Gibson cherry dye and grain fill

i was watching one of those Gibson factory tours a while back and seem to remember them doing the cherry dye on mahogany all mixed up with grain filler. 

I seem to to be ending up with a few that have been sitting around for a while that I could do with finishing quickly in cherry  and it seemed ideal to mixup the dye with the grain filler in this style to save time.

anybody got any pointers to how this is done or a good way to do it. They said its largely mahogany saw dust and wood dye but it needs a binder I presume.

or could do each one manually but it seemed like a useful shortcut
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    I use a mixture of natural and dark mahogany oil based filler then mix in oil based cherry aniline dye powder and adjust to strength needed

I think the filler is jacofil, I get it from j penny online

It needs to be fairly runny like mayonnaise
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Thanks I have had the oil based analine for a while for this so will get the filler ordered and do a couple tests.

i presume you are dissolving this to strength first then adding in until you have the colour or does it go in dry and get dissolved by the oil in thei filler.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    The jacofil is runny enough to just mix powder straight in so I don't add anything else

I've also sprayed over with a cherry laquer if I want it stronger looking

You'll have to see what works for you
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)