Martin 0018 - good all rounder?

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5614
Would a Martin 0018 be a good all round acoustic? I was on the lookout for a Taylor GC but have come across the Martin. Only trouble is I'll be buying blind. 

I used to own a D1 some years ago and loved it but didn't know much about acoustics back then. It had a great sound but I found it a bit resistant to finger picking. 

TIA

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited September 2017
    00s are quite small guitars - very good for finger picking but not a great strummer, or for use in dropped tunings. A 000 would be a better all-rounder.

I'd never buy an acoustic at this level without playing it. Even at the quality end of the market, there are significant differences between samples of the same model.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    edited September 2017
    00s are quite small guitars - very good for finger picking but not a great strummer, or for use in dropped tunings. A 000 would be a better all-rounder.

I'd never buy an acoustic at this level without playing it. Even at the quality end of the market, there are significant differences between samples of the same model.

Unfortunately I am going to have to disagree:D 

I have a Martin 0015 and a guild f 20 you can do everything on an 00, tuning down is never ever an issue and for strumming, as long as it's made with quality woods then it will sound great strummed or picked (granted you're not going to get the boom of a dread, but you will get a lively sweet high end and mid range) the only issues will be heavy strumming , but again I get a rasp withbthe f 20, but the 0015 laps it up.

Just ask nick drake.. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017

• Haych said:
     Only trouble is I'll be buying blind. 

I could not consider purchasing an instrument without playing it ! - ever.
    I bought a far eastern 'copy' for a knock about a few years ago <> £500 and had to play it first.
    sorry to be so blunt.
    happy pickin

• HaychHaych Frets: 5614
    AliGorie said:
    Haych said:
     Only trouble is I'll be buying blind. 

I could not consider purchasing an instrument without playing it ! - ever.
    I bought a far eastern 'copy' for a knock about a few years ago <> £500 and had to play it first.
    sorry to be so blunt.
    happy pickin

I hear what you say and totally see you point of view. 

• LewyLewy Frets: 4155
    edited September 2017
    I wouldn't buy unseen for a private deal but I wouldn't see a problem doing it with a retailer that had a clear returns policy etc. I've bought two guitars that way and even if I'd have had to package them up and send them back it would have been less hassle than dragging my arse to a dealer that stocked that particular guitar.

• I have a Martin 0015 and a guild f 20 you can do everything on an 00, tuning down is never ever an issue and for strumming, as long as it's made with quality woods then it will sound great strummed or picked (granted you're not going to get the boom of a dread, but you will get a lively sweet high end and mid range) the only issues will be heavy strumming , but again I get a rasp withbthe f 20, but the 0015 laps it up.

Just ask nick drake.. 
    If we could ask Nick Drake, it appears his answer would be that he played a Dreadnought (Levin?) on most of his records. The Guild Drake was pictured with was apparently someone else's guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017

I have a Martin 0015 and a guild f 20 you can do everything on an 00, tuning down is never ever an issue and for strumming, as long as it's made with quality woods then it will sound great strummed or picked (granted you're not going to get the boom of a dread, but you will get a lively sweet high end and mid range) the only issues will be heavy strumming , but again I get a rasp withbthe f 20, but the 0015 laps it up.

Just ask nick drake.. 
    If we could ask Nick Drake, it appears his answer would be that he played a Dreadnought (Levin?) on most of his records. The Guild Drake was pictured with was apparently someone else's guitar.

Iirc the main studio guitar for bryter later and pink moon was a all mahogany Martin, the sound engineer for the albums confirmed this, plus the guild m 20 on the cover belonged to the studio but was also used.  
  • The Martin 0018v would be a good shout and a good quality Gibson L00 would be excellent finger style guitars, but for out and out strumming I think, like Richard above, a 000, OM, J45 or Dread would be the better option.
  • I have an all-hog 0016 WCE - it's a fantastic guitar. Doesn't have the headroom, volume and punch of a dread but it works fine for strumming if you're not beating the crap out of it. If you play too hard it gets a bit compressed and metallic. Bloody comfy wee guitar though!

I was was really surprised with how versatile it is. I'm not sure if the WCE versions get any special treatment in the factory but I like this much more than most standard martins ive tried off the wall. 

I bought this online from Sound Affects premier, who were great to deal with.
    I do like the sound of a dread, my D1 sounded awesome strummed or flat picked but I just couldn't get the top moving enough for fingerpicking. I was using much lighter strings back then though. 

If if I could find another D1 I'd probably buy one just because. 

I'm mainly looking for something that will be responsive for fingerstyle and I do love the warm Martin tone. It would be nice if it could handle a bit of strumming and flat picking too though. 

• You could try a D16 it has scalloped bracing so should be more conducive to finger style. Also, my J45 is good for both finger style and strumming.
    You could try a D16 it has scalloped bracing so should be more conducive to finger style. Also, my J45 is good for both finger style and strumming.
    Thanks. Is the D16GT a different animal or one and the same? That's all I could find when I Googled 'D16'. 

• Haych said:
    You could try a D16 it has scalloped bracing so should be more conducive to finger style. Also, my J45 is good for both finger style and strumming.
    Thanks. Is the D16GT a different animal or one and the same? That's all I could find when I Googled 'D16'. 
    Yep it is the same thing

• Haych said:
    Would a Martin 0018 be a good all round acoustic? I was on the lookout for a Taylor GC but have come across the Martin. Only trouble is I'll be buying blind. 

I used to own a D1 some years ago and loved it but didn't know much about acoustics back then. It had a great sound but I found it a bit resistant to finger picking. 

TIA
    Is there any reason to why you are buying blind?  A 00-18's a great guitar but IMO you'd be better off finding yourself to a guitar with a decent selection of acoustic guitars in different body sizes/nut widths/neck profiles/string spacing at saddle and find which is specs suit you best as a player.  

IMO, acoustic guitar ergonomics are incredibly important and after that you can find the sound afterwards. 
  • I'm in agreement with the 'Go and try them' brigade.

I'd also recommend a trip to that there London if you can - in particular Westside on Denmark St.  They are the Martin distributor and have pretty much all the current models available.  I went in there, spent an hour or so trying all different models against each other and it gave me a significantly shorter list of guitars that I'd consider than when I went in.  It also gave me an opportunity to A/B a 00-18 and a 00-18V.  Subtle but noticeable differences.  The team there were very accommodating and even managed to effectively bridge the North/South language barrier.

There is also Ivor Mairants round the corner who have a fantastic selection of high end stuff.