Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is the Gibson SG not popular? cannot find a standard one anywhere

What's Hot

Comments

• badlydrawnbanjobadlydrawnbanjo Frets: 855
    edited September 2017
    Guitarse said:
    Love my 2012 SG standard I bought from @badlydrawnbanjo on this very forum in 2013. 
    That has burstbucker pickups in if my memory serves me right. @martinw might recall as it was his originally. It's a great guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    I've got a 2006 '61 reissue that isn't getting much use if you are interested? The pickups and machineheads were changed by the previous owner, but I have a set of 57 Classics and Klusons should anyone want it back to original spec. The current pickups are Bareknuckles but I'm not sure of the models.
  • +1 on the 61 reissues. I'd never owned an SG in all my years. Then last year Coda posted a used 2009 in cherry on Facebook and I bought it there and then. Upgraded the 57 Classics to some OX4s and it is one of the greatest guitars I have ever owned. Perfect weight, neck and sounds glorious 

• DougDoug Frets: 172
    You'd hate mine then... Mini buckers, robotuners and one of those titanium zero fret nuts.  

and a F'ugly headstock, why has Gibson changed this in recent years?, the original smaller headstock was perfect, (my 2p)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5400
    edited September 2017
    I want one with a Bigsby. They seem to do a short run about once a decade...

If the Brian Ray sig model didn't have the ostentatious nameplate at the neck join I'd consider that, but a quality USA Standard with a B-5 and 57 Classics would be totally killer. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited September 2017
    Love my 2008 Standard (as pictured in my avatar/profile pic thingy) now I've found the right pickups for it! I wish it had a small pickguard though, the big ones look cheaper to me. I've often thought about getting it filled and refinished but that feels a bit of an unnecessary expense tbh! Especially when mine already has a lovely cherry which is almost orange in bright daylight. 

You mostly get used to the "feels too left" thing after a while though I do occasionally have a night playing it where it still feels odd - the best way to counter it is to just hang your guitar more to your right hand side and angle the neck upwards a bit.

Personally I wish Gibson would make an affordable SG Jr in vintage white.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22683
    Whitecat said:
    I want one with a Bigsby. They seem to do a short run about once a decade...

If the Brian Ray sig model didn't have the ostentatious nameplate at the neck join I'd consider that, but a quality USA Standard with a B-5 and 57 Classics would be totally killer. 
    That's easily changed though, you could even make a plate if one's not available to buy.  I think that's a very cool guitar, and the option to remove the Bigsby courtesy of the Vibramate is a nice touch.  As always, I just wish it had a fatter neck....
  • Let go of the the neck and the headstock bounces off the carpet, sg's aren't for me at all.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    Let go of the the neck and the headstock bounces off the carpet, sg's aren't for me at all.
    Only if you get a bad one :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I owned a Yamaha sg2000 once, superbly made guitar but the strap button madecthe guitar sit way to the left and was terribly unbalanced. Broke my heart to sell it but I couldn't live with it
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13932
    edited September 2017

Custom Shop SG?

https://worldguitars.co.uk/shop/gibson-custom-shop-standard-historic-sg-maestro-vos-faded-cherry-063002/

A snip at £4K with the ugly steel contraption vibrato and a poorly aligned neck.

I've seen much more appealing CS SGs

• In general I find the SG bridge pickup can sound good (with the right pickup) but the neck pickup never seems to get full and plummy enough, reminds me of a PRS 24 fret neck pickup tone, a bit honky and not quite there for me. 

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6118
    tFB Trader
    In general I find the SG bridge pickup can sound good (with the right pickup) but the neck pickup never seems to get full and plummy enough, reminds me of a PRS 24 fret neck pickup tone, a bit honky and not quite there for me. 
    agreed, although i have some lovely pickups waiting to go in whatever SG i manage to get hold of.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    This: http://www.davidjpym.com/page309.html

I've played it and it's an amazing SG
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6118
    tFB Trader
    peteri said:

yeah that looks amazing.

so does this one.....

http://www.davidjpym.com/page370.html

although his prices seem quite high?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Talk to him - there's always a deal.

I've got two guitars from him (one directly, one from a forum member) - both are top notch and he gave me really great after sales on my Tele too
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22683

The SGs in those last few links are all very nice, but all over £4k.  Ouch! 

I've gone over £2.5k a few times but I don't think I can envisage ever breaking the £4k barrier.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    peteri said:

Pretty sure that's a 1971 and not 1970.  Shallow horn bevels and a proper volute were 1971 features according to SG aficionados.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334

What's going between the neck pickup and the end of the fingerboard, is there some odd shaped plastic or is it a shadow?