Testing coil split wiring without disassembly

I have a two humbucker guitar which are both coil split but I'm not hearing an audible effect when splitting the neck pickup.

Does it prove anything to measure resistance across the guitar's output while changing the switch position?

Pickup selector to bridge gave 5260 ohms (unsplit) and 2649 (split)
Pickup selector to neck gave 2306 ohms (unsplit) and 2275 (split)

I'm sure that's a bit coarse but the bridge results make sense to me and the neck results show barely any change.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    You've got something going wrong there. No humbuckers are 5.3k. Are all your controls maxed for testing?
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • Yep, controls maxed (I'll check again).

They're actually Haussel Tronebuckers, if that makes any difference.
    tFB Trader
    Humbuckers are typically 7-20k. I can only see those readings with a split/parallel which goes from 1/2 to 1/4 resistance - so your humbucker would be 10k in the bridge. That would be a normal reading for standard operation.
  • Thanks @Alegree ;

Readings aside, does my approach seem sound? I should expect the neck resistance reading to half when split...just like the bridge does?
    tFB Trader
    Yes.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Unless it has a resistor in series to give a partial coil split, like PRS uses on the DGT. In that case you will get the combined resistance of one coil plus the split resistor, which could be in the range you're getting. If the switch wasn't working at all you would get no change.

What happens if you tap the polepieces with a screwdriver when the pickup is split - do you get a different noise on each coil? (ie the sound through the amp!) Is it different from when the pickup isn't split?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Bridge behaves as you'd expect but the neck polepieces sound the same whether coil tapped or not.
    In that case it sounds like the switch may have a bad contact in it, if the resistance changes a bit but one set of poles doesn't go quiet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks...I'll look into it.
  • This is weird...it's 'fixed itself'...all on its own ;)

Pickup selector to bridge reads 5270 ohms (unsplit) and 2650 (split) [same as before, more or less]
    Pickup selector to neck now reads 4440 ohms (unsplit) and 2279 (split)

I haven't sprayed any contact cleaner or taken anything apart...although I have done quite a bit of staring at it. So I presume a bit of usage (it's a new guitar) has 'freed up' the push/pull pot...and the neck pickup was permanently split up to this point?
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3243
    edited September 2017
    Goddamn...I just tried it again and it's back to faulty! Multimeter back into action...

Pickup selector to neck gave 2348 ohms (unsplit) and 2300 (split)

Very slightly higher readings than last time...and I'm sure it varied a little as I wobbled the pickup...although that could be me touching it with bare fingers, right?

Any ideas? I might lift the pickup out for inspection...not that I know what I'm looking for.
    edited September 2017
    That sounds like you have a short in one coil. Inspecting it probably won't tell you much - if it's a nearly complete short it will be where the inner end wire crosses the rest of the coil probably.

If it is that, the only fix is to rewind the coil.

Depending on how the coil split switching is arranged it might be a short to ground though, which could be in the pickup cable and will be fixable by replacing that.

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    That sounds like you have a short in one coil. Inspecting it probably won't tell you much - if it's a nearly complete short it will be where the inner end wire crosses the rest of the coil probably.

If it is that, the only fix is to rewind the coil.

Depending on how the coil split switching is arranged it might be a short to ground though, which could be in the pickup cable and will be fixable by replacing that.
    There's tons of ways a pickup can short out, relatively few of them require rewinds, actually.

Most pickups that come to me 'requiring rewinds' require a little poking, prodding and insulating and that's all.
  • Thanks both. It's a new guitar so there's a new pickup on the way.