Crimson Stunning Stains query

What's Hot
Greetings,
For those who are familiar with the stains from Crimson Guitars, how much of a 'solid' colour could I expect from the black stain? Obviously there would still be grain showing through (plan on using their finishing oil on top of the stain), but how black would the wood end up being? It would be over a fairly light wood (see my new wood day post - the horse chestnut).
Again, thanks for any advice,
Adam
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited September 2017
    Never used the black, but have used the Cherry, there is quite a lot of colour in the stain, the more coats the deeper the colour but the grain will always show through......I think they do "shots" of colour now that you dilute yourself, so shouldn't cost a lot to experiment on an off cut

I'm not over keen on their oil finish, much prefer Wipe on Poly...just my preference.....

https://crimsonguitars.com/store/stunning-stains-samples/

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    you can normally get a pretty solid black with stain, but be aware that rubbing an oil in may lift some.

test on scrap or under a plate if you can

I have not used crimson but regularly use black chestnut spirit stain

fiebings leather dye is the most consistent and solid black, but check compatibility with your finish 
  • There was quite a long thread here:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/76402/wudtone-black-magic-woman-finish-any-experience/p1

It wasn't specifically about Crimson stains and oil, but there is a lot of discussion about these products. The OP did ultimately use Crimson black stain - unfortunately the pictures no longer work, but it if memory serves me correctly the results were good.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Cheers for that. I had found another thread on the Crimson stuff, but didnt really answer the question. I think if you root out the image URL you can get to see the images (if they are still there), but its an awkward work-around.

Adam
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1073
    Might be worth trying an off cut with the white vineger/steel wool oxidization ebonizing method?

there are plenty of how too's on YT but i'll be trying out this guys method

I have a solution brewing up atm for use on some rosewood fretboard's i want to darken up and as RW has a pretty high tannin level they should react well (even with out a tea wash)

ive tried leather dye in the past on fretboards but found it never seem to get deep enough into the wood and starts to come off after a few moths of play (not an issue if your sealing your body i guess) i had good results with the yellow crimson stain over ash/idigbo and the colour really pops out once you hit in with a gloss finish.

Cheers for the suggestion Gizmo, but in the past when I have tried the steel wool method it turned out a (very) dark grey rather than black. After the above advice, I think I'll try Crimson (or I might actually have some Chestnut black somewhere) stains plus their finishing oil. If nothing else, it will be a fairly cheap trial!
    I'm essentially looking for something that will work before christmas on a build yet to start, and not require the learning curve that rattle-can lacquer requires.

Cheers,
    Adam
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
    I've used crimson black stain works very well and very black. If you happen to have a small airbrush then spray it on, you use less plus you normally can get a solid black after two coats. I've also used an airbrush to put the oil finish on this stops any left of the colour, again you use far less oil and get a super finish much quicker. If you use spirit based black you can mix some of this into your first coat of oil which will then give you a very solid colour.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting idea re the airbrush. Something id not thought of. I do have a Badger ive used for enamels and another for acrylic so should be good to go there.

And of course i hadnt thought of tinting the oil either. Doh!

Cheers for the suggestions,
    Adam
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    GSPBASSES said:
    I've used crimson black stain works very well and very black. If you happen to have a small airbrush then spray it on, you use less plus you normally can get a solid black after two coats. I've also used an airbrush to put the oil finish on this stops any left of the colour, again you use far less oil and get a super finish much quicker. If you use spirit based black you can mix some of this into your first coat of oil which will then give you a very solid colour.

How much do you thin the oil down for airbrush use? 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
    Sarge said:

How much do you thin the oil down for airbrush use? 
    Most oil dose not need to be thinned.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• I've only used the white stain. Here's my effort:

https://i.imgur.com/SvkRIzj.jpg

Used the whole bottle and was going for a more solid finish, although I quite like the result I got. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thats a really interesting 'white' finish, think i might file that away for later on.

Adam
  • I've only used the white stain. Here's my effort:

https://i.imgur.com/SvkRIzj.jpg

Used the whole bottle and was going for a more solid finish, although I quite like the result I got. 

How did you apply this stain? Is it just a question of simply rubbing it in with a cloth?