Johnny Marr Jag: Staytrem or Mastery ?

What's Hot
Incoming Jag, and I'd like to know Staytrem or Mastery as an upgrade ?

- which is easiest to fit ?

- where can I buy one ?

- which models/spec do I need ?

Thanks in advance,
Waz
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 735
    edited September 2017
    Staytrem is basically a direct swap with the stock bridge and only requires height adjustment. It's what Johnny himself uses. You can buy them direct from Staytrem. You need the 7.25 inch version (though I've used a 9.5 version on my AV65 Jag with shims under the middle two saddles - the 7.25 version didn't have enough clearance for either E string on mine - too MUCH neck angle!). Ask for nylon bushings to be included (which keep the bridge centred) just in case you want to restrict the floating aspect of the bridge. 

Mastery is a little more fiddly to set up and changes the tone a bit (some feel for better, some for worse). There is noticeably more sustain, in my opinion, and it works by being fixed in place and letting the strings slide over the smooth saddles rather than the bridge rocking back and forth. A Mastery can be bought direct from the USA or I believe some UK stockists now exist. You'd want the M1 model for USA guitars. It's generally about twice the price of a staytrem. 

Personally i tried both and preferred the staytrem on both my Jaguar and Jazzmaster. 

Edit: looks like John at Staytrem is having a break. They're £65 plus £1 p&p if I remember correctly though. Just seen a stockist for Mastery - £170 for a bridge!!! The £ being a little stronger in the last week might mean buying from the US is better, I've done this before and paid £120 or so (avoiding customs charges, which is a gamble). It looks like you're sticking with the stock bridge for a bit either way!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If the Staytrem is going for Johnny it's good enough for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    edited September 2017
    The Staytrem is excellent. I wish there was a smidgen more clearance between the strings and the tailpiece-facing edge of the bridge, but it's not really an issue. I went for a Staytrem on my JM build as someone here happened to be selling one at the right time, but haven't felt the need to switch to a Mastery in the last 18 months. I'd be interested to try one, but it's not a priority!

Masterys (Masteries?) look like a very good bit of hardware in engineering terms, but the fact that they fill the ferrules so that the bridge doesn't pivot is a shame. I guess they're aimed more at the TOM crowd than the Staytrem.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • @jellybelly - I noticed that the Staytrem site is down till Wednesday?!
  • @jellybelly - I noticed that the Staytrem site is down till Wednesday?!
    He's a one man operation (the site is pretty basic once you get to it) and I gather he doesn't like taking orders he can't immediately fill - worth waiting I'd say! 
  • I found that too, as I said, shims wth the 9.5 inch model solved this. I think all was fine till the new US models with the built in shim came along, possibly requires a slight redesign...
    The Staytrem is excellent. I wish there was a smidgen more clearance between the strings and the tailpiece-facing edge of the bridge, but it's not really an issue.
  • Have had both for long periods of time, and I marginally prefer staytrem too. The Mastery sounds a bit better to me, but is still prone to rattles and they can need constant tweaking. Staytrem you fit, and it's done. 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I've got a Staytrem fitted on my CS JM. Guitar has got a 9.5" fretboard and the 9.5" radius Staytrem was a simple fit and forget process. The intonation needed the tiniest of tweaks to be perfect with the 11 flatwounds I use and this is a remarkably simple process with the ball ended allen key he supplies  - it's a well designed unit with the adjustment screws slightly offset from the strings. I've not tried the Masstery - looks weird and is too many pennies!
  • My money went on Staytrem. Their system fixes all of the issues on a Jaguar vibrato that I wanted fixed without making the guitar look noticeably meddled with.
    Be seeing you.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    edited September 2017
    Im assuming it's this 9.5" one for the Johnny Marr Jaguar ? Or is it the 7.25" ?

https://reverb.com/item/4974964-staytrem-bridge-jazzmaster-jaguar-stainless-steel-9-5-radius
  • Staytrem all day. Mastery is overpriced for what it is but you folks don't need me to tell u that :)
  • On a slightly different note, the Tec guy I know can set jags up proper so you don't 'need' to upgrade. 
  • Im assuming it's this 9.5" one for the Johnny Marr Jaguar ? Or is it the 7.25" ?

https://reverb.com/item/4974964-staytrem-bridge-jazzmaster-jaguar-stainless-steel-9-5-radius
    The Marr has a 7.25 radius.
  • Im assuming it's this 9.5" one for the Johnny Marr Jaguar ? Or is it the 7.25" ?

Ooh, thanks for that. I've had a Mastery on order forever from my local shop, and they are perennially "stuck in Customs". Staytrem preferable, so I just went and bought that one on Reverb. Tip of the hat to you, sir.

You need an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.

My feedback page: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91654/
  • Almost 50% more expensive than buying direct, and the wrong radius for your guitar... or did I miss something here?
  • Isn't the Johnny Marr Jag bridge designed by Staytrem anyway?
    Link to my trading feedback
  • Isn't the Johnny Marr Jag bridge designed by Staytrem anyway?
    No, my understanding is that just the rubber gromety thingies were from Staytrem...
  • So, another question... does the Johnny Marr jag need a Staytrem tremolo instead of the standard one ?
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited September 2017
    So, another question... does the Johnny Marr jag need a Staytrem tremolo instead of the standard one ?

Johnny Marr seems to think so
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 161
    So, another question... does the Johnny Marr jag need a Staytrem tremolo instead of the standard one ?
    Why don't you try first and see?