Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tone Enhancing Pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I use a Boss FB-2 on my cleans and a Boss EH-2 after my Frantone Cream Puff, which is just about the greatest sound I've ever heard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I am always recommending this pedal, but honestly a Fairfield Accountant compressor into a clean BF Fender amp is a fat, full, sparkly thing of beauty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Current faves through my PRRI are the Super Hard On in the Zvex Double Rock, RYRA (beautiful clean boost) and an EP Booster when I had one. A TS-808 set as a clean boost was fantastic too.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I'll go for EP Booster too (always on) - miss mine and altho I am full Helix, I am considering adding that to the mix again

• Diamond Compressor was a great tone enhancer too
  • Gonna get killed for this, but a Cornish buffer will do wonders. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CTC Blackface Stardust, not a clean boost or tone enhancer but a bloody good OD for the Princeton Reverb excellent use at low volumes. Fave of Jim Campilongo also.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Gonna get killed for this, but a Cornish buffer will do wonders. 
    I almost broke the wisdom button there, so quickly did I move to support you.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I am always recommending this pedal, but honestly a Fairfield Accountant compressor into a clean BF Fender amp is a fat, full, sparkly thing of beauty.
    I'd like to try one of these...  
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    It depends what else you have in the chain and what the amp is. Compression is a nice to have if used well and you understand the effect on treble. An aural exciter well tuned can put sizzel on a tone and give strats that plugged in the board 80s tone among other things. If you're plugged into a nice single chanel valve amp then any overall signal boost can enhance the lovelyness that the amp imparts on the tone.
  • BBE Sonic Stomp -  although I just leave it on all the time.
    A klon clone can add some sparkle.

• I use an EP drive, and source audio EQ. Also a Cali76 for comp, for a boost I add a BD-2 with zero gain as it opens it up, with a push in the EQ (EQ is in the loop)
  • CTC Blackface Stardust, not a clean boost or tone enhancer but a bloody good OD for the Princeton Reverb excellent use at low volumes. Fave of Jim Campilongo also.
    Wisdom given for mentioning Jim :star: I saw the CTC on his website, he seems to go through a lot of posh overdrives ( despite not using them much) but I think he likes that as a match for the Princeton. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I like the J Rockett Lenny. Reasonably subtle but nice.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    edited September 2017
    My Snouse Blackbox does this job very well. It's so low gain that anything up to halfway is essentially clean with single coils. It's got a fantastic natural compression and roundness to it and it gives a little when you dig in. I would happily use it as my entire preamp. 
  • I like the J Rockett Lenny. Reasonably subtle but nice.
    I'd recommend the JRockett Blue Note (tour series version) as well.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Any Klone - trust me
  • Gassage said:
    Gonna get killed for this, but a Cornish buffer will do wonders. 
    I almost broke the wisdom button there, so quickly did I move to support you.
    :-) I knew you'd back me up! 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • My Snouse Blackbox does this job very well. It's so low gain that anything up to halfway is essentially clean with single coils. It's got a fantastic natural compression and roundness to it and it gives a little when you dig in. I would happily use it as my entire preamp. 
    Love mine too, although I use it more as a light overdrive than a clean boost.

Do you have the BB2 or the original?  If BB2, which mode do you run?
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    edited September 2017
    My Snouse Blackbox does this job very well. It's so low gain that anything up to halfway is essentially clean with single coils. It's got a fantastic natural compression and roundness to it and it gives a little when you dig in. I would happily use it as my entire preamp. 
    Love mine too, although I use it more as a light overdrive than a clean boost.

Do you have the BB2 or the original?  If BB2, which mode do you run?
    It's the original, though given how much I like it I've considered getting one of the more complex versions! I usually have it set (oclock) gain - 11, tone - 12, volume - 1. I wouldn't say it's strictly a clean setting like this, but when I can't turn my amp up to get that slight edge, warmth and compression it does wonders, with single coils at least! When I've used it with humbuckers the gain needs to come down to about 10 o'clock, it sounds wussy below that! 

I used it with a th a couple of amps live - my trusty MJW V20-ish thing, where it basically gives more of the same character but a little softer, and an MJW Electra 'Twang' which is blackface 6L6-y, where it made a fender clean into a Marshall clean. 

Id never gig without it, it just makes everything better. It stacks brilliantly into my timmy which I have set for a fairly flat crunch. Together they get a great boosted Marshall tone.