Replacing pickups on an Indonesian Squier Tele

What's Hot
This week I replaced the pickup selector and potentiometers on the Squier Tele I bought from @strumjoughlamps back in March.  Turns out that in order to save money Fender make the control slot smaller than on a standard Tele because they only have to accommodate tiny potentiometers and a crappy switch that doesn't poke so far into the body cavity.  So I had to grind away extra space in the body to accomodate my new components.  Now my electronics don't crackle  :3 

This wasn't too much of a hardship.  I suspect there are others out there who have encountered this same issue.

I am now planning on replacing my pickups.  Does anyone know if I will encounter similar problems fitting new pickups to my Squier?  Will standard pickups just pop straight in there or am I going to find myself having to carve out a bigger space?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    They'll be a direct replacement without modification.
    Only issue can be some bridge pickups can use wide mounting screws that are wider than the screw holes on US models. If you're using an import one then you don't have that to worry about.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 878
    Thank you @Alegree ;

I think the planets must be coming into alignment - that you should be the person who answered - because I'm considering a Cirrostratus to go in the bridge position.  My plan when I bought the guitar was to put a Seymour Duncan five-two in there.  I wonder whether you've experimented with a different alnico for the B and E strings to try and make those strings a bit sweeter?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    TBH, Alex's Cirrostratus bridge pickup doesn't need sweetening on the B and E strings imho!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • On budget instruments from the Indonesian Cort factory, I often find that the cavity routing can be pretty ragged. It would be worthwhile to take a good look for bumps, dips and splintery bits sticking out wherever the routing bit had to change direction.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    revsorg said:
    Thank you @Alegree ;

I think the planets must be coming into alignment - that you should be the person who answered - because I'm considering a Cirrostratus to go in the bridge position.  My plan when I bought the guitar was to put a Seymour Duncan five-two in there.  I wonder whether you've experimented with a different alnico for the B and E strings to try and make those strings a bit sweeter?
    A3 is pretty much as sweet as alnico gets.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • Fender American Standard Stratocaster pickups used to have moulded plastic bobbins. This construction made it possible to shift the rod magnet polepieces with no fear of damaging the copper coil. 

In one experiment, I substituted three A3 magnets from a knackered Highway1 pickup for three of the original A5 magnets. The result was a "Five-Three" - so to speak. In a coil of approximately 6k Ohms, the strings vibrating above the A3 rod magnets generated noticeably less signal than those vibrating above the A5 ones.

All A3 or all A5 is usually the most practical solution.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I wonder if the magnet charge has something to do with that @Funkfingers ; Ive got a set of Strat pickups in my fave Strat built by Marc at Mojo with different magnets and they are incredible plus balanced. Perhaps (without giving away secrets) @TheGuitarWeasel  or @Mojopickups  could comment on that.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10234
    tFB Trader
    Fender American Standard Stratocaster pickups used to have moulded plastic bobbins. This construction made it possible to shift the rod magnet polepieces with no fear of damaging the copper coil. 

In one experiment, I substituted three A3 magnets from a knackered Highway1 pickup for three of the original A5 magnets. The result was a "Five-Three" - so to speak. In a coil of approximately 6k Ohms, the strings vibrating above the A3 rod magnets generated noticeably less signal than those vibrating above the A5 ones.

All A3 or all A5 is usually the most practical solution.

Both Mark and I make A3/A5 sets quite happily. I recommend that my Cal 53 sets are given a little more tilt, and are a little closer at the treble side than the bass side. Never had an issue with different volumes across the strings. There are a couple more things I do ... and Mark probably does ... that even things out ... but that is in the realm of 'tricks of the trade'.

As an aside plastic bobbin Strat pickups can never be made to sound like conventionally made Strat pickups as there is 1mm plus of plastic surrounding each magnet, and the winding wire can't lay directly on the magnets ... which is right in the 'sweet spot'. It was a cost saving measure from Fender. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    edited September 2017
    Both Mark and I make A3/A5 sets quite happily. I recommend that my Cal 53 sets are given a little more tilt, and are a little closer at the treble side than the bass side. Never had an issue with different volumes across the strings. 
    As mentioned above, I was experimenting with a pickup that was already knackered. I was given it for free. I received no indication of what damage may have been inflicted upon it.
    TheGuitarWeasel said:
    As an aside, plastic bobbin Strat pickups can never be made to sound like conventionally made Strat pickups as there is 1mm plus of plastic surrounding each magnet, and the winding wire can't lay directly on the magnets ... which is right in the 'sweet spot'. It was a cost saving measure from Fender. 
    This explains why Fender plastic bobbin single coils always disappoint me.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 878
    Alegree said:
    They'll be a direct replacement without modification.
    Only issue can be some bridge pickups can use wide mounting screws that are wider than the screw holes on US models. If you're using an import one then you don't have that to worry about.
    My Cirrostratus arrived today and you're quite right the Squier bridge pickups use smaller screws  :s