24 AWG solid core hook up wire

What's Hot
HapijoelHapijoel Frets: 7
edited September 2017 in Making & Modding
Hi all

Slowly collecting parts for my latest pedal build, and for the life of me, besides buying massive reels of the stuff, I can't find 24 AWG wire anywhere in the UK shorter than 30m.

I wondered if I'm missing an obvious store?!

thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Does it have to be exactly 24 AWG?

Wikipedia tells me that's 0.51mm.

The suppliers I know about are 0.6mm.  (Rapid electronics. Maplin etc.)  It'll be a bit thicker and stiffer but I'll claim that makes no difference :)

22m in a mix of colours for under 3 quid:

https://www.rapidonline.com/rapid-22m-single-core-wire-pack-11-x-2m-each-01-0102

• Yeah I've seen a few boxes of 22 AWG assorted which would be ideal...I'm doing my first breadboard so just wanted to keep it as clean as possible, the different in width was my concern, but I'd be happy to use 22 if it was barely any...

thanks though!
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    If you want it specifically for those plastic breadboards with the sprung connectors inside, the 0.6mm fits the connectors just fine. (But yes, overall including the plastic jacket it is probably a little thicker than 24awg though.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks Ravenous! I'll keep that in mind and may just bite the bullet if it comes to it.
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 415
    edited September 2017
       If you could use stranded which is easier and less prone to breaking then use alarm cable . Buy on a 100mtr drum , a lot cheaper than specific "hook up wire" 6 core or 8 core (more usefull) .  Just make sure you buy TINNED COPPER , it's easy to strip into singles .     A 100mtr drum will do over 100 pedals easy .        
       Be carefull though , there is a lot of cheap stuff out there , it will be marked    CCA      - do not get this , it is Copper Clad Alluminium 

If you want solid then cat5 , it's mostly sold on  305mtr reels though .  Perhaps where you work has some knocking around after having computer points installed ?  
        Again  make sure it is the solid copper and not CCA .

You don't happen to know where to get good quality 3pdt footswitches from at a reasonable price do you ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HapijoelHapijoel Frets: 7
    edited September 2017
    You don't happen to know where to get good quality 3pdt footswitches from at a reasonable price do you ?   
    I've got to be honest, I'm cheating with this build, and got the 3DTP from Fuzz Dog Pedal Parts because I want to try out his daughter board for it...