Acoustic strumming plectrum faves?

camfcamf Frets: 1190
I can't find anything I really like. I'm looking for something with a softer feel that's closer to finger/thumb tone. Any suggestions? Or do I need to just toughen up my thumb.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited September 2017
    Something made with nylon, but it'll still have more attack than a finger pad.

The Dava control picks have a nice tone and can be soft-ish if you hold them far enough back.  But still fairly stiff for strumming and still brighter than a thumb pad.

I have some thick rubber type picks by Wedgie that will do the tone you want but they aren't very flexible for strumming.

For strumming I'd usually go for a .60 nylon as a good compromise, it's pretty flexible but you can still pick with it.  Won't do the sound you want though.  The thick nylon picks e.g. 1.5mm have a less bright tone but they're pretty stiff for strumming.

If you really want thumb tone you might just have to work on that
  • I use the same picks for all my playing - Jim Dunlop Nylon 1.0mm. I don't like really thin ones, even for strumming.

edited September 2017
    It depends on what sound you want though, not just what pick you like the feel of.

You'll never get that pop song strumming thin/bright acoustic tone with a heavy pick, for example.  Even a .60 can be a bit heavy for some sounds, sometimes I go for a .50 Tortex to keep the low end under control and a bit of a brighter sound. 

Likewise if you want a thicker sound a thin pick isn't the way to go.  Just shooting out a .60 vs say a 1.5mm pick for a simple arpeggiated chord part can make the guitar sound like a totally different instrument.

Picks can make a really big difference to acoustic sounds.
  • I use the same picks for all my playing.... I don't like really thin ones, even for strumming.

Same here. For a long time I've used the small amber Jazz 3 Ultex picks for everything. I just hold the pick lightly for strumming.

I'm currently experimenting with new John Petrucci primetone (oxblood) pick which is the standard small Jazz 3 size and smaller than his previous one. It's a bit pricey and I'm still trying to make up my mind about whether it's worth the extra money.

It's not a competition.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    So far, for me, a .80mm nylon Dunlop is proving the best balance between stiffness and flex. I suppose I was just wondering if anyone had found something that brought them closer to that softer thumb/finger feel but still allowed for ease of strumming and didn't fall apart after an hour or two. :)
    edited September 2017
    It might be worth looking at the Dava control nylon then.  It should be a bit thicker sounding, but still able to be roughly as flexible due to the way it is cut in the centre to allow flex when holding it further up

Edit - just realised there actually is a .80 dunlop nylon pick, I thought there was only a .88.  I've never tried a .80

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    I tend to go for thicker picks.  I don't like that clacky thin sound you get with thin ones.  I'm not sure there is any pick that will get a sound like the fleshy part of the thumb.  I know there used to be felt ones years ago.  Not sure if they would work.
  • Dunlop 0.88mm Nylons - I use them for everything - thin enough for strumming but thick enough for electric lead playing. They sound less 'scratchy' than most picks so work well with fingers when hybrid picking.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    Thanks y'all. I'll need go try some new ones. :)
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    I use these https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/515r-7-10137-07732-4.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=2&refType=&from=fn

which are quite thick but I loosen my grip and they feel a bit more strummable.  I've also use cardboard cut into circles for recording