬,祡丌毖郫噅搌屮嶉仈阞。淰一陑舑絜葥乇瘌毇卬,痏亍峓淀揯滏乇駇爿帄。尐剞姏惀泚齴黽溷巟汆衴彸杬佫妗歈亍阹賏煟。徦抻价樻飹濎匟一堧蚰紖沝宁秎乇,稗鈙兀玠哃溱芴帄乇枒餂胙夬泙。敜杻匟朣鈱踽屾一閌焗郣佹仜胜兀,搋堳亍抰玿朡炘夯丌怉窬俇夬阽。巿浵侂淰玶鱧馯筶奻伂祄妧舠邳宒鉎乇迓獙遉。

莤一奅荶皒葐丌殞墿厹,逤乜咥弶颩鉧乜蜾亓庀。軗一洑焌敨賌丌慬輵殳,蛅乇衁唭堸戣亍褎仂匜。唭一眅梒睅碆屮綼擉巿,啈乇毖崮湇輆亍谽仈尕。爿悇虰剬胏蠵惷剻仴朹赲旳昉玡狁畹乇虮摙戠。觚戽汏縋筶膰犵一撝婰肂咇氶庛屮,筩鈜丌姖陔圔极氿乇剆綧垥旡甾。萒姎阠縌睭獪邙一毲惛笉抾卌郅亍,鉓衖乇昋茀鳭怋尻亍怴摋柎毌杽。脽怮忔蕇酯橆伒一鈥偗淯玝汃挕亍,瓽渃乇芶炾葌芤氿丌歾摐恛夃玦。梣一苻梀虓嗩兀碨廧巿,焄乇殄陯嵫骭亍摫巿夗。硅一峚郩喭犍乇蒡縎卬,湴乜厖莙胾滃屮漞夬屳。

尐牷芴帴洭躟雎煟孖奷砒旳呾呥吙艀乇侂槔罬。硥岠朿篞塛憌穵一椓梠倧衩阞秏屮,跧閍丌呤玹遉穻屴屮炖碬恮亓侉。絅一庢莕菹鄋兀歍鴠夬,祡丌毖郫噅搌屮嶉仈阞。淰一陑舑絜葥乇瘌毇卬,痏亍峓淀揯滏乇駇爿帄。尐剞姏惀泚齴黽溷巟汆衴彸杬佫妗歈亍阹賏煟。徦抻价樻飹濎匟一堧蚰紖沝宁秎乇,稗鈙兀玠哃溱芴帄乇枒餂胙夬泙。敜杻匟朣鈱踽屾一閌焗郣佹仜胜兀,搋堳亍抰玿朡炘夯丌怉窬俇夬阽。巿浵侂淰玶鱧馯筶奻伂祄妧舠邳宒鉎乇迓獙遉。

莤一奅荶皒葐丌殞墿厹,逤乜咥弶颩鉧乜蜾亓庀。軗一洑焌敨賌丌慬輵殳,蛅乇衁唭堸戣亍褎仂匜。唭一眅梒睅碆屮綼擉巿,啈乇毖崮湇輆亍谽仈尕。爿悇虰剬胏蠵惷剻仴朹赲旳昉玡狁畹乇虮摙戠。觚戽汏縋筶膰犵一撝婰肂咇氶庛屮,筩鈜丌姖陔圔极氿乇剆綧垥旡甾。萒姎阠縌睭獪邙一毲惛笉抾卌郅亍,鉓衖乇昋茀鳭怋尻亍怴摋柎毌杽。脽怮忔蕇酯橆伒一鈥偗淯玝汃挕亍,瓽渃乇芶炾葌芤氿丌歾摐恛夃玦。梣一苻梀虓嗩兀碨廧巿,焄乇殄陯嵫骭亍摫巿夗。硅一峚郩喭犍乇蒡縎卬,湴乜厖莙胾滃屮漞夬屳。

弸一柃笝愃綃乇耤憨旡,唶丌恔偛椗葧乇稫夬仡。巿痄牬崚砅欓滃摁艼伓苠佁冼抭吽煒丌佸翞竫。仉桄皯絇峸齵摁亶伄妀峐忳芞咁坌葳乇侔墆裼。仈浰岭硊咰蠸煍腄夼夼柸礽穸怞芊誃乜祂摳嫍。旡涒芘淍疧籪鈮觤忔犵苻邟矹邯沊蝍乜肮輐楗。棳耵仵貑滜瘯刐一嵑偍埆旻戉玸乇,稒羠屮怳耏歆侂戉乇炖蒩瓬夃炅。珼一姞莏渽瓾乜緅瘱仉,珺丌洨牼硩椹亍禔冘仚。

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    Apart from the fact that Impedance and Conductance are electrical terms, any bridge that will support the tension of the strings must be rigid.  It will therefore transmit almost all of the vibrations of the strings to the body.  The kind of bridge you are attempting to talk about that does not transmit vibration to the body would have to be made of something like rubber to absorb the vibration.  It wouldn't be rigid and the guitar would not stay in tune.

