Strymon - El Capistan vs Deco

What's Hot
Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2189
I spent a long time deciding which to go for but went for the El Capistan in the end.

It's a wonderful delay but I now realise the deco would have been the better choice for me. I only use short delays and really liked the flange and saturation on the deco. 

Hey-ho I guess I'll end up ordering a deco next month then.  But if anyone is selling a used one please hit me up... or even better a possible trade for the El cap    .?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've always fancied a Deco.  Can you get straight up delay out of them, albeit with a limited delay time?

I suppose both pedals would be ideal.
  • The Deco is very good indeed, but the delay is very short
  • They're very different pedals so depends what you want to use then for.
  • Had both.  The el cap for slap is great I use in my rockabilly band I didn't  really like the slap  on the deco.  Jhs milkman is very good for slap as well
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    I might be interested in a trade for my Deco.  I've just traded an amp and ended up with a Deco and a Timeline.  I haven't really had time to properly play with them yet though, to decide what I'll want to keep.

BTW, I think I'm near you?  I'm in Oxford.  PM me if you are interested.
  • SaddlepunkSaddlepunk Frets: 47
    edited September 2017
    I'm not familiar with either pedal but I was watching the very interesting Eric Haugen going through his pedal board and, despite having very few pedals - he has both .
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

I've got both too, and I also only have a handful of pedals. I use the Deco mainly for flange modulation. It's max delay time is 500ms should you want to use it that way but it's not a versatile delay pedal so use will be limited.

The El Cap is absolutely brilliant - I got rid of my RE201 when I got it as that just seemed too much hassle when the El Cap sounds better in a lot of ways - doesn't look as cool though.

• My apologies Eric Haugen has a Flint & Deco! I'll get my coat...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Deco is amazing (which reminds me I have an NPD thread owing..) but is not really a delay pedal as such (though it obviously can be one), but should be thought of as a great tape machine sim that can do phase/chorus/flange effects precisely because they're all simple delay effects in their essence. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2189
    Hmm,.... thanks for the replies, ... I'm now starting consider going with both pedals, Doesn't appear that's too much overlap.   :) 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Fishboy7 said:
    Hmm,.... thanks for the replies, ... I'm now starting consider going with both pedals, Doesn't appear that's too much overlap.   :) 

Get both! Main drawback if you are hoping to get use out of the Deco as a regular delay pedal is that you are limited to max of two repeats. It is brilliant for the phasey flangey stuff though - and I really like the saturation side, it can be used as a light OD with mild compression. It really needs to be tried, it  is a hard pedal to describe. And you really have to have some knowledge of the two tape setup that it emulates to understand how to get the best from it.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16080
    Deco is my favourite pedal of all time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    Deco is my favourite pedal of all time

mine too