SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

wtb: Gibson Music City Les Paul

What's Hot
Hi all,

I heard about one of these a while back and they sound like they could be awesome. It also gives me the chance to check out a g/b bender without modifying my expensive tele.
Don't suppose anyone has one floating around?

Matt
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This one caught my eye on Reverb recently, I'd never heard of them before. It's in the UK. Link:
    https://reverb.com/item/5845627-gibson-music-city-les-paul-junior-2012-natural
  • nice! might put in an offer. the buying price is a touch steep
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3230
    edited September 2017
    Do it. And if you don't get on with it and decide to shift it in a year or two pop me a pm.

Want one of these myself but finances won't do it right now. Good luck with the hunt.
  • Reverb's own estimated used price of £626 - £861 gives you solid grounds to make an offer, though I assume these are often skewed by US sales where everything seems to go for less than it does here. The Reverb guide says "the vast majority of accepted offers fall between 70% to 95% of the seller's asking price" (apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs :-) ) so I would guess the buyer is expecting to sell within that ballpark. Good luck, hope to see an NGD post sometime soon!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16119
    coda had one about 2 years ago - perhaps you can see how much that was on some google search
  • borderlibrarianborderlibrarian Frets: 4
    edited September 2017
    Damn, I was really hoping no one else would spot that on Reverb until I had the funds together. Then somehow store it in an alternate dimension so my GF didn't notice the new purchase. So, yeah, that was never going to happen!

Seems like a much better deal than one of the Fender B-Bender Tele's or even sending any guitar off to get a B-Bender installed (It looks like no one in the UK installs benders anymore anyway)

If you do get it, please do a NGD post & maybe some gratuitous gut shots of the Glaser bender mechanism under the pick guard. I've heard it's a bell crank or something a bit different to your normal bender. So is more compact than say the PW/PG.

Sorry, I'm a bit mad for "String pull" guitars...
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Then somehow store it in an alternate dimension so my GF didn't notice the new purchase. ..
    F##k that! You're not even married! She'll get over it pretty quickly if you moved it in to her side of the wardrobe and packed her clothes in a suitcase....
  • Parker said:
    Then somehow store it in an alternate dimension so my GF didn't notice the new purchase. ..
    F##k that! You're not even married! She'll get over it pretty quickly if you moved it in to her side of the wardrobe and packed her clothes in a suitcase....
    Ha! Good point... Just spent my allotted gear funds elsewhere, so another time. 

Back on topic though, I've heard a lot of people say there were only 200 of the Music City Les Paul's made. I'm not entirely convinced (But could be reading serial numbers wrong). From a few serials I've seen:

September 18th, 2012, Production Number: 345 
    October 15th, 2012, Production Number: 109
    April 30th, 2013, Production Number: 285 
    June 21st, 2013, Production Number: 323 

Not sure if production number is the total number for that day, week or month to be honest. It's further confused about the mention of cherry red model from the article about the development of the guitar:

One of the most amazing things about this new instrument is its price—the Junior B-Bender is expected to have an MSRP of less than $1,500. This is especially impressive given the number of instruments planned. “It’s a limited run, three or four hundred pieces,” says Johns. “The first run is two hundred. We will probably do a classic Gibson cherry red color for the second two hundred. It is kind of a custom instrument, but with all the work Joe has done to make it foolproof, we can build it in production, making 50 or 100 a week.”

From this https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/On_A_Bender_Gibson_and_Joe_Glasers_Les_Paul_Junior_B-Bender

• well I made 2 reasonable offers, both of which expired. Never used reverb before so not sure if that's the seller declining them or just ignoring them. Shame though, I'm not keen on a grand for that.
  • Shame, I was looking forward to the NGD post! Intriguing guitar. Good luck with the search! 
  • It's a tough call as on paper it's probably a 600 quid guitar used but they are pretty rare , quite intriguing and may we'll be sought after in year to come (and no it's not mine, I'd quite fancy it too but not at that price !)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16119
    l seem to remember the Coda one was 650 quid so the good doctor is spot on
  • I'm gunna bump this again for the hell of it. I'd purchase one, if someone has one floating around.
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
  • haha amazing.
  • gunna just bump this to see if anyone's ever seen one around...
  • Hi @bermudianbrit I have one and I love it, literally imagine a les paul special and a telecaster had a baby with a bonus b bender and hey presto. I yearned for one for years before coming across one some time ago. The bender is great and it is one of the nicest sounding/playing guitars I own. Totally recommend.
  • yeah they sound amazing. Hence why I bump this topic every now and again.
  • The are really good although I've played a parsons white b bender so I've nothing to compare it too. I did have a bender unit which fitted onto a B5 bigsby unit which was ok but not a patch on the glaser unit in the nashville LP. 
  • I actually managed to pick one up at the end of last year. Found one during my regular trawl of the Cash Converters site. Couldn't believe my luck, dropped everything and took a long lunch, went and bought it the same day.

I've been pretty busy with new house, new job, new cat then kittens! I'll try and do a NGD soon. Mine is a bit rough, previous owner wasn't precious with it. Did upgrade to planet waves locking tuners so it's super stable tuning no matter who much B you bend. 

Just need to learn some decent lines for it now.