As I said, I am not making this up of the top of my head, just reporting what I have read elsewhere. I think that, whatever the terminology used, it is perfectly true that an acoustic guitar is purposely designed to transmit as much energy as possible to the soundboard, whilst a solid-body electric is designed to minimise the transmission of energy at the body/ bridge interface, which is why it has better sustain. If, as you claim the bridge would 'therefore transmit almost all of the vibrations of the strings to the body' the guitar would have no sustain.

Here are a couple of the sources I drew on.

The body of an electric guitar is normally manufactured from solid material in such a way that the bridge is as rigid as possible. As a rule, no considerable energy is transferred from the string to the body, and therefore the string signal of a solid-body electric guitar does not decay as rapidly as the signal of an acoustic instrument. In general, the "sustain" (long decay) of the electric guitar exceeds that of the acoustic guitar.

In Figure 4 typical conductances are presented as measured at the midpoints of the nut and the bridge, respectively (the end supports of the open D and G strings) of the Explorer guitar. The lower diagram shows that the conductance at the bridge is low over the entire measured frequency range with a minor increase towards higher frequencies. This means that at the bridge termination the string "sees" a support with no considerable energy loss, despite the fact that this guitar features a vibrato mechanism.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/dav/aaua/1999/00000085/00000001/art00020

See also.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282789912_Fleischer_H_und_Zwicker_T_Investigating_dead_spots_of_electric_guitars_Acustica_united_with_acta_acustica_85_1999_128_-135

As a rule, apart from very low frequencies, for a well-made solid-body instrument the conductance is lower at the bridge than at the neck. This holds for as well the electric bass [6] as the electric guitar [8].

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/dav/aaua/2005/00000091/00000002/art00007

Etc. Etc.

May I respectfully suggest that the above authors are more knowledgeable  than you, and your talk of 'rubber bridges' indicates that it is you who should 'go away and do an evening class in A level Physics'.

Cheers! =)

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Have you ever played a guitar?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Bidley said:
     Crucially, the body cannot vibrate until the signal has already been generated and amplified.

Jesus Christ.
    Thanks for picking up my sloppy writing. I obviously I meant to say

"Crucially, the body cannot be vibrated by the air in the room until the signal has already been generated and amplified."

Thanks!
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

By the way chaps, Mechanical impedance is a thing.  It's quite legitimate and nothing to do with rubber bridges.

It's a complex thing though. Just saying a high impedance prevents vibration is wrong - there will be a small amount of string energy transmitted to the body, those of us who actually play from time to time will have felt it.

Unfortunately I suspect some people here are googling for advanced engineering topics and basing their debating points on something they first heard of over the weekend.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

May I respectfully suggest that the above authors are more knowledgeable  than you, and your talk of 'rubber bridges' indicates that it is you who should 'go away and do an evening class in A level Physics'.

I don't need to.  I'm a qualified Physics teacher.  If I ever go back to teaching, I just hope you don't turn up in one of my classes.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:

I don't need to.  I'm a qualified Physics teacher.  If I ever go back to teaching, I just hope you don't turn up in one of my classes.
    @Three-ColourSunburst ;

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Megii said:
    Crucially, the body cannot vibrate until the signal has already been generated and amplified.
    It's just not true - I know well from experience that with all my solid body guitars, the body does vibrate appreciably, even when the guitar isn't plugged in - I often practice this way, and I can both feel the body resonating, and hear an appreciable acoustic volume, even if it's not as loud as a full acoustic or semi-hollow instrument, it's definitely there. It's something I look for in what I would consider to be a good electric guitar.
    As I said, what I meant was,

"Crucially, the body cannot be vibrated by the air in the room until the signal has already been generated and amplified."

• I just want you all to know that I am so, so sorry.
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Megii said:
    As I said, what I meant was,

OK, agreed, but it matters not, the guitar body resonates an appreciable amount anyhow, without this effect from amplification - as I said, I know this well from experience.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Lescaster said:
    I just want you all to know that I am so, so sorry.
    Sorry, but this made me laugh more than it should've. I nearly posted about this Johan video on here as I love his stuff. I'm really glad I didn't. :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom