"Hand Made In Hornsea By A Professional"

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ...and the listing is gone. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Which page did you comment on?

R.
  • Which page did you comment on?

R.

On the Facebook page. Oh- has he got it listed on more than one group?

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, several.

Search for "Hand Made In Hornsea By A Professional"
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    The reason the listing's gone is that I bought it. Plugged it in yesterday afternoon and now, sadly, my house is gone too. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    That amp is advertised on my group and I know of the seller - I'll message him to check this thread.   
  • Yeah, several.

Search for "Hand Made In Hornsea By A Professional"
    Be interesting to see if he pulls all the listings or just the one I commented on. That's the only one I'm a member of on Facebook. 

• Would somebody in the know be up for taking a look at my amp and seeing if I'm in any danger too?!

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• vertigo88vertigo88 Frets: 12
    edited September 2017

• ive just bought it for my mother in law
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    @vertigo88 - the badly fitted output transformer over a gaping hole in the chassis that it doesn't fit and with unprotected high voltage wires passing the rough edges of the metal is not good. The power transformer mounting is better although it's also clearly a replacement that doesn't fit properly, and there should really be a support frame on the inside of the chassis.

The mains fuse is in the neutral line not the live, which is incorrect. I can't see exactly what's going on with that second fuse inside - where does that thick blue wire coming from the mains fuseholder go? Both it, a green wire, a black wire and a plain solid wire all appear to go to the left end of the fuseholder, which isn't right. In the worst case it means the neutral is connected to the chassis, but I would need to see properly what's there, it may not actually be that. The fuse also looks blown...

If you don't mind me asking - who built this, and who repaired/modded it?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2570
    tFB Trader
    Most decent shops in the know won't buy/sell amps unless they are CE marked, which is a legal requirement for any new amp sold in the UK whether its a 1 off custom build or a kit build. The CE mark means that the builder has done due diligence to ensure the product they give you is safe.

Refurbs/vintage amps are not required to be CE marked, unless the seller has changed its original function significantly.

If you buy an amp that is not CE marked then you are not dealing with a professional, and said "professional" is operating outside the law, and if they are doing that what else are they ignoring. Valve amps can be very dangerous.

Facebook and e-bay are full of illegal amp builds, if you are brave enough to buy one get it checked by a good tech before using it, allot of techs won't do this though.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    edited September 2017
    Most decent shops in the know won't buy/sell amps unless they are CE marked, which is a legal requirement for any new amp sold in the UK whether its a 1 off custom build or a kit build. The CE mark means that the builder has done due diligence to ensure the product they give you is safe.

The CE mark means the manufacturer has put a CE mark on it........

I see a ton of stuff, which in my opinion, would not conform to the regs as I interpret them. 

This is not just from small builders, but also from major manufacturers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM The blue wire from the bottom of the mains fuse holder goes into the flex that ends in the wall plug.

The thicker cloth covered blue wire, along with the green wire and a wire from one side of the 'ON' switch all go into a rubber grommet, behind that fuse, that feeds them back into the transformer.

The left hand side of the fuse holder, the black wire and plain wire are soldered together, not with the others. 

There's a sticker on the chassis cover that says:-

Fuses.

MAINS  T1A x 1 1/4
    HT         T250 MA x 20

It does look blown in the photo but pretty sure I can see the wire intact in it.

Cheers for all the help.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Ok, that's at least not so bad - the thicker blue wire should go to the transformer, which is not visible in the pic. So it's not dangerous to use, but I would suggest getting the output transformer wiring sorted and the mains connections reversed so the fuse is in the live line, at some point.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2570
    tFB Trader
    jpfamps said:

The CE mark means the manufacturer has put a CE mark on it........

I see a ton of stuff, which in my opinion, would not conform to the regs as I interpret them. 

This is not just from small builders, but also from major manufacturers.
    The directive says your product will not cause injury/death/fire, the CE mark acknowledges this responsibility, most vintage amps won't pass the current "regs" but they are mostly still safe to use.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • This is what happens when accountants take over the company.

In this case , when accountants actually build the amps themselves ...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom