Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What type of dog did I just see?

What's Hot
I was walking back from central London today and went through St. John's Wood, which was nice apart from the pissing rain.

Anyway, I was sheltering from said rain under a tree when a couple of people walked by with their dogs, and one in particular caught my attention (because it was closest to me, I was in its path and I'm a bit jumpy around dogs) - it was something I'm not sure I recall seeing before, but I don't know what it was. Stand by for a description:

- It was completely black, no markings or anything that I could see.
- Facially it looked a little bit like a chow chow or something like that, but less pudgy.
- It was big and well-built - not Great Dane size, but much bigger than something like a Labrador. Despite the visual comparison to a chow chow that I just made, it wasn't a fat-looking dog - it was longer and more muscular.
- It had a noticeably thick, bushy tail that was quite long.
- The rest of its coat was short.

I'm just curious really... as I say, I'd not seen a dog that looked like it before and I'd be interested to know.

Anyone, any ideas?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15961
    Image result for black cow
    tae be or not tae be
    59reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Did it have any Green, Amber and Red lights on it? ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Image result for Werewolf
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• One of these with a haircut?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• hootsmon said:
    Actual lol..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Asian Bearcat.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If you were sheltering under a tree you're lucky it didn't piss on your shoes.
    Or get struck by lightning.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Tibetan Mastiff
      Cano Corsa
      ???
    If it's St John's Wood it was probably one of these
    Image result for black poodle

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited September 2017
    I'm guessing a Eurasier- they are a Chow/Samoyed/Keeshond mix, although they are classed as a pure breed now.

It might be a cross or a mixed breed.
    You do get Chow/Molosser crosses but it could be anything.
    The all black coat usually indicates that only one parent was necessarily black as black is usually a dominant genetic trait- (although it could be both).
    A Chow Boerboel mix would look a bit like what you describe but it could easily be any breed that had one black parent.

FWIW Chow chows aren't 'fat' dogs- that is just their structure- they are mostly all fur, rather than fat.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Bucket said:

- It was completely black, no markings or anything that I could see.
    - Facially it looked a little bit like a chow chow or something like that, but less pudgy.
    - It was big and well-built - not Great Dane size, but much bigger than something like a Labrador. Despite the visual comparison to a chow chow that I just made, it wasn't a fat-looking dog - it was longer and more muscular.
    - It had a noticeably thick, bushy tail that was quite long.
    - The rest of its coat was short.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/Jaguar.jpg/1200px-Jaguar.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2017
    octatonic said:
    I'm guessing a Eurasier- they are a Chow/Samoyed/Keeshond mix, although they are classed as a pure breed now.

The all black coat usually indicates that only one parent was necessarily black as black is usually a dominant genetic trait- (although it could be both).
    A Chow Boerboel mix would look a bit like what you describe but it could easily be any breed that had one black parent.

FWIW Chow chows aren't 'fat' dogs- that is just their structure- they are mostly all fur, rather than fat.
    Just looked up Eurasier - relatively close, especially in facial structure, but it was definitely short-haired and the tail was different. It was also longer and a bit less stocky in build. The only way I can describe it is to say it looked like a fox's tail in shape, but slightly smaller.

Out of curiosity, I just googled "chow chow akita mix" and actually, it looked quite like this but black, and as I say, with a shorter coat and that weird fox-like tail:

http://www.101dogbreeds.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Akita-Chow.jpg
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I was thinking Newfoundland. My mum has a Newfy crossed with a Pyranean, he fits the description.
    My V key is broken
  • Hound of the Baskervilles? Or was it Scooby Doo?

• I was out walking the dog today, which is a black mongrel, when I spotted some pervert hiding in the woods taking photos. I managed to get a quick shot on my phone for the police

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Bucket said:
    octatonic said:

Just looked up Eurasier - relatively close, especially in facial structure, but it was definitely short-haired and the tail was different. It was also longer and a bit less stocky in build. The only way I can describe it is to say it looked like a fox's tail in shape, but slightly smaller.

Out of curiosity, I just googled "chow chow akita mix" and actually, it looked quite like this but black, and as I say, with a shorter coat and that weird fox-like tail:

http://www.101dogbreeds.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Akita-Chow.jpg
    Well it could be a Shiba Inu- but they aren't usually all black.
    They look like this:

• Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    hootsmon said:
    I don't think I've seen a post with more LOLs on here !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.