Eko ranger or j 54 acoustic guitar id

Hi, can anybody help identify the age of this eko, and whether it's a ranger model or earlier j 54 model, as there's no model number on inner label, or it has perished

Many thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Ranger I think, because it has the later plain brown pickguard rather than the black/white one.

This pic shows a J54 (left) and two Rangers.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2903/ekocomparison.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    If that's not a Ranger, I'll eat my hat.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Looks like my old Ranger. Easy test, if you have to beat the bejaysus out of it to get any volume - it's a Ranger ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Surprisingly they're not all like that, even if a lot are. The singer I work with has a very nice one which we've used for fully acoustic gigs as well as recording, and it has plenty of volume and responsiveness.

They J54 and Ranger are the same guitars really, it's just a model designation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lavellenblavellenb Frets: 0
    edited January 2018
    Hi there, I’d say it’s a J-54. The Ranger rebrand had red in the label and the model stamp was repositioned to the bottom right ish. 

I have to say that my J 54 has a good volume output (compared to say, a takamine solid) and has a lovely overall tone. Warm, raspy, but with a lovely degree of top end and articulation; that’s with earthwood strings. 

The only thing that’s a surprise is the weight. It be heavy!!