Anyone a member of any of the online "Rum Clubs"

What's Hot
Looking to get a subscription to one of the many "rum clubs" that are about. Where you pay a monthly fee and get a bottle of rum and some other stuff sent to you each month.

It's for a 40th gift for a friend of ours....anyone a member of any of them and can recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I can just recommend very good rums, from buying a lot of bottles
  • Ron zacapa gran reservations. Job done.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Santa Teresa 1796 - knocks Ron Zacapa into next week :) As does Diplomatico Riserva.
    Or, if you fancy something a little more single-malty, then one of the Berry Brothers & Rudd - I recommend the Panama.

Adam
  • my favourite is now Diplomatico Reserva (which you will find on sale in Michelin starred restaurants)
    £35 from Amazon is the best price
    Although Rum is not my main spirit any more, I have got through several bottles over the last 3 years whilst the Zacapa still sits unloved in the cupboard

A cheap copy of the ultra smooth Diplomatico is the marks and sparks guatemalan blended, that's been through bourbon barrels or something

An old, consistent favourite is Angostura 1919

My first favourite was Appleton special estate rum in the 90s, which won the IWSC best Rum in the world award, but Appleton have messed with their ranges, and brought in lesser rums with similar names, I hope one day they will return to former glories

It's always checking out the IWSC awards, although there is no guarantee your taste will match, the shortlists are a great starting point
    https://www.iwsc.net/result/trophy_winners/
    this year they recommend Rhum Agricole Vieux Neisson 12 ans d'âge, but it's £177 a bottle
    perhaps more useful is:

Rum Producer Of The Year 2017 Shortlist

Angostura Limited

Demerara Distillers

Distillerie Neisson

Rum Trading International

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Not rum, but around 10 years ago I used to be in a whisky one.  Basically they did numbered bottles from a single cask, at cask strength (so usually 60% or more!), from some unusual distilleries.

They started off at about £40 per bottle plus delivery, but got progressively more expensive.  When they hit £60 plus £15 for delivery I jacked it in.

Do these "rum clubs" work in a similar way, or are they more like discounts on readily available stuff?

• This one looks OK, £38 per month but you can pause and change the frequency of delivery:

https://craftrum.club/products/craft-rum-discovery-club
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • This one looks OK, £38 per month but you can pause and change the frequency of delivery:

A bottle every 1 or or 2 months would be a lot to get through surely?

I like the cheek of them selling one called:

RON DE JEREMY

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited September 2017
    This one looks OK, £38 per month but you can pause and change the frequency of delivery:

A bottle every 1 or or 2 months would be a lot to get through surely?

I like the cheek of them selling one called:

RON DE JEREMY

I was pondering that, but I don't think it is a lot to get through personally, and I'm not a heavy drinker. I'm trying to stop drinking so much beer. If you pour yourself 3 or 4 doubles every weekend then that's that for the month. I've been pondering interlacing a rum club with a gin club. I probably spend 50-100% more each month on corner shop beer. OK I am drinking too much at the moment I guess, but this seems to be a far more interesting way to consume alcohol.

I think if you pour yourself one measure after work each day, that's your bottle gone in a month or less.

EDIT: 28 days if you pour 25ml per day from a 70cl bottle!
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Zacapa Centenario XO is the stuff.

Zaya is awesome but really hard to get here. Don't think it's in stock anywhere at the moment.

I find Diplomatico to be too sweet personally but it's a palate thing - there's no doubt it's a superbly crafted rum.

I like having Goslings Family Reserve on hand too because it's delicious and also their "standard" rum is the original Dark & Stormy base spirit, which is one of the simplest and most delicious cocktails there is.

I'm into tiki drinks too so keep a bunch of other randoms around - overproof white rum, for example, is pretty useless on its own unless you're a tiki hobo, but required to make "proper" Zombies and similar.

(NB - if you ever find yourself in London (or Manchester) near a Hawksmoor steakhouse (or best, the original bar in Spitalfields), pop into the bar and try a Zombie... it's the best one on the planet IMO - £20 I think but basically serves four people handily. There's a loooooot of booze in it - a really great rum drink though!)

• randellarandella Frets: 4088
    Back in my slightly more hedonistic youth, I found myself in some pretty rum clubs. I suspect my tales of the Hacienda weren't what you were after though. 

I do like rum, mind - I'll be keeping in mind a few of the suggestions here. :)
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    I joined Tesco's Rum Club. I give them £23 per week and they give me a bottle of Kraken.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